Reverse thrust

Josh Drummond

I'll take a look at this on my next Airbus flight, but in the meantime I'd like to get a little more information from you.

Are you manually landing, or are you performing an Autoland?

The way it's supposed to work is that the A/THR commands IDLE thrust (should be displayed as such on the FMA) at the automated RETARD callout (occurs at 10ft Radio Altitude).  This way the engines are already at Idle when the pilot selects Reverse Thrust.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

I usually do manual landings.  Shut the A/P off at 1000-500 ft.  I retard my throttles about 70 and try to bring her down slow and easy.  As soon as my main gear touch down I try to apply reverse thrust and nothing.  My nose gear touches down and nothing happens.  I slow to about 40 kts and finally my reverse thrust engages.  Meanwhile my throttle positions are left in the same place once I've retarded my engines.

Josh,

Since you're landing manually (nothing wrong with that, I usually do so myself) then you will have to put the engines to Idle somewhere between 50ft (good place to start) and 20ft while performing the flare manually. 

Anyway, let me know exactly which bus and livery, and I'll take her up tomorrow and take another look at this.

Best wishes my friend.

Josh,

I performed manual approaches in both the A321 CFM and IAE this morning and the reversers worked perfectly.  In the IAE (such as you are reporting) my EPR was 1.06 during short final.

The only thing I can think of us your throttle axis calibration.  Would you please take a screen shot of the P3D Controller Calibration page and post it here?

Thanks.

1. Josh, that is correct.  Not sure why you're sharing that with me though ;)

2. I'm using P3D, and it works fine for me.  Remember, we strongly encourage our customers to use P3D for controller settings, but if customers wish to FSUIPC then any fine tuning for controllers is really up to them.

I'm not sure why you're having the issue that you are, but the aircraft software itself is working as designed.  As such, the issue must be with FSUIPC settings.  I do know a few people who use FSUIPC and they don't have the issue you're having.  Maybe the slope for the reversers?  Again, I don't use FSUIPC so I really can't be on more help my friend.

If you feel strongly that there is a problem with our software, please put in a formal support ticket at the link below (but I'll tell you know that you're most likely get the same answer as I've provided you).  One thing you could do is reach out on the FSUIPC forums to see if somewhere there can take a look at your settings?

Sorry I wasn't able to be of more help my friend.

My very best wishes.

I do know I can set up profiles in P3D for button controls.  If I go this direction what is the best way to do it without FSUIPC?  I did notice there's only one possible selection for throttle decrease in the P3D key assignments.  Is there a way to set up for multiple engines?

I got it working.  I had the reversers in FSUIPC set up as 2 throttles instead of one so Throttle1 Dec and Throttle2 Dec.  Some reasone the airbus wasn't excepting this.  I reprogramed FSUIPC for Throttle Dec and Throttle Cut and what do ya know.  I did some RTOs and I got the bus up to 160 kts and engaged reverse thrust and what do ya know.  It engaged immediately  when I moved the throttle back to idle no matter what the numbers on the EPR said.  So now the question is why can't I program dual reversers?

43 minutes ago, Josh Drummond said:

I got it working.  I had the reversers in FSUIPC set up as 2 throttles instead of one so Throttle1 Dec and Throttle2 Dec.  Some reasone the airbus wasn't excepting this.  I reprogramed FSUIPC for Throttle Dec and Throttle Cut and what do ya know.  I did some RTOs and I got the bus up to 160 kts and engaged reverse thrust and what do ya know.  It engaged immediately  when I moved the throttle back to idle no matter what the numbers on the EPR said.  So now the question is why can't I program dual reversers?

Well there you go!  I'm very, VERY happy to hear you figured this out my friend, GREAT JOB!

Now get up there and enjoy your flights brother!

Best wishes.

Archived