Binbrook

dhazelgrove

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, dhazelgrove said:

Time to lose the rest of the yellow lines. Any you want keeping?

Dave

Hi Dave 

Happy new year :P

Try as I might , I can't find a  clear shot that shows the pan and markings..  They just need to be worn and dirty , same with the concrete lines they were filled with tar so were not uniform , and stained where oil and fuel had collected and soaked in . ..

Please login to display this image.

I have increased  the contrast here to enhanced the marks....

Dave

It's a pain, isn't it?

I'm going to go by the markings that I remember from Wattisham -- namely no yellow centreline taxiway markings anywhere. There were night lights, though, so they'll be going in. Edge or centreline?

I note the "T" mark for the nosewheel. I currently have them in the centre of the parking spots, but they'll be moved forwards.

The tyre marks on the unused runways aren't removable while the runways are kept as such. Built-in, you might say. There's only a limited amount that can be done to 'dirty-up' the textures of the concrete areas of the pan.

I'm using REX4 (with soft clouds) very successfully in P4D, but even with that there are limits on what can be shown.

I can see the roadway markings behind the tails in the first picture above, but I can't manage to reproduce it, I'm afraid.

Where do I make provision for visiting 'heavies' -- and how many spots are required?

Dave

1 hour ago, dhazelgrove said:

It's a pain, isn't it?

I'm going to go by the markings that I remember from Wattisham -- namely no yellow centreline taxiway markings anywhere. There were night lights, though, so they'll be going in. Edge or centreline?

I note the "T" mark for the nosewheel. I currently have them in the centre of the parking spots, but they'll be moved forwards.

The tyre marks on the unused runways aren't removable while the runways are kept as such. Built-in, you might say. There's only a limited amount that can be done to 'dirty-up' the textures of the concrete areas of the pan.

I'm using REX4 (with soft clouds) very successfully in P4D, but even with that there are limits on what can be shown.

I can see the roadway markings behind the tails in the first picture above, but I can't manage to reproduce it, I'm afraid.

Where do I make provision for visiting 'heavies' -- and how many spots are required?

Dave

Hi Dave

I'm sure wm and bk were pretty much the same.

lights were down the edge ( bit bumpy on the nosewheel otherwise :0) 

The "T" was in fact a long "I" … aircraft would be parked nose into wind  so could face the other way .

Houchin and ground equip box not as long as you have at present .. can't see any hatching on the photos .

no special provision for heavies or visitors.

Here's best as I can make out …

A)   Pan border ….. solid line

B } taxiway centre....  long dash

C) Water filled dustbins ( for diving headfirst into if you got a face full of Avpin)

D) Drain cover … evenly spaced down edge of pan

E) marker boards

F) Avpin store … one for each sqn

G) no encroach boundary line ..(just wider than the wingspan)

I)  the nosewheel centre line

L) taxiway light 

D

Hi Dave 

Above all , are you sure the scale is right ? My over-riding memory is of a crowded flight line and the photos seem to back that up... but in your screen shots things seem very spaced out ! 

using some quick and dirty measurements you can get 5 aircraft parked nose to tail across the pan.... but measuring the sim shots you can get nearly 7 !   ( a hangar is 300 ft long )

a better shot of the markings

D

17 hours ago, wingman5 said:

Hi Dave 

Above all , are you sure the scale is right ?

D

I put your F6 into the flight line, and then repeated it with the T5. The aircraft all look the same size both close up and from a distance, so I can't say that there's a scale error.

I think that the pan as-supplied in the scenery is simply too big/deep -- because of the requirements of the taxiways both in front of and behind the parking spots.

You have the same RAF Binbrook by Team SDB, don't you? How does yours look?

Dave

2 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

I put your F6 into the flight line, and then repeated it with the T5. The aircraft all look the same size both close up and from a distance, so I can't say that there's a scale error.

I think that the pan as-supplied in the scenery is simply too big/deep -- because of the requirements of the taxiways both in front of and behind the parking spots.

You have the same RAF Binbrook by Team SDB, don't you? How does yours look?

Dave

I don't have any addon scenery ,( not on this computer anyway) but I have used the ai aircraft so I know they are ok.

superimposing  a photo as best I can to line up the runways and hangars and some roads this is what I get ….

D

29 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

I don't have any addon scenery ,( not on this computer anyway) but I have used the ai aircraft so I know they are ok.

superimposing  a photo as best I can to line up the runways and hangars and some roads this is what I get ….

D

You can see immediately that the pan is significantly smaller in your photos than it is in the Team SDB offering -- which I'm going to leave as-is for the moment.

