Optimization/ Performance

Kwakadilly

Hello,

I'm using an i5-8600K OC at 4.7Ghz, GTX 1070Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200, and they are both simultaneously (CPU/GPU) running at over 90% at cruise (FL380). Sometimes even 97-100%. The rest of the addons I have do not do this (NGX, Q400, B717, MD80), even on the ground at a payware airport such as FSDT, FlightBeam, DD, T2G, Orbx etc. Checking the "Force ECAM Software Rendering" doesn't really do much, and I'd argue a GTX 1070Ti should be plenty to support hardware rendering of the ECAM anyway....

I assume there are some optimizations that are needed/ planned for SP1? If not, I hope this can be something that is looked into. Maxing out this level of hardware is pretty crazy for P3D.

• Aerosoft

Why would you not maximize the hardware? 

The fact the new 2018 compilers by Lockheed make it possible for add-ons to fully access all the hardware should be seen as a very positive thing. There is for sure no 'optimization' planned that reduces the use of hardware. If possible we rather increase it so 100% is used!

Mathijs, I gotta say, I'm a bit perplexed by your response. You do not want hardware to be maxed out, you want the hardware to be able to max out the game, or in this case the game and the add-on. If the game is maxing out the hardware then either the hardware is not sufficient for the game/settings, or the game is terribly optimized. In this particular situation I am going with the addon is not optimized, which is why I posted. The "2018 compilers" make it possible for the developer to take advantage of more of the hardware's ability, especially newer technology not previously available on this platform, the intent is not to completely max it out as if it is a stress test. If you're running with a CPU/GPU maxed out, you're going to end up with high temps and potential throttling, causing less performance. Surely you aren't trying to say we want our addons to max our hardware so that we get less performance? 

I made this topic because I can be sure it is not my settings, and I am sure it is not my hardware being insufficient. I run all of my other addons, many very complex addons, and this is not an issue. The B717 had this issue and TFDi went to work to fix it and did a great job fixing it. No addon should be maxing the CPU and GPU when at cruise, that's ludicrous. There is nothing at that altitude for the simulator to render in high detail other than the airplane. The bottom line here is that the aircraft has bad performance and needs to be optimized. 

• Developer
Vor 1 Stunde, flynryan692 sagte:

If you're running with a CPU/GPU maxed out, you're going to end up with high temps and potential throttling

No, if you run into high temps and potential throttling at max CPU load, then you (or the manufacturer) failed at chosing a proper cooling system for your PC. A properly built PC doesn't reach temperature limits at max load. No matter if CPU or GPU.

• Aerosoft

If you do not want your hardware maxed out, why spend the money on it? Buying a less powerful CPU/GPU will run cooler and cost less money! EVERY add-on developer will try to use every last bit of resources the system can throw at it. 

You know that it is actually completely impossible for an add-on creator to avoid the add-on to use all the resources it can grabble up? There are simply no controlling mechanisms for that. You can only try to make it as efficient (optimized) as possible and in this case optimized means it will be able to eak out the last bit of hardware resources it can get. We spend a a long time getting to what it is now.  If you feel this is not the correct way to go ahead I suggest you do not buy any add-on that is compiled with the latest Lockheed compilers as they are also pretty proud of the fact the software can use more hardware!

• Aerosoft

That is, unless you use a laptop that is not designed for gaming...... That's why we warn people about that. 

Please login to display this image.

Machines that can't run their hardware at max capacity longer then a few seconds simply should not be used for simulation. But for these machines badly optimized add-ons that wastes resources on tasks that do not create a lot of load will run better. We try to avoid that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mathijs, 

I understand what you're saying, however the fact is even on high performance PCs the GPU is sitting at and above 90 degrees during cruise, flights that are longer in duration are at this stage not an option for me. Just yesterday I tried flying from Perth to Melbourne and upon arriving into the region the sim crashed upon descent. This is the second time this has happened and I've only had the product for 4 days. All I'm asking is that you consider what's being said, not claiming it's the PC that's the issue. I have both the FSLabs bus and yours, and as much as you may not like talking about their product, they've done an excellent job optimizing it in updates since its original release. At any stage of flight the GPU did not rise above 75 degrees with the latest update. I believe the professional airbuses have great potential, and i will say the FPS and exterior modelling are far superior to FSLabs, but it's the stress on the PC when using it that is the worry. 

Henry 

Specs: 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VRAM with G-Sync
Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.80 GHz) OC at 4.4 GHZ
16GB DDR4 2666MH

• Aerosoft

We are not planning any optimization (mainly because we would not know what to change without deleting stuff).

Basically there is no direct way developers can influence the load on hardware, the sim will always use as much as it can get and with the latest compilers from Lockheed this has been optimized so it uses more. The fact we have such good framerate is because the new compilers do that. So you would have to talk to Lockheed basically. We would love to use 100% of the CPU and GPU if we would have access to it because it would make the framerates faster and would allow us some tricks. So if there is any change it would be in the direction you feel is not right.  Optimizing means making more hardware resources accessible. 

I run an 1080 and a 1070 in my test machines and they get up to 85 degrees under test conditions and peak at 75 degree in P3D ever after many hours of testing. Your 1070 should have no problems with running at 94 degrees indefinitely, that what the hardware is rated for. It's pretty hot and clearly not cooled optimally but still if it crashes at that temperature it indicates the card is not making the specs.

Please login to display this image.

It could be that a small additional fan is all you need to make your system perform as it should.

Archived