Bell 205 Huey

Humor me, whats the procedure for a lost tail rotor?

I understand auto rotations and in fact have experienced them a few times (had a friend who make loved doing that). But no idea on the tail rotor thing.

For the most part its an autorotation event. it depends on weather or not you've lost tail rotor effectiveness, which is a loss of aerodynamic thrust, usually due to tail rotor vortex ring state, which is a non event, you just gain some airspeed and fly the tailrotor out of its vorticies. A complete loss of the tail rotor itself or a malfunction of the tail rotor drive system,(transmission to TR drive shaft, or tail rotor gearbox failure) is usually an autorotation in that removing the torque effect of the main rotor relieves you of the need for anti-torque correction. This assumes you have enough forward airspeed to use slipstreaming to keep the aircraft pionted strait ahead. This is somewhat of a canned answer though, because you still have to land which requires you to either do a full auto to the surface, or add power before touchdown resulting in reapplication of main rotor torque, and resulting yaw. this can be handled if you set down before the yaw becomes out of hand (spinning uncontrollably) or if you have the room a high speed running landing is usually best. Regardless, a complete loss of tail rotor requires a slick pilot and diapers. Unfortunately in most cases the result is a loss of the aircraft after power is reapplied before touchdown-it spins and resulting dynamic rollover occurs.

• Upvote 2

I think you should.

Or choose not to express it, lest it gives those reading it an opportunity to assume for themselves the credibility, maturity and intelligence of the person expressing it. What you so conspicuously fail to grasp is that the right to an opinion is not the same thing as the right to express it, and if you do exercise some perceived `right to express` you must also accept that others will express their rights to opine about you and yours. And in replying you may only serve to reinforce their opinion of your opinion.

Just think on that before rushing to keyboard, will you..?

I'd like to think the conversation is over. can we move on now. I get your point, I'm a jerk, now lets talk helicopters and stop the banter.

• Upvote 2

Hi Mathijs,

Basically, the tail rotor stop's the helicopter from spinning in the same direction as the rotor blades, hence, anti torque pedals (not rudder pedals as some may call them) applied in the opposite direction to the main rotor rotation. If you lose the main rotor for whatever reason, be it engine failure or gearbox etcetera then you can auto rotate back down to earth :)

If you happen to lose the tail rotor, then basically kiss your butt bye bye, as there is no way in the world you can effectively control the aircraft as it is now what would be called "in free spin". The aircraft is now spinning in the same direction and speed as the main rotor. Without the rear rotor to stabilise the aircraft, anti torque is redundant resulting in you hitting the ground faster than you wished :wacko: Try walking away from that one :excl:

Why someone would want to recreate this type of situation within flight sim beats me :excl: as it achieves absolutely nothing :excl::excl:

I admit its not a fun circumstance, but In my case, I sim using a full flightlink setup with avionics and all, including 110 inch HD projection for realism, and a seperate 19 inch flat-screen for my guage cluster. This is great for staying fresh on instrument procedures and enroute stuff.(BTW I highly recommend using realityXP guages) This helps reduce the amount of time you have to use in actual aircraft staying fresh. I'm not talking about currency mind you, just muscle memory. If you've ever flown XPlane, it simulates these emergency events like tail rotor failures as well as you could expect from a non certified FTD. Repeted simulations of these events (set to randomly occur during your flight) result in a higher level of proficiency should you ever (shudder) experience it in a real aircraft. As with many emergencies in helicopters your reactions MUST be instant, instinctive, and correct to result in success. anything less results in fatalities. Helicopters are not nearly as forgiving as airplanes. Like they say the biggest difference between good helicopter pilots and bad ones is the good ones are still alive. To say it achieves nothing is foolish. I take it you have no real experience to speak of. Tail rotor failures are manageable if done right by a skilled pilot. I don't think I could ever fly if I had the attitude that there is nothing that can be done in the event of an emergency. Granted some things are unrecoverable, loss of a main rotor blade perhaps, bird strikes and wire strikes are the number one killers of helicopters. things like low rotor rpm blade stalls(caused by overpitching which deteriorates rotor RPM) are not recoverable but are preventable by an alert and well schooled pilot...Especially if he/she takes the time to practice and prepare for every thing he/she possibly can. These sims are becoming better and better for this, and while I can identify with everyones need for the more fun side of sim-flying, there are those of us who use these sims to the best of our abilities for the purpose of improving our abilities.

• Upvote 2

I did also forget to specify by "loss of tail rotor" I do mean that it is still attached, just not functioning... Losing the tail rotor itself, and God forbid the tail rotor gear box, would obviously be fatal, as the resulting change in CG would be incredibly far outside the forward limits. you would become a lawn dart. This could also be a compuonded problem as the abrupt forward pitching could result in severing the tail boom in an effort to correct with extreme aft cyclic.

Well I don't know about anyone else Tom, but I don't read each thread on a daily basis. Real life can be distracting that way. However, I came back to this thread this morning to read with interest what you'd written and thought it would be interesting to see contributions from you on the Beta (although I have no say who will be on that team), but following your final comments I truly wonder if anyone with an obvious and admitted lack of patience could benefit that team? With that said, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

• Upvote 1

Well I don't know about anyone else Tom, but I don't read each thread on a daily basis. Real life can be distracting that way. However, I came back to this thread this morning to read with interest what you'd written and thought it would be interesting to see contributions from you on the Beta (although I have no say who will be on that team), but following your final comments I truly wonder if anyone with an obvious and admitted lack of patience could benefit that team? With that said, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Can't disagree with that statement my friend..... Patience is a virtue... could go on but what the heck :D

• Upvote 2

Yes lets not, :cheers_s:

I would like to see if there are any recent screen shots of this up and coming whirly-bird?

Between this future release and the A-10 its hard to contain my enthusiasm for the future launches

:D

Randy

Hello,

OK, now directly from the source.

I will show images of the VC as soon as there is a status to show. Properbly next week, maybe a bit earlier, maybe a bit later.

Working on this at the moment.

Same procedure as in the airbusproject. First VC, that the coder can start his work, then exterior.

Proces of VC design at the moment maybe 38 til 40%

Bests Joachim

Mr. Joachim Schweigler,

OK, I'm glad to read this... I was under the impression that this project may have got abandoned due to other projects taking priority; like, perhaps, the Airbus. Do you think this bird will be ready by December'09 for the holidays or much much later?

• Upvote 1

OK; this screen is ONLY to show, that there "is" progess.

Please do NOT point me on the various mistakes in it, I know them, there is NOTHING, really nothing finished, and I didn't even start on some things.

I just wanted to show a nice picture. :-)

More detailed later

OK; this screen is ONLY to show, that there "is" progess.

Please do NOT point me on the various mistakes in it, I know them, there is NOTHING, really nothing finished, and I didn't even start on some things.

I just wanted to show a nice picture. :-)

More detailed later

• Aerosoft

Mr. Joachim Schweigler,

OK, I'm glad to read this... I was under the impression that this project may have got abandoned due to other projects taking priority; like, perhaps, the Airbus. Do you think this bird will be ready by December'09 for the holidays or much much later?

The only link between the team that does the Airbus and the team that does the Huey is me. And I hardly matter at all. December does not seem impossible at this moment.

• 3 weeks later...