You'll notice that I've added a large parking spot on the end of Hangar 1 (5 Sqn). I may change one or two of the parking spots in front of Hangar 1 to allow for larger aircraft, such as Vulcans or Victors (as MAIW update them).

There's an issue with such large aircraft using the taxiways. It's a little odd seeing a Victor wingtip passing through a Lightning.

Dave

1 hour ago, dhazelgrove said:

You can see immediately that the pan is significantly smaller in your photos than it is in the Team SDB offering -- which I'm going to leave as-is for the moment.

You'll notice that I've added a large parking spot on the end of Hangar 1 (5 Sqn). I may change one or two of the parking spots in front of Hangar 1 to allow for larger aircraft, such as Vulcans or Victors (as MAIW update them).

There's an issue with such large aircraft using the taxiways. It's a little odd seeing a Victor wingtip passing through a Lightning.

Dave

I  was on duty VAS once ( visiting aircraft section) once and  we had to stand by for Waddingtons Vulcans to deploy to BK as an exercise …. the plan was to park them on the lazy runways .

In the end it was only a paper exercise so it never came off  .. During the 80's the northern lazy was used to store (and scrap the excess lightnings.)

D

• 1 year later...

well, seem we're a bunch to make binbrook scenery. I'd like to know how the number tags work for the parking spots, on some photo we see 65 , 66 tagged on yellow boards, i guess they're the parking number but how would it work as there is no 66 + parking spots on the ramp or on the base neither.

thanks in advance if you can help.

Another spot on the base,

on this video :

you can see after they clear the ramp, turning right just before the arresting barrier, that passing by the camera man, there is some kind of watch tower, and a shed, unfortunately, no trace of them are remaining on the sat photos or aerials i have, does any one know where this could be?

last bit of question, still on the same video, some big building on the left side of the runway 21, near the middle, couldn't find anyother pictures of it, if any one knows what it is would be welcome.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 11:25 AM, nastybeasts said:

last bit of question, still on the same video, some big building on the left side of the runway 21, near the middle, couldn't find anyother pictures of it, if any one knows what it is would be welcome.

Hi

Have you checked out the photos here...https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/location/RAF Binbrook xBOxEGXBxBCx/270/?

there is a clearer shot of the "watch tower" on one of the later pages , it's probably something to do with the ILS beacon , as is the building ( I think that might be an aerial array surrounded by a wire fence so it looks solid). There are a number of block houses scattered over the airfield though , I think they house electrical junctions for the airfield lighting etc.  or are just left over from the war , The one on the far side of the airfield was certainly used as a shelter for the guys doing R/H runs on the detuner.

As for the parking numbers , the earliest I have seen them is on 1985 photo's , but 65; 66 etc ? I don't know , could it parking bay 6 slot 5 ; 6 etc ?

Depending on the era you are going for,   you might notice that in some photos the pan and taxiways look distinctly brown, that's because in the late 70's "operation Tone Down"  had them all stained down so they were not so obvious from the air . It worked , but I don't think our pilots appreciated it much :0). It faded and wore off after a few years though .

Cheers

Dave R

I'm not sure whether I may be just shooting at the stars on this, as I have little to no knowledge on this, but perhaps it may be a productive investigation.

A lot of the scenery files we have been using, whether Team SDB or freeware are really quite old now and frankly compared to scenery packages of the last five years are significantly better.

Perhaps we could look into getting a working group together towards making, or possibly vastly updating the airfield. Even as an example a lot of the textures are very dull and flat - perhaps some repainting skills could be repurposed?

Considering we're in a season of quarantine, perhaps having a sniff around towards having a crack at making a better Binbrook could be good?

It is also possible we could ask ACG for some assets to help us out...?

9 hours ago, peter197 said:

I'm not sure whether I may be just shooting at the stars on this, as I have little to no knowledge on this, but perhaps it may be a productive investigation.

A lot of the scenery files we have been using, whether Team SDB or freeware are really quite old now and frankly compared to scenery packages of the last five years are significantly better.

Perhaps we could look into getting a working group together towards making, or possibly vastly updating the airfield. Even as an example a lot of the textures are very dull and flat - perhaps some repainting skills could be repurposed?

Considering we're in a season of quarantine, perhaps having a sniff around towards having a crack at making a better Binbrook could be good?

It is also possible we could ask ACG for some assets to help us out...?

Hi Peter

I have had the same thoughts myself , I think I'm  capable of modelling and texturing the buildings etc  ,  but I couldn't get to grips with using ADE to construct the airfield .

I'm all for a better Binbrook though .

