Checklist in a dead end

Hi,

Is there any workaround to get passed the checklist if it gets to a dead end? By dead end I mean a situation where the checklist is not dependent on a checklist item to be completed but a situation where the MCDU does not even recognize the next phase should be triggered.

It happened to me twice in these occasions - 

1. When approaching the airport via SID and using shortcuts (short final for landing) - the workaround for this is obviously to use the DIR TO function in the MCDU correct? Is there a way to remove this dependency and cause something else to trigger the approach checklist?

2. Yesterday I've started both engines in the start checklist phase and after engine start - NADA, there was no progress nor confirmation on the MCDU that the after start checklist can be started (supposed to start automatically). This was a dead end I could not bypass :o

Thanks,

Shom

• Deputy Sheriffs

1. If you use DIR TO and thereby bypass the DECEL point then there is according to my knowledge no way to trigger the APPR CL ......... Suggestion: Use DIR TO only after the APPR CL is available on the INFO BAR

2. The AFTER ENGINE START CL automatically starts when the PB has been completed (using GSX or the internal feature) and after a certain period during which WAIT is displayed on the INFOBAR. So I assume that something was "missing" during those phases..... p.e. setting the parking brakes?

Regards,

Rolf

11 minutes ago, Hanse said:

1. If you use DIR TO and thereby bypass the DECEL point then there is according to my knowledge no way to trigger the APPR CL ......... Suggestion: Use DIR TO only after the APPR CL is available on the INFO BAR

2. The AFTER ENGINE START CL automatically starts when the PB has been completed (using GSX or the internal feature) and after a certain period during which WAIT is displayed on the INFOBAR. So I assume that something was "missing" during those phases..... p.e. setting the parking brakes?

Regards,

Rolf

Regarding #1 - what triggers the ability to start the APPR checklist? Distance from what waypoint? You see the issue is that in order for the APPR CL to be available I need sometime to wait in downwind way too long as some SIDs take you way out on...Therefore I will use the DIR TO in advance in order to force the APPR CL to be available. Too bad it is not also altitude dependent...?

Regarding #2 - good point maybe it was indeed the parking brake :) although it is hard for me to believe since GSX nags you to use it after push back... will recheck if this is reproduced 

• Deputy Sheriffs

#1: There are a lot of conditions to start the APPR CL based on the various possibilites, but the main conditions are that you are below transition altitude, less than 5 NM before the DECEL point and the distance to the airport is less than 25 NM .......

#2: You are writing that you use GSX. In connection with GSX I have another idea what could have caused your problem. Please do not use for GSX the keyboard numbers 1 or 2 to make certain selections in GSX because this disables the CL (1) and the Copilot (2) - if you enabled HOTKEYS in the MCDU3 OPTIONS CHECKLISTS....... 

Regards,

Rolf

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived