A321 Fuel Question

CAPFlyer

I know in the past there's been talk about manually modifying the Center fuel tank to give the capacity of the ACTs (which are installed on most of the A321 fleet now), but does that still work with the new version?

Also, is there any way this could just be done as an official update?  I find it odd to have an airplane that kinda-sorta is a -200 model but doesn't have the extra fuel tanks that make it a real competitor to the 757.

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Also, is there any way this could just be done as an official update?  I find it odd to have an airplane that kinda-sorta is a -200 model but doesn't have the extra fuel tanks t

As you said yourself, EXTRA fuel tanks. Normal A320FAM aircraft are not delivered with these. It is an option. Maybe AS will do something like this with an SP. I find it odd that you really consider an A321 CEO as a competitor for the 757, but you are probably mixing stuff up here.

Frank, with due respect, that response is wrong.  First, the vast majority of A321 aircraft in service have at least 1 of the ACTs.  In fact, looking at the Type Certificate Data Sheet, the models listed that are "non-ACT" equipped suggests the number to be less than a few hundred out of nearly 1800 A321ceo's built.  It also appears the vast number of A321neo's will have at least 1 ACT installed as well, and that version has the option for 3 (2 aft, 1 forward) instead of the 2 of the A321-200ceo.

As for the A321 competing with the 757, that's from Airbus's own mouth.  When the A321 was announced, the 757 was still in production and the 737-900ER hadn't yet been announced (and the 737-900 had hit its snag with emergency exits so it was no longer Boeing's "replacement" for the 757).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived