fuel burn vs fuel planner

mr.ocjr

So I have done a dozen or so flights with the A319 and I have run out of fuel on decent on every one of them.

The last flight was CYUL-KPHX and the fuel planner with an average of 44kt head wind calculated a trip burn of 9826kg with a fuel load of 14000kg and a ZFW of 54113kg. The fuel ran out about 80 mi from KPHX.

Simbrief figured slightly more fuel 14,800kg but with a planned landing fuel of 3000kg the burn is still off. I attached the flight plan for reference.

What am I missing?

CYULKPHX_PDF_1540100397.pdf

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, for a turbojet/turbofan powered aircraft, optimal flight level increases over time, assuming a constant temperature (slight simplification). This is due to decreasing weight caused by fuel burn.

2 hours ago, mr.ocjr said:

So I have done a dozen or so flights with the A319 and I have run out of fuel on decent on every one of them.

The last flight was CYUL-KPHX and the fuel planner with an average of 44kt head wind calculated a trip burn of 9826kg with a fuel load of 14000kg and a ZFW of 54113kg. The fuel ran out about 80 mi from KPHX.

Simbrief figured slightly more fuel 14,800kg but with a planned landing fuel of 3000kg the burn is still off. I attached the flight plan for reference.

What am I missing?

CYULKPHX_PDF_1540100397.pdf

As a beta tester I can tell you at the moment we are working on tweaking the performance. 

It will improve however over a 6 hour flight you will be 2 Tons short on fuel if you go by the fuel planner.  SIMBRIEF is much more accurate but nothing is perfect.  I can tell you from flying the real BUS that we have fuel factors for each of our aircraft because the actual burn is not the same as the planned.  Once we factor in that bias then it's pretty much right on.  So do this.

In your OFP you get from SIMBRIEF you have an average fuel burn per hour.  Do some flights, long haul and short haul and determine the average ACTUAL fuel burn per hour.  After you have done say 5 flights take the average of that and add that as a Fuel BIAS.  Or just toss in a random fuel bias say 5%, then after the flight see if you burned more or less, then modify it a percentage or two.   You can hone in on it quicker that way.

Archived