SPEED SPEED aural warning on final approach despite correct speed

Meyerflyer

Hello,

on every flight I made, the new A319 warns me "SPEED SPEED SPEED ..." when on final approach and when I reduced the speed to final approach speed. The approach calculation was made, all data have been inserted and the computer calculates an approach speed of 117kt. When I use this speed and even up to 125kt the warning is there. Only if I increase the speed to about 127kt, so 10kt more than calculated, the warning stops.

When I fly the 117 kt the orange band on the speed display is moving into the current speed. So it seems that the calculated speed is wrong and therefore the warning is created. When flying 117kt as given, the pitch attitude is too much nose up. Does anyone have this issue too? What can I do, or is this a bug that needs to be looked at?

Regards, Julian

Hi, what about the weather?

I also got the low energy "speed speed" aural warning on final at vapp in windy condition,

I'm prety sure that is normal and the pilot has to add manually some kts to the vapp regarding the wind.

The weather should be no factor. Had it on all three approaches I made and the weather was quite good. I think on the first approach to runway 25 in EDDS I had a wind of 300/4kt. And I use AS4, which is quite a serious weather engine.

So I agree, if the weather is bad or the wind coming from behind or so, the warning can be right, but not here in my case. Never had this with the old extended Bus.

There is nothing to check due an approach speed of 117kias is way to llow. You should knowing this because you wrote in another thread you made more as 1000 flights with an Airbus.

Normal you can count with a range,of 130 - 140kias depending of weight of course.

Do you have a screenshot of the relavant MCDU page?

Wolfgang

The automated calaculation should at least be that precise, that no SPEED warning comes up. I'm always adding 1-5kt depending on wind direction and weather, but even with 122kt the warning comes. And 122kt with a low loaded A319 with only 120 pax and 1.8t of cargo should not be any faster than 120kt on final approach. Never heard before, that an A319 is landing at 130-140kt. Not even a more loaded A320 needs 140kt with wind coming from ahead...

10 minutes ago, Hoffie3000 said:

There is nothing to check due an approach speed of 117kias is way to llow. You should knowing this because you wrote in another thread you made more as 1000 flights with an Airbus.

Normal you can count with a range,of 130 - 140kias depending of weight of course.

Do you have a screenshot of the relavant MCDU page?

Wolfgang

On a 320 VLS is 106-153 kts ...

Okay it was perhaps my fault. I didn't enter all weight data into the MCDU. After entering the data, the correct approach speeds were generated (somewhere between 130-132kt).

I had one flight, where I entered the data the absolutely same way, I did when it worked, but then I got the Vapp of 114kt again and I couldn't find out why. I will have an eye on this though.

• 3 weeks later...

Mathijs, I have to admit that I didn't have the time yet to fly the tutorial flight, but I fly and program every flight the exact same way and mostly, the bus calculates an approach speed of 114-116kt on the A319 CFM, which is way too low. When I fly this speed, the SPEED SPEED warning comes up correctly, as the Bus is flying too slow. Sometimes (like one flight yesterday) the speed seems to be right at 130-132kt. The warning then doesn't come up as expected. But the speed calculation is only right at about 1 out of 5 flights, that have, again, been programmed absolutely the same way and with a similiar approach weight. My personal opinion is, that there is an issue with the calculation of the approach speed, that seems to be inconsistend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 1:10 PM, Meyerflyer said:

the bus calculates an approach speed of 114-116kt on the A319 CFM, which is way too low. 

Very odd! I made an 22 A319 CFM flights now. Never get so lower VAPP calculations from computer? Actually 126kt is my lowest with very empty plane (from Stockholm to Helsinki) I believe.

Archived