Climb rate above 20,000ft

Dadriel

Hello,

I just got a question about the climb rates in the A319 once you reach the higher flight levels. I'm seeing very low rates of climb there, dropping even below 1000fpm above 30,000ft. The aircraft is at the the max thrust rating for climb during this which is about 90% N1 which seems kinda low. It will get eventuall to the cruise level, but it feels very sluggish to get there.

I did also fly the old Airbus in FSX which I think did not show this behaviour. Now the question is if this actually how the aircraft should behave also in RL or if this is something off with the current version of the Aerosoft Airbus.

Need more information.  What's the OAT (SAT or you can just give me the ISA deviation) and the weight of the aircraft.  What is your climb speed/mach and mode?

Played around the other day in the A320 (RW) and did some testing using CLB mode at 66 Tons.  20-30K , 300kias  up to .78 in the transition to mach, climb rates were 1500-700 pre mach transition and down to 500 fpm then after the transition around 700-1200.  As the aircraft climbed higher it then settled in above FL320 at around 700 fpm.  I had to select the speed and change to Mach .75 to get a descent climb rate but still as we approached FL360 it was down around 500 fpm eventually.  All of this from memory but I took a video as well.  Temperatures at altitude were ISA +17 to ISA+19.

Depending on several factors your numbers above could be very normal.  Remember you need to give ATC a minimum of 500 fpm or you need to let them know.  Various techniques to get this when your heavy at high altitude, dial down the mach as you get higher (CLB or OPEN CLB) or set your speed above the current and select VS 500 fpm and keep a careful eye while monitoring as your speed can bleed down if you're not careful.

B.

Archived