Tutorial for FSDG Paro in Prepar3D v4?

LecLightning56

Just purchased FSDG Paro and must say this is very challenging to fly in a simulator and am not surprised that only a handful of pilots are qualified to land aircraft at Paro.

The user manual states that a tutorial and exam are available as missions. How do I access them in Prepar3D v4?

Thanks Mathijs for the information. The User Manual from FSDG does mention Prepar3D, but even in Prepar3D v3, no tutorial is installed into the sim.

Please confirm if the tutorial should be available in Prepar3D v3.

No all FSX missions do not work in P3D as far as I know.

There are a ton of good youtube videos. Watch them, either real ones or simulator-videos, both will be fine. I learned it that way and I am not quite sure what a FSX mission could do better.

14 minutes ago, david.hilker said:

No all FSX missions do not work in P3D as far as I know.

The User Manual for FSDG Paro does actually state that a tutorial is available in Prepar3D under Scenarios/Tutorials (not missions). My question is therefore raised which tutorial in Prepar3D v3 since this was not installed with FSDG Paro?

I have installed FSDG Paro in FSX-SE, which does actually install the tutorials in the missions folder. If I then copy the tutorials in the Scenarios/Tutorials folder in Prepar3d v3, the Paro tutorial with the Drukair A319 does actually work in Prepar3D v3 with appropriate editing to account for the folder change between FSX-SE and Prepar3d v3 itself.

So, I have proved the point that it is possible to use the FSX-SE mission in Prepar3D v3, but there may  be incompatibilities between the file formats in Prepar3D v4 which prevent the use of such tutorials in this sim.

It will still be of advantage to confirm everything with the appropriate contact at FSDG to make things abundantly clear.

On the other side of this coin... the chart for the airport pretty much tells you everything one needs to know to fly in/out of Paro.  It's an excellent flight to make!

Best wishes.

Well I have now managed to transfer the Missions installed in FSX-SE for FSDG Paro to Prepar3D v4 successfully such that the tutorial and exam are possible to use in Prepar3D v4 itself. The trick for the Airbus A319 Professional has been to load the A319 in Prepar3D v4 and save the flight. This creates a ASC file which is compatible with the A319 Professional (the ASC file installed in the missions folder in FSX-SE with FSDG Paro is incompatible with the 64-bit version of the Airbus). Simply replace the original ASC file installed by FSDG Paro with the ASC file for the Airbus A319 Professional. When you start Prepar3D v4 and load the tutorial (Paro-Tutorial_A319), the aircraft loads successfully and you can follow the tutorial.

I still think some response from the scenery project manager may well be required, lest he/she has a better solution for those wishing to follow the tutorial in Prepar3D v3/v4.

On 9.10.2018 at 00:10, DaveCT2003 sagte:

On the other side of this coin... the chart for the airport pretty much tells you everything one needs to know to fly in/out of Paro.  It's an excellent flight to make!

Best wishes.

I wonder, which chart you are referring to? I agree, that this tutorial is not really needed but from the charts i know I can't see which path to fly and at which speed as it is mostly VFR. 

For runway 15 there are a ton of videos and this is the approach I am using most of the times. But for runway 33 I could not find enough information and have never really made a satisfactory approach.

Last time I saw that there are now RNAV appraoches available but they are quite new, aren't they? And it's not like they lead you right to the threshold :)

The information, especially for the RNAV approaches, is in the narrative.  The RNAV approaches will only take you down to a certain altitude (I don't recall what it is) to get you below cloud level, and from their it's a visual approach.

Best wishes!

That the tutorial is not really needed may well be the case if you adhere to the RNAV approaches which are now published for Paro. What the tutorial does provide is a fun procedure which initially requires the use of a VOR beacon combined with a talk-through commentary and commands as the approach unwinds (very much a hands-on procedure with limited use of autopilot and certainly no automation through the programming of an RNAV procedure). The idea is that you initially fly towards the airport on a heading of 328 degrees at 12,500 feet and confirm visual contact, then perform a hazardous 180 degree turn within a gorge to attempt a visual landing on RW15. It would seem that this procedure may have been followed for Paro before the advent of an RNAV alternative, hazardous though it is.

I am not arguing about the lack of study material, but merely seeking the developer's response on whether the tutorial created for Paro was intended to be used in Prepar3D (it only installs in FSX and FSX-SE) and, if so, why we cannot install it directly into the sim.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, david.hilker said:

Your best guess is to go to FSDG's forum directly. They developed the airport and there you will get an answer to your question for sure.

I have posted on the FSDG forum and the final and definitive response from their developer Thorsten is:

"EDIT: I only just realized we completely removed the mission from the final release candidate. It's not an official feature of the addon (not listed on the product pages). We should remove it from the manual though.
Sorry for the inconvenience."

This means that no mission tutorial is installed in Prepar3d v3, although the installer I purchased does install the mission tutorial in FSX and FSX-SE.

Note to Forum Administrator: please close the topic as a definitive response to the thread has been provided by FSDG for the Paro scenery.

Archived