Unable to get 'WINDS' in the FMS

CPBrown

I'm running Airbus Professional v1.1.0.1 in Prepar3D v 4.2.21.24048 on Windows 10 Pro.  When I request WINDS in the FMS the following happens.  Following the Step-by-Step guide, in INIT A I enter the CO RTE value as FRALHR1, EGSS into the ALTN, Enter the IRS INIT page confirm the current position, Enter the FLT NBR.

I then press LSK4R to access the CLIMB WIND page,

LSK1L has [   ] o /  [   ] / [   ] against it and wind REQUEST* against LSK3R.

I press LSK3R and I get  five rows of   - - - / - - - / - - - -  for a few seconds then it goes back to the initial  [   ] o /  [   ] / [   ]  against LSK1L again.

Same thing happens on the CRUISE WIND and the DESCEND WIND pages.

I haven't seen anyone else with this problem so I'm assuming its to do with my setup.

I'm using the default Prepar3D weather engine.

I don't have the Airbus loaded into the default location by the way.  It on my SSD drive at D:/Aerosoft/ Aerosoft A318-A319 Professional/

Any thoughts??

• Deputy Sheriffs

1. P3Dv4.2 is not supported. Update to 4.3–> uninstall client, install 4.3 client.

2. For wind data upload, you have to:

a) create a .wx file in the PMDG format. It has to be placed in [sim root]\PMDG\WX folder, or

b) load the flightplan in active sky

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, masterhawk said:

1. P3Dv4.2 is not supported. Update to 4.3–> uninstall client, install 4.3 client.

a) create a .wx file in the PMDG format. It has to be placed in [sim root]\PMDG\WX folder, or

b) load the flightplan in active sky

This answer has created a question for me.

The data of the winds for the ascent, route and descent, the Airbus reads them from the file exported from PFPX to the folder for PMDG?

I mean the folder \Prepar3D\PMDG\WX

Thank you.

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Miguel_V said:

This answer has created a question for me.

The data of the winds for the ascent, route and descent, the Airbus reads them from the file exported from PFPX to the folder for PMDG?

I mean the folder \Prepar3D\PMDG\WX

Thank you.

Yes

On 9/5/2018 at 5:25 PM, masterhawk said:

Is there, or anywhere somehow to do that, or explanation of this? I used Rex SF weather and EFASS NG for the flightplans.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I dont know how Rex SF or EFASS NG works. When I load the flightplan in Active Sky, the mentioned .wx file is automatically written in the folder Bob mentioned. And I guess that Rex SF and EFASS should do it the same way.

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, MikaV said:

Is there, or anywhere somehow to do that, or explanation of this? I used Rex SF weather and EFASS NG for the flightplans.

I use PFPX for creating a flightplan. An WX file is also created by PFPX. Maybe SIMBRIEF has a similar function.

Hi masterhawk,  Thanks for responding.

1.  I am in fact running P3Dv4.3.29.25520.  Not sure why I quoted v4.2.21.24048 in my original post, must have looked at an old record.

2.  Ummm.  Why would P3D's weather engine write data to PMDG folder.  I dont have any PMDG aircraft loaded so wont have a PMDG folder.

As to generating the weather data via PFPX, does not the weather, (winds), get generated via P3D's weather setup. Does not AeroSoft read the wind info from what the weather engine (P3D's) generating?, or are you saying this doesn't work with the default weather engine despite it being available in the setup settings?   I cannot find any of this documented.

• Deputy Sheriffs

1. If you have no PMDG product you can create this folder yourself.

2. Yes, P3D doesn’t create the wx file. Therefor an external Programm is required. SIMBRIEF, PFPX or some weather engines support it. Maybe other tools also. We have chosen the wx file, because it is already supported by several programs. We did this instead of creating our own standard.

3. We read the weather data from sim for the ATIS AOC message, not for the winduplink.

Hi,

Please allow me to interfere the topic and ask my questions also. I am having the same problem with the winds and could not find a proper answer still.

1. The statement 

On 9/15/2018 at 11:11 PM, masterhawk said:

1. If you have no PMDG product you can create this folder yourself.

makes the subject even more confusing. For what reason a PMDG folder should be created? I sincerely hope that Aerosoft had made lots of own folders where data can be kept instead of sharing folders belonging to other manufacturers. Sorry, but this sounds with no value to me.

2. Did anyone checked properly the MCDU3 menu structure? There is a place where the Customer can chose between SIM and VATSIM weather usage. For what is this when none of them work?

3. I am planning my flights with PFPX and using AS. The result for obtaining wind data is negative.

Please let someone comment and CPBrown, please excuse me once again for using your topic.

5 minutes ago, Goshob said:

Hi,

Please allow me to interfere the topic and ask my questions also. I am having the same problem with the winds and could not find a proper answer still.

1. The statement 

makes the subject even more confusing. For what reason a PMDG folder should be created? I sincerely hope that Aerosoft had made lots of own folders where data can be kept instead of sharing folders belonging to other manufacturers. Sorry, but this sounds with no value to me.