Dave

Well, let's put some ideas down.

Firstly, I don't think we necessarily need to start from scratch with some stuff. Ultimately, the basic layout and boundaries(at least from what I can see) of taxiways, runways etc. seem pretty good. 

Otherwise I'll put some pointers down, that I think may be worth looking at:

- For me, the grass of the airfield really irks me. Finding and editing some satellite imagery, and/or any aerial views of the base when it was operational may be very useful. Perhaps just adding some character would go a long way.

- Getting some grit on the taxiways with spilled oil etc

- Updating and/or replacing many of the buildings to more modern standards. I think many of this stuff was made in 2005 - 2010, and excessively impacts my computer. Even just having the assets compiled in V4 would probably go a long way!

- Perhaps placing the odd Lightning decoy as a static? I don't really know where they were placed, so I would defer to you, though of course this asks of your modelling skills.

- Perhaps work on getting seasonal textures, given that it snowed there?

- Looking into more realistic flight plans or sort of circuits the Lightning may have flown for the AI?

I'm sure I am missing a point or two on this. What I can at least help with is some texture work. In the short term I'm going to see if I can do anything with getting something more photorealistic on the airfield.

Otherwise - it may be possible to get models from other developers if they are more 'modern.' Certainly talking to former developers from ACG may go a long way.

As I am aware most people here use Team SDB, but for me I use a freeware one made by Ted Harrison. It's a bit of a bore finding all the necessary assets to get it together, but it's generally OK. So probably coming to an agreement over what to base our stuff on would be a good start.

Any little improvements we can get I think would be great.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, peter197 said:

Any little improvements we can get I think would be great.

Not a biggy, but it would be good if we could have an open hangar with some spare Lightnings inside similar to the ACG Wattisham ;) 

C.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, TheCameronPerson said:

Not a biggy, but it would be good if we could have an open hangar with some spare Lightnings inside similar to the ACG Wattisham ;) 

C.

It could be done. I may already have done so.....

The ACG Wattisham used SODE (here) to control hangar animations. I haven't seen any Team SDB airfields with open hangar doors, though -- nor any with controllable doors.

The issue is that I can't publish what I've done to the Team SDB airfields (including Leconfield and Wattisham, BTW) because they're all commercial products.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

just been looking for plans of Binbrook and amongst the images I came across this. I recreate WW2 airfields and spend time (when we arent locked up) photographing and measuring old bases around the country.

I made a recreation of Binbrook back in 2014 at that point my PC got a virus and I lost over a years worth of work as I hadnt had a chance to back up! Well I thought i had lost all of it. On an HDD I had on a shelf I plugged it and went through files and WOW I found an uncompiled Binbook!

I am an ex RAF airframe engineer and also a pilot, I only found out Binbrook was GONE a couple of years ago! I am LIVID as they are digging up to many of our old bases for useless house that will sit empty.

With the big 'lockup' going on I have got back into designs again. I flew into Binbrook a few times  in the 70's and early 80's and also applied to get posted to work on 'Gods Interceptor' but sadly I never got there :(  I was due to go to South Africa in 2008 to fly one of the last 2 seater Lightnings, sadly that aircraft developed a fuel leak and caught fire, the pilots ejection seat failed and they lost the pilot and the last 2 seat airworthy Lightning.

Excellent plans I see here well done! More detail than mine but Im having trouble compliling my replica WW2 buildings and watch towers into Library Creator and placing them so Ive given up with that! I just do airfields until I can find out why my Sketch up models no longer work?

One of my Control towers below that was going to go on RAF base in Hampshire.

Here's the first try of RAF Binbrook in P3Dv5. You'll immediately notice that everything is too dark. The asphalt is practically black and a lot of yellow lines are back. They'll all have to go, for a start.

Dave

14 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

Here's the first try of RAF Binbrook in P3Dv5. You'll immediately notice that everything is too dark. The asphalt is practically black and a lot of yellow lines are back. They'll all have to go, for a start.

Dave

Hi Dave

Is it snowing ?..... grass looks a bit pale .. which will make everything else darker .  what settings are you using  , playing around with the saturation and brightness might help .

No major problems with the Lightnings although the transparencies are a bit foggy and the night lighting is a bit dim .

Am wrestling with converting them to PBR , and upgrading them all to the F53 spec.

Cheers

Dave

31 minutes ago, dhazelgrove said:

I believe that there is still a shader issue in P3Dv5, I'm afraid. I can't really begin to adjust things until that's sorted.

Dave

Have you tried one of the addons such as Tomato Shade ?

D

Archived