Terrain on ND problem / differences on aircraft state

sotakoira musti

Hi!

First of all, I’m aware of AV related problems. WIN10 defender quarantined files but i was able to retrieve them and mark them as safe files. I’ve tried to search the forum for answers, but didn’t find this kind of problem (or just wasn’t looking hard enough).

Now I’ve come across with interesting problem: terrain shows on ND when on take off state. When cold and dark, it won’t work. I just tested with v4.3 default airfield KVSP and with every aircraft (A318-319-320-321). Every plane’s ND terrain was fine when I loaded take off state. And on the opposite, when cold and dark, no cigar.

I’ve reinstalled both 318/319 and 320/321, but the same problem exists. I changed AV from win defender to avast, no effect. And to confuse a little more, terrain works on ND even when starting from cold and dark, but only now and then.

WIN 10 was installed a week a go (fresh) and p3d v4.3 was the first program to be installed.

Happy landings,

Musti

7 minutes ago, sotakoira musti said:

Hi!

First of all, I’m aware of AV related problems. WIN10 defender quarantined files but i was able to retrieve them and mark them as safe files. I’ve tried to search the forum for answers, but didn’t find this kind of problem (or just wasn’t looking hard enough).

Now I’ve come across with interesting problem: terrain shows on ND when on take off state. When cold and dark, it won’t work. I just tested with v4.3 default airfield KVSP and with every aircraft (A318-319-320-321). Every plane’s ND terrain was fine when I loaded take off state. And on the opposite, when cold and dark, no cigar.

I’ve reinstalled both 318/319 and 320/321, but the same problem exists. I changed AV from win defender to avast, no effect. And to confuse a little more, terrain works on ND even when starting from cold and dark, but only now and then.

WIN 10 was installed a week a go (fresh) and p3d v4.3 was the first program to be installed.

Happy landings,

Musti

I haven't tried the Cold-and-Dark state for a while, but I know the Terrain Map shows fine in the Ready-to-Start state.  I'll take a look at the Cold-n-Dark tomorrow to confirm what you're seeing.

Thanks for the report.

By the way, try loading into the Ready-to-Start state, and after the aircraft completely settles out then load the Cold-and-Dark - it should work, but please let me know.

Best wishes.

Okay, I did a little test with A320. As said before by Dave, take off state works perfectly. And when the aircraft was stable, I changed to cold and dark. After the ND came alive, terrain was working. I changed to another A320 and terrain worked again even when starting with cold and dark.

Then I restarted p3d and loaded the same A320, cold and dark. And yes, terrain wasn’t showing on the ND. Then I changed back to take off state, and terrain was working perfectly. But this time, when reseting to cold and dark, and starting allover again, terrain wasn’t working. 

In conclusion, it seems to me that terrain on ND isn’t working when starting for the first time from cold and dark. But after you get it working by using take off state, then it works whatever aircraft state you’re using. Or then again, it won’t work. As prove on the second try. 

Pretty flimsy theory, someone who is more competent could test this a couple of times.

Musti

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just checked it with the A320 and when loading the bus in C&D and walking through all required procedures, both TerrainOnND and WX-radar work perfect.

I assume when starting with C&D you simply forgot to turn on the WX Radar in the lower pedestal , which is been done auomatically, when load Take-off-state.

5 hours ago, mopperle said:

Just checked it with the A320 and when loading the bus in C&D and walking through all required procedures, both TerrainOnND and WX-radar work perfect.

I assume when starting with C&D you simply forgot to turn on the WX Radar in the lower pedestal , which is been done auomatically, when load Take-off-state.

No, that wasn’t the reason. WX-radar was on when starting from cold and dark. Did everything according to checklists. And WX-radar and terrain wasn’t working. When starting from take off state, both started working immediately.

30 minutes ago, sotakoira musti said:

No, that wasn’t the reason. WX-radar was on when starting from cold and dark. Did everything according to checklists. And WX-radar and terrain wasn’t working. When starting from take off state, both started working immediately.

Any change you forgot to increase the brightness for the radar overlay? It's the outer knob on the nav display brightness knob.

I just loaded the A320 IAE and the radar works as intended.

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 52 Minuten, sotakoira musti sagte:

So you are sure you turned it on here when coming from C&D:

Please login to display this image.

Yes, that’s correct. But anyways, WX-radar switch position should not affect terrain showing @ND?

Nevertheless, if starting with take off state and then switching to cold and dark works as a workaround, I’m happy with it. So from my point of view, this topic can be closed.

The bird itself is a pleasure to fly!

Musti

Archived