Ignoring Constraints

I've noticed on nearly every single flight that unless you are climbing in managed mode, the Airbus will completely ignore the acceleration to climb speed above 10,000ft and will climb at 250kts all the way up to FL390 or whatever in open climb. At this point open climb is effectively not usable because even in managed mode the airplane ignores any altitude restrictions on the SID anyway.

In the screenshots you can see the purple dot disappear in open climb. Whether or not you are in open climb, the aircraft should as far as I know, still accelerate to the climb speed above 10k.

Please login to display this image.

Thanks for the info.

Unless I've misunderstood what you're reporting, the lack of speed acceleration in the active mode is correct as unless you have the climb in managed mode the FMGS is lacking a critical part of the calculation it needs, so the speed will remain constant at what it was set to before switching climb to the active mode.

I believe we're already aware of the SID altitude constraints and this will be corrected in SP1.

What I mean is that the airplane should still accelerate above 10,000ft when in open climb and managed speed, but the AS Airbus does not. As you can see in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9p5AORcY8o

at about 17:00, you will see the PFD where they have just crossed 10,000ft in open climb and now the aircraft is accelerating beyond 250kts to the climb speed of about 295 or so.

You can see the same in this video as well https://youtu.be/J7U2CzY-A7w?t=12m20s

around 12:20. They are in open climb and selected speed, and crossing 10,000 they set managed speed the aircraft accelerates to the climb speed 292, still OP CLB.

The issue is the Aerosoft Airbus only does the acceleration above 10,000 in managed climb mode, it does not follow the same behavior as the aircraft in the videos. If you select OP CLB below 10,000ft, it will fly all the way up to the selected altitude at 250kts in managed speed mode, which it should not do.

Is there a special reason why you not set V/S in open climb?

In my understanding of open climb Mode you habe to set a value in. For example 1800ft/min

Wolfgang

No, V/S and OP CLB are separate climb modes. Open climb simply allows to you climb unrestricted to the altitude you have set, bypassing any SID restrictions. Say you depart Manchester and are given clearance to climb to FL190. The SID has restrictions at 5000', but of course ATC does not want you to level off at 5000 since they gave you FL190. So you use OP CLB to bypass the restrictions on the departure, this way the aircraft will climb at the calculated climb speed all the way to FL190.

Ah, okay, I had indeed misunderstood you.

We had the SID restrictions working great prior to the last update and I wasn't aware it wasn't working again.  We'll take a look at this and if we can validate it we'll get it resolved.

Now, regarding speed... I thought you were saying that with Speed in Selected Mode and Altitude in Managed Mode, the aircraft still should pitch over and increase speed when passing through 10,000ft.  This of course is not the case because (obviously) speed and pitch work together.  In fact if you try that in reverse (descending with Speed in Selected Mode and Altitude in Managed Mode) you'll get a nice little message on the PFD to place speed in the Managed Mode.

Anyway, we'll take another look at the SID restrictions - thanks for the report!

EGKK-LXGB SID NOVMA1X - Limit at MID and NOVMA of 4000ft see pictures below. the aircraft in climb mode not open climb busted straight trough the constraint as if it were not there.

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Now, regarding speed... I thought you were saying that with Speed in Selected Mode and Altitude in Managed Mode, the aircraft still should pitch over and increase speed when passing through 10,000ft.

Ah that was not the case haha, I should've mentioned that I was in managed speed mode as well.

Glad to hear its being looked at!

Thank you for the report, the constraint issue is under investigation internally already and we are working on a fix which is currently on its way to our testers.

chances are that if all goes well it might find its way into the next update (no promise though).

I'll also point out the ETA bug once again, thanks!

We always appreciate customers reporting issues, thanks!

We've already been discussing this in another post... so I'm going to merge this topic with the initial post.

Thanks again!

Not sure if further confirmation is require; however, I decided to test my clean sim/P3Dv4.3 to see if the issue prevailed.

I started a flight at EHAM to EHGG.  A flight plan had been made and saved earlier.

Fuel was loaded but no further action taken; that is, no Fuel prediction actions in the init page 2.

The image shows the FMC pages before fuel prediction was activated and after.

Constraints for speed and altitude were added to the plan before the fule action was taken.

After the fuel prediction was activated the altitude contraints disappeared.

When the flight was tried the speed restriction were followed but the altitudes limits were not.

May I assume that this issue is not rectified in the latest update to 1100?

I updated and tried the same setup again and the altitudes on the display changed like before when I clicked on the block fuel key.

• 2 months later...

Archived