Connecting with flight simulation users in my area

Chris C

What would be the best way to connect with users of flight simulation in my area?  I'd like to personally meet with someone and maybe have an opportunity to see a flight simulation setup in person.

8 minutes ago, Chris C said:

What would be the best way to connect with users of flight simulation in my area?  I'd like to personally meet with someone and maybe have an opportunity to see a flight simulation setup in person.

I remember doing this back around 1980 and it was great fun to meet up with people.  Then for the most part we moved to Bulletin Board systems, and then of course came the Internet.  It's a sign of the times and technological advancement that has made us an Internet community rather than a face to face community (save for a few groups and the annual flight sim conferences around the world.

So to your question.  The only thing I can think of is to put an add in your local paper, Bulletin Boards, etc.  That said, I would instead recommend you becoming part of an online group (not too many of these left, and the ones I know about are private groups) or Virtual Airlines.  Voice servers and webcams turn long distance into face to face, and you are bound to meet many more people online than a local, face to face meeting.

Best wishes.

Okay, thanks.  Much appreciated, Dave.  I was really just hoping to be invited to sit at a console and test fly something to see if it's really something I'd like to get into.  And it would be more fun to do that in person with an experienced "flyer".  Just a thought on my part.

10 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Okay, thanks.  Much appreciated, Dave.  I was really just hoping to be invited to sit at a console and test fly something to see if it's really something I'd like to get into.  And it would be more fun to do that in person with an experienced "flyer".  Just a thought on my part.

I understand.  I wish you the very best of luck!

Oh, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that you haven't said where you're from.  You might be around the corner from me or someone else reading this forum, but you'd never know this unless you tell us where you are.  ;)

4 hours ago, Chris C said:

Sorry, Dave, I didn't see a place to enter that information in my profile like on other forum sites.  I live in Central Oklahoma, USA, if that helps anyone.

No worries my friend, all in good fun.

I've happily been in the flight sim community for over 35 years, and if you need any advice I'd be happy to share it. Just let me know what you're interested in.  Additionally, there are tons of videos of flight sim streams on Twitch and Youtube (just search for flight or flight simulation and you'll be all set.  Beyond that, our new Airbus Professional has a Connected Flight Deck mode (available after Service Pack 1 (an upcoming update)) which allows two people to operate the Airbus. One of the best benfits of Connected Flight Deck is you can jump in the aircraft and make a flight with an experienced person, and doing this this reduces the learning curve by a factor of up to 10!!!

Best wishes my friend - oh, and welcome to the Aerosoft forums!

• Aerosoft

I have been thinking about using the forum to have people meet up. Will check on that when things calm down a bit.  In countries like Germany and Holland (bit less in France and Belgium) there are many monthly meetings of enthousiast. Some have been running for 20+ years.

I would be interested in that, for sure, Mathijas.  Surely there is someone in Central Oklahoma, USA, who uses some sort of flight simulation at home.

Archived