Hi all,

I'm thinking of a PC upgrade, but am on quite a tight budget. I'm looking at the i7 8700k, 16GB DDR4 RAM and a Z370 MSI Motherboard. However, I can't afford another CPU now too, so I'm stuck with a GTX-970. Is this going to be a real bottleneck? And is there anywhere to save on looking at my potential purchases?

Thanks!

GPU prices are coming down further these weeks, atleast in The Netherlands. The expectation is that the prices will go down further as the new range of NVIDIA GPU's are around the corner, but it will depend on the number of 1070/1080 GPU's currently on stock.

7 hours ago, generale84 said:

hi.

yes a 970 witth 8700k is a bottleneck...you need a 1070/1080 to stay well.

I don't agree. I have a GTX970 myself and to me it's not a bottleneck. Sure the 1070 performs better, no doubt about that, but it works allright with the 970 even with add-ons like ORBX Netherlands TrueEarth HD installed. Frames are reasonable, nothing to complain.

That depends on your current hardware. If that's reasonably up-to-date I'd say a new GPU, but if it's outdated then you may better get a new CPU first. With old outdated hardware a new GPU might never be able to reach it's full capabilities, it's then being held back by the rest of the system.

Wouldn't it be an idea for Aerosoft to get an bit more extensive (PC) hardware section in the shop? (Narrowed down to the hardware that is the most suitable for simulation software of the whole Aerosoft range) And do you guys know if LM is also having its connections with the Hardware sector? (Like NVIDIA/Intel)

For now this whole thing got me from just wanting to replace the GPU to an complete new build (Granted, I do have an suitbale destination for the current system so it makes my story stronger within 'the house').

The shop where we get our PC's (the one we sell in our shop) Captiva is offering all kind of PC's if you need something bigger then the one we offer currently thats no problem.

But keep in mind often it is more useful to go "mid- high end" today and buy a new pc in 2 yrs then spend now 200% or even 300% to get a super bad ass computer for today 

The PC industry is moving so fast that its always hard to be up to date

Yeah it moves sooo fast. Currently I have a i7 4770, GTX970 and 16GB of DDR3 RAM, but as a student I can't upgrade all of it at once (and my parents aren't exactly too pleased with digital stuff like this)

I just don't know what to upgrade first. A new CPU needs a new motherboard and new RAM, and a new GPU might be bottlenecked by the CPU

13 minutes ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

Yeah it moves sooo fast. Currently I have a i7 4770

Do you have a stock 4770 or a 4770K ?

As far as I know by reading around the transition from a GTX970 to an 1070 isn't spectacular on speed but it does give you the additional required GPU memory (And 1070's are more & more affordable).

Even with systems with the most expensive hardware there will always be 1 bottleneck, so you should focus on the target which makes you enjoy P3Dv4/v5 on the settings which with you are satisfied.

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I would buy a 1070 at this moment. They are at the sweet spot of performance and price and will stay there for a while.

I just did exactly that this past Friday (from a 970) and I haven't regretted it.  This is with a i7-6700k CPU.

Now, the 970 wasn't giving me bad performance (quite the contrary, actually), but I was beginning to contemplate building a new PC within the next year or so as mine is starting to show some age.  Instead I found a good sale on the 1070s and 1080s and went with the 1070 Ti as it was nearly $100 (USD) cheaper for only minor performance penalty.  And now I should be able to add a few more years onto the life of the PC.

6 hours ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

Currently I have a i7 4770, GTX970 and 16GB of DDR3 RAM

Seems very good to me, nothing wrong with that. The CPU and RAM certainly won't be a bottleneck for the 1070.

The difference between the i7-4770 and i7-6700K isn't that big and since P3D doesn't lean that much on the CPU the difference will be very small.

If I were you I'd spend my money on the 1070 now and keep the current CPU and RAM for a while more. In a few years they'll be up for replacement, replacing them now would be a waste of money since the difference with new is very small.

2 hours ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

@Sabretooth78How is the 6700K? Was the performance good with the 6700K and GTX970? The 6700K seems well priced and if it works well that's the one i'm going to get.

No complaints at all.  I can usually run sliders 3/4 or so full right and usually quite smooth.  Only real hiccups would be poorer FPS (say 20-25) and some stuttering around significant cloud coverage.

Archived