Binbrook

dhazelgrove

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yuk!!

I'm having to practically rebuild the parking at Binbrook. All bar three of the parking spots are too small for John Young's Lightnings -- which require a parking spot with a width of 7 metres each. Team SDB set them all at 4.7 metres.

There are other issues with the AFCAD too. Orphan spots, etc.

Dave

17 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

Here we go.

It's all beginning to look a lot better.

Dave

Hi Dave

Are you working on the textures as well as the set up ?

I don't remember the pan being so dark and with all those pretty lines  !  It was concrete laid in big square slabs . there would be a grubby white line for the 

nosewheel position and a very faded yellow hatched box for the houchin.

And it seems a bit big ( or are the aircraft small ?) …

I'd have been exhausted running all that way from the hanger to sort out a start failure !  

Cheers

Dave

Please login to display this image.

4 hours ago, wingman5 said:

Hi Dave

Are you working on the textures as well as the set up ?

I don't remember the pan being so dark and with all those pretty lines  !  It was concrete laid in big square slabs . there would be a grubby white line for the 

I'd have been exhausted running all that way from the hanger to sort out a start failure !  

Cheers

Dave

As happens, I'm with you.

This is the Team SDB offering that I'm working on - just getting it to work in P3Dv4. That it displays properly is surprising enough. The aircraft are standard size.

The lines and texturing for the pans/spots are the default ones provided by ADE. The yellow lines could all be removed once I'm happy with the airfield function (the big assumption made was that the Lightning pilots all knew where they were going -- but the jury's still out on that one). I haven't looked at alternate pan textures yet, but there are alternatives available through Rex4. The Houchin boxes will probably have to stay virginal, though.

While I'm at it, I've also got the Team SDB Leconfield on the go.

Dave

21 hours ago, wingman5 said:

More on this as I dig deeper.....

The reason it all seems so dark is that Team SDB declared the whole AFCAD to be paved in asphalt, rather than concrete. So, my first question is where there was asphalt laid -- if anywhere.

The reason for the pan depth is that room has been made for aircraft to taxi past both to the front and the rear of the parked aircraft, and as it wasn't unknown for larger aircraft to visit (Victors, etc) room has to be left for their wingspan.

I've added a large parking spot to the side of 5 Squadron's hangar. I may add more smaller spots in other places, as we're definitely lacking LTF spots.

At the moment, all parking on the flight line is coded one of "5SQN", "11SQ" or "LTF". The two spots in the "Q" shed are coded "QRA".

Fun, innit?

Dave

7 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

More on this as I dig deeper.....

The reason it all seems so dark is that Team SDB declared the whole AFCAD to be paved in asphalt, rather than concrete. So, my first question is where there was asphalt laid -- if anywhere.

The reason for the pan depth is that room has been made for aircraft to taxi past both to the front and the rear of the parked aircraft, and as it wasn't unknown for larger aircraft to visit (Victors, etc) room has to be left for their wingspan.

I've added a large parking spot to the side of 5 Squadron's hangar. I may add more smaller spots in other places, as we're definitely lacking LTF spots.

At the moment, all parking on the flight line is coded one of "5SQN", "11SQ" or "LTF". The two spots in the "Q" shed are coded "QRA".

Fun, innit?

Dave

Hi Dave

I think only the main active was tarmac... the hard standings and peri track were concrete. 

In fact in the late seventies they detached all the aircraft so the concrete could be stained brown  as camouflage  ! It worked  but  soon faded …. anyway it made it harder for the pilots to find the runway .

D

2 hours ago, wingman5 said:

Hi Dave

I think only the main active was tarmac... the hard standings and peri track were concrete. 

In fact in the late seventies they detached all the aircraft so the concrete could be stained brown  as camouflage  ! It worked  but  soon faded …. anyway it made it harder for the pilots to find the runway .

D

That's a lot of work. Do you think the concrete is too bright?

I've added more parking outside the doors of each of the three hangars - at both ends in the cases of the 11 Sqn and LTF hangars.

There's still only the one large parking spot, though.

Dave

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, dhazelgrove said:

How does it look now?

Dave

Aye looking better., Realistically though there would never be so many aircraft on the line ( not in the era with those colour schemes ) ….. even if all flying had been suspended because some idiot had violated airspace in a microlight ;)

I have vetted a picture to show the car parking and the fire lanes to the hangars

Being as the lazy runways had never been use for landing since the war  I don't think you need the tire marks

D

11 hours ago, wingman5 said:

Aye looking better., Realistically though there would never be so many aircraft on the line ( not in the era with those colour schemes ) ….. even if all flying had been suspended because some idiot had violated airspace in a microlight ;)

I have vetted a picture to show the car parking and the fire lanes to the hangars

Being as the lazy runways had never been use for landing since the war  I don't think you need the tire marks

D

I'll have a look at removing the tyre marks. I have left your marked areas clear -- especially the immediate fronts of the three Squadron hangars. There's a taxiway goes along there.

The reason for so many Lightnings is so that I can check all the parking is occupied as I expect. There are two full squadrons and almost as many LTF in there.

The tyre marks on the unused runways is an issue. ADE won't allow me to remove them.

I'm wondering if Leconfield is the same as Binbrook (concrete, rather than asphalt). Ever go there?

Dave

About as good as it's going to get.

Visitors already. Banana bombers.....

Q shed -- interrupted by some idiot in a microlight.....

Movement once more.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

There's an issue with John Young's AI Lightnings in P3Dv4 -- specifically the reheat effect.

Dave

If its the same problem I had the fix is quite simple …. just double the size of the fx settings …. or rename and use mine .

D

The issue can be seen in the above shot, which shows two Lightnings moving towards the runway. Up close, the effect isn't visible.

Here, you can see the reheats in glorious action. They display just before the aircraft actually starts to roll.

Here's the pan as it looks now -- still fully loaded, of course.

48 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

So is it the case the aberration only occurs when the view is zoomed out ?

There does seem to be a link between the distance viewed and the appearance of the effect, yes.

From a distance it's obvious, but close up it simply vanishes.

It almost looks just like the effect of hot engine exhaust on a wet taxiway.

23 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

There does seem to be a link between the distance viewed and the appearance of the effect, yes.

From a distance it's obvious, but close up it simply vanishes.

It almost looks just like the effect of hot engine exhaust on a wet taxiway.

I had the flaring of the reheat when zoomed out , the only cure I could make was to remove the class of effect that was causing it ! i.e. re-do that part of the reheat as an attached effect rather than a light effect ( or it could have been vice versa !)

But surely the AI reheat only kicks in on the threshold  , whereas the flare seems to be during the taxi ….. are you sure its not a smoke effect  ? if so just remove it .

D

21 hours ago, wingman5 said:

I had the flaring of the reheat when zoomed out , the only cure I could make was to remove the class of effect that was causing it ! i.e. re-do that part of the reheat as an attached effect rather than a light effect ( or it could have been vice versa !)

But surely the AI reheat only kicks in on the threshold  , whereas the flare seems to be during the taxi ….. are you sure its not a smoke effect  ? if so just remove it .

D

Fixed, like this:

//light.6 =7, -34.40,   0.00,  1.72, fx_nicksmokeAI_sm_lear,
//light.7 =7, -34.40,   0.00, -1.06, fx_nicksmokeAI_sm_lear,

Right, on to Leconfield.

Dave

Archived