2. Did anyone checked properly the MCDU3 menu structure? There is a place where the Customer can chose between SIM and VATSIM weather usage. For what is this when none of them work?

3. I am planning my flights with PFPX and using AS. The result for obtaining wind data is negative.

Please let someone comment and CPBrown, please excuse me once again for using your topic.

Active Sky makes a .wx file into the folder: ?:\..\Prepar3D v4\PMDG\WX\ named with the from and to airports you loaded into Active Sky. Aerosoft simply reads this file that was created by Active Sky. This way there's no need to make modifications to Active Sky or other software to get support for the weather data.

The only gotcha is that you need to load the same waypoints into Active Sky as you have on your flight plan to get the data to load. My process is to export the company route from Simbrief for both Aerosoft and 'p3d' so I can load the p3d file into Active Sky. I'm sure pfpx can also do this.

• Deputy Sheriffs

@Goshob:

Question 1: PMDG came up with this very soon and as other tools like AS, Simbrief or PFPX also make use of this specific folder, It wouldnt Have made any sense to introduce another folder which is not used by other tools.

Question 2: Simply leave it to SIM; the other options are meant for flying online

Hi,

Thank you @mopperle and @Mathijs Kok for the explanation. Some last clarifications please:

1. Do I need to create a folder ?:\..\Prepar3D v4\PMDG\WX\ on my drive because I do not have such now?

2. What about when I fly online? I am flying with VATSIM too often and would like to use the bus.

Thank you!

Hi Gentlemen,

Please once more clarify with the developers how does this work? Most important is from which folder the MCDU reads the wind data.

I had created ?:\..\Prepar3D v4\PMDG\WX\ on my drive as advised. AS writes 3 files there when the flight plan is loaded. The files are activeflightplanwx.txt, current_wx_snapshot.txt and EDDBLDSP.wx. My plane is in EDDB and no winds data is loaded whatever option I set on MCDU3. You can check the attached and is obvious that there is data in them.

Please comment.

EDDBLDSP.wx

current_wx_snapshot.txt

activeflightplanwx.txt

Hi,

To make the things a bit more clear, let me post something after Internet researches. Hope I am not reinventing the wheel...

P3D V4 Generated folders:

Documents ►Prepar3D v4 files \ Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ►Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4

Based on this, please clarify where the PMDG folder should be placed for proper weather reading. I am repeating again my question asked yesterday:

13 hours ago, Goshob said:

Most important is from which folder the MCDU reads the weather data?

Sincerely hope that we can finalize this today...

Thank you!

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 10 Stunden , Goshob sagte:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\PMDG\WX

Ok, this is the correct place for the PMDG folder, although installing P3D under C:\Program Files is a bad choice as this folder is under control of the WIndows UAC, which means you might run into permission problems.

I created a flightplan EDDB/LDSP yesterday, loaded in AS and AS placed the EDDBLDSP.wx in that folder, from where it was read by the Airbus. But AS did not write the other 2 files you are mentioning. Are you sure that you Have the P3dv4 version of AS? Also, did you enter Dep and Arr Airport in INIT page 1?

• Deputy Sheriffs

vor 15 Stunden , Goshob sagte:

AS writes 3 files there when the flight plan is loaded.

And yes of course flightplan must be loaded too. Happens for me "automatically".

Hi,

Even though I am a bit concerned where this discussions go, let me continue it and hopefully we come to a reasonable solution.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, mopperle said:

Ok, this is the correct place for the PMDG folder, although installing P3D under C:\Program Files is a bad choice as this folder is under control of the WIndows UAC, which means you might run into permission problems.

This is a subject, where I honestly do not like to be involved. There are tons of writing for it and everyone considers his own opinion as the rightmost one. A good example can be this one: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/515345-p3dv4-install-location-does-it-matter-anymore/ 

I simply installed P3D (my version is 4.3.29.25520) in the default folder suggested by the installer. I can move it to a different location, if necessary.

Are you sure that you Have the P3dv4 version of AS?

I am sure that the version of AS installed on my computer is ASP4 update 071818. It is stated to be the recent update for AS: https://hifisimtech.com/downloads/#ASP4.

My question to you @mopperle is did you make any changes in the default folders of AS? It writes the weather data to C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 by default btw!?

Also, did you enter Dep and Arr Airport in INIT page 1?

Yes I did. The entire flight plan was entered in MCDU

On 9/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, mopperle said:

And yes of course flightplan must be loaded too.

The flight plan was loaded in AS. It doesn't happen for me automatically, but using corresponding Load function works. There would not be a file EDDBLDSP.wx created, if the flight plan was not loaded. Please note that stated .wx file contains all weather data for the road, which the program definitely is not reading.

Would appreciate more comments, if possible.

Did you make the PMDG and WX folders under your sim install folder? Active Sky will output the .wx file there if the folder exists. The file is created when you load a flight plan into Active Sky and updated when weather is updated.

There's no need to change any settings in Active Sky.

Archived