Button/Key Gradual Braking

Joan Alonso

I feel the bus brakes are too much hard/stiff when applied via keyboard or gamepad/button, because it goes from 0 to 1 immediately and that makes braking too hard for my taste. Altering the toe_brakes_scale in the aircraft.cfg is not an option because it also affects the autobrakes.

So I'd like to share a lua plugin that allows a gradual braking, all parameters can be adjusted. You can play with the figures and adjust it to your liking. The author is "spokes212" user of FSUIPC forum, it is from 2015 but remains applicable.

And it works like a charm!

Here is the link: https://forum.simflight.com/topic/79850-smoother-braking-when-only-a-button-is-available/

My figures are:

rate_on= 100

minimum= 3000

rate_off= 220

dis_pbrake= 0

diff_brake_override= 0

This gives me soft braking and predictable deceleration when on ground. You can even see the nose gently lowering down when braking and softly returning up. 

The more time you hold the key/button the more braking force is applied, just as if you were pressing the pedals gradually. This also helped me with Brakes temperature, as it does not reach the max rate continuously and therefore it takes longer to reach high temps. (It also remains possible to reach high temps and get a HOT message more or less easily if you brake hard/continuous while landing for example).

Important, do not forget each of the steps of [INSTALLATION].

I hope it helps anyone interested.

Archived