Wondering if it's just me?

Frafty

Hey there,

So was doing a flight into Heathrow and came upon an altitude restriction at ETVAX (FL180). Aircraft did a wonderful job meeting that altitude restriction. After the aircraft passed that altitude restriction (with no noticeable descent marker), the aircraft didn't continue to descend. The magenta descent marker just continued to move toward the bottom of the tape without much response from the A/P. I tried pushing the altitude knob again (already active), but no response. Looking at the tape, the aircraft was descending with around -300 fpm, while attempting to slow to the speed 220 (I'm not sure why it was trying to slow down as there's no speed restriction that I can see on the STAR, but could be wrong here). 

So I assume the issue was the a/c trying to slow down, and then not being able to catch up to the descent marker. It ended up resulting in the a/c being at 10,000 ft at the approach/deceleration marker in the PFD. 

Given all of that info, after passing an altitude restriction, am I supposed to re-push the knob telling the aircraft to continue descent? Or should the a/c chase the descent marker on its own at that point? 

Really enjoy flying this, btw! 

Hello Frafty,

usually you should not need to press the knob again, but of course it depends on which FMA's are currently active.

Do you still recall what the FMA was in your situation?

Archived