Why close subjects?

Jlunddk

You're very fast to close a subject when you feel you have answered it. We're not all reading this group everyday so maybe we DO have some follow up questions without needing to open a new subject (about the same thing basically).

For instance the subject bout false virus warnings when installing. I HAVE read the answer Tom's referring to, about AV prgs. giving false indications and removing certain files, which makes the installers mess up. 

What I would know is if turning off my AV prg. and running the installer as admin is enough, or if there's any other steps we need to do to get a succesfull install?

Maybe this answer is in some FAQ or something, then I apologize for this, but why close subjects in the first place anyway?

JLund

• Deputy Sheriffs

Closing subjects is simply like closing a support ticket opened by a singel person: if any questions of this single person is answered and/or solved, the ticket/topic gets closed. In some cases there is another reason: when you leave specific topics, and the virus topic is one of those, too long open, they tend to go in the wrong direction.

But as you have read, when a topic gets close, it always ends with "If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.".

And that's what you are doing currently, and that's welcome.

To answer your question, what you can do beside turning off the AV software and running the installer as admin: in any case you should exclude all sim related folders from being scanned while the AV software is ON. That's why I put all sim stuff on a specific drive, which I did exclude from being scanned. Unfortunately there are always other folders which need to be excluded, like the "Aerosoft" folder under the "Documents"folder. Other addons might need other folders excluded too.

Another problem is that even when Aerosoft reports false positives to AV software vendors, they do not even respond. So a good idea would be to use free AV software. I myself supported for many years 3rd party software. But since quite a while I use the Windows Defender. It is free (also free of advertising), does an excellent job ( https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/ ) and up till now I never got a false positive, but saved some money.

Thanks for the reply. I also use Windows defender and is not that great at messing with excluding prgs and files etc and not doing anything wrong, but I will take a look on how to do it, and hopefully get it to work. So now I'm just waiting for the A320/321 to be released.

And yes, you can close this topic  now. :-)

Jlund

• Deputy Sheriffs

Here are two links that might be of interest when it comes to Windows Defender:

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 10 Minuten, Jlunddk sagte:

Thanks for the reply. I also use Windows defender and is not that great at messing with excluding prgs and files etc and not doing anything wrong, but I will take a look on how to do it, and hopefully get it to work. So now I'm just waiting for the A320/321 to be released.

And yes, you can close this topic  now. :-)

Jlund

Unfortunately I sit currently on a Mac, so I cant show some screenshots, but Tom already provided you with 2 most usefull links.

And we will leave this topic for the moment open. ;)

I know Otto mentioned some of the things to exclude, but have you a list over excactly which files and folders we can exclude?

I have checked both of Toms links and they are very useful, so have bookmarked them to when I need to install the busses.

• Deputy Sheriffs

When I get back home I can check which folders i excluded. But as I said in general ANY sim-related folder (e.g. P3D root folder), even folders of addons installed outside the sim. Especially are those folders of interest which included program files altering e.g. cfg files, like those "Configurators".

Under documents, as I already said:
- Aerosoft folder

- P3D Addon folder

Additionally I have a 2nd download folder especially for downloading sim stuff from known and reliable sources.

Best is to check what addons you have which are installed outside the sim folder and contain programfiles which might change config files. One such program for example is SIMStarter NG.

The problem is that a program runs for month without any problem and suddenly with a newer version of the program or the AV signature it is recognized as a virus.

Archived