Cabin crew announces wrong things or at the wrong time

I have updated to version 1.2.0, but these errors practically exist since the first version: "My" cabin crew always announces that we have aborted the take-off when I set the parking brakes before starting my take-off run.

Also, the cabin crew reports that all passengers have left the plane when all doors are already closed again and the engines are started up. Okay, that error could have occurred because I closed the doors a few seconds after de-boarding had finished, but still, I wonder why that announcement doesn't come immediately after the end of de-boarding.

I also get the "all passengers boarded" message by the cabin crew when we are already taxiing to the take-off runway.

So I wonder why the cabin announcements are still all over the place and what actually triggers them? The setting of the parking brakes shortly before take-off should surely not lead to a "take-off aborted" announcement.

May sound stupid but WHY are you setting them? You have to check if they are NOT set but i never heard so far to set them before T/O. If you not making an rolling T/O (what you should do if you have already the clearance, Clarence!) just step on the brakes and hold them.

You would normally not set the parking brake on the runway, in fact in my airline that is a big no go which could even fail you a check.

When stopping however it is SOP to set the parking brake on the runway.

• Developer

It doesn't have anything to do with the parking brake. The pre-conditions for arming (not playing!) the takeoff abort announcement are a) aircraft is on ground and b) both throttle are in TOGA or MAX.

The announcement is then played, if a) it's armed, b) both throttle are idle, c) brakes are set to more than 40% and d) touchdown timer is -1 (= no touchdown has happend in the past seconds).

Since your flight fulfilled the arming conditions (Throttles in TOGA or MAX), you actually aborted the takeoff and the callout was correct.

@Hans Hartmann No, I did not have the throttles in TOGA or MAX and did not abort the takeoff. The announcement happens when I have taxied to and lined up on the runway and then have set the parking brakes. So the throttles were only on idle or a few percent of N1 above idle. Last night, it happened shortly after I had taken a flight (including landing) with the CRJ - so I had the throttles in TOGA there. But then, it should actually be possible to "de-arm" the takeoff abort announcement automatically between both flights since it could get annoying if you fly a turn-around and get the announcement shortly before your second takeoff of the day.

I just took another test flight now - and of course Murphy's Law took its tool and the announcement didn't occur, even after landing and then preparing a second takeoff roll (with parking brakes set). But instead, I had a "cabin secure, passengers all aboard" announcement at the start of the first takeoff roll. :D So it's sometimes really hard to predict which announcement will occur when.

And regarding the SOP to not set the parking brakes on the runway before take-off: Since the CRJ has the tendency to start rolling even on idle power and I do not have pedals, it's easier for me to set the parking brakes before the takeoff roll if I still have to do some checks. That way, I have both hands free and don't have to keep my thumb on the brakes button on my throttle quadrant.

On 18.7.2018 at 13:32, FWAviation sagte:

I had a "cabin secure, passengers all aboard" announcement

Have this in all my flights but during taxi. The announcement should come in parking position either after GSX finishes boarding or (without GSX) when closing the cabin door.

• Developer
vor 5 Minuten, GEK_the_Reaper sagte:

Have this in all my flights but during taxi. The announcement should come in parking position either after GSX finishes boarding or (without GSX) when closing the cabin door.

Yes and no. The "cabin secure" part is correct when it's played. However the "all passengers on board" should be "boarding completed" and come right after closing the door. I'll split the sound in two and play it accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW: on my last flight with the CRJ I had the same: approaching the runway threshold, the sound for "ready for departure" was played in the cabin. I had two A320 in front of me, so I was stopping close to the runway (EDDH) and set the parking brake. Nothing happened. When it was my turn, I aligned on the runway and stopped, set again the parking brake (without moving the throttles to anything above 30%) and then I also heard the "abort take off" sound from the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting this on the last couple of flight as well. At gate parking brake on, push back - parking brake off (obviously ;) ) - push back complete Parking Brake ON taxi checks then parking brake OFF - taxi out with minimal thrust as she starts rolling at idle and PBrake off - pre flight checks on taxi, this sometimes is where I hear the "The captain has aborted the take off please stay seated..." Often I'll set the parking brake while waiting in line for t/o or at the threshold awaiting release or final departure checks.

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2018 at 9:40 AM, Emanuel Hagen said:

You would normally not set the parking brake on the runway, in fact in my airline that is a big no go which could even fail you a check.

When stopping however it is SOP to set the parking brake on the runway.

@Emanuel HagenOut of curiosity - I know it is old and I know it is a bit off-topic: 

You would not set the parking brake on a runway and you can fail check for this, but SOP says you are supposed to set parking brake. Maybe it is just me, but - is your line failing checks for following SOP?

I do not want to sound offensive, but just clarify RW procedure :D

Andrzej

Archived