Ridiculous climb rates

Did some searching & wasn't able to find anyone in the same boat, apologies if I missed it, but I've tried a few times now to conduct a flight with the 319. I follow the FD after takeoff & regardless of when I engage the AP the aircraft pitches up for about an 8000 FPM climb. I disengage AP, lower the nose, hand fly it to stable flight, reengage...same issue. I did a fresh install of P3D, no luck. Fresh install of the bus, no luck. Windows recovery to how my laptop arrived from HP & spent days reloading everything...still the same problem persists. :angry2_s::angry2_s::angry2_s:

Hello,

could we get some screenshots of such situations?
What is your gross weight, weather and density altitude and which FMAs are active in this situation?

Taking off from Flightbeam DEN. Density altitude is 7300 feet. In this case TCAS is chirping because of the nearby AI conflict but it's done this without TCAS freaking out. EMMYS5 departure

Maybe I've forgotten some incredibly important step but I have detailed notes/checklists I made for myself to fly the FSLabs 320 (no, I no longer fly it) & have gone over those to make sure I'm correctly following what I understood to be reasonably accurate procedures.

You have no vertical mode. The FMA is just blank. Most certainly you forgot some entry during your preflight setup.

Please make sure that at any time a vertical mode is engaged. If the field is just blank you need to press or pull the ALT knob or engage V/S.

Never forget the golden rules of flying an Airbus: One of them clearly states you always need to know your FMA!

So...if I have a cruise level set here, an altitude set on the glareshield & a SID loaded I still need to pull or push the knob? Not doubting you at all, you are right I'm sure...I just don't remember having to do that in the FSLabs bus. I only ever remember pulling the knob out to initiate a descent.

Please login to display this image.

Make sure CLB is armed before takeoff. This can be accomplished by pushing the ALT knob.

If the mode does still not engage after takeoff you might have to press the knob again to engage it.

The theory is this one: Whenever the mode is not what you think it should be, or what suits the phase of flight: Change it. That's your responsibility as a pilot.

(though of course the correct mode should still engage automatically... that will be looked at).

On 7/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, FadingWest307 said:

I follow the FD after takeoff & regardless of when I engage the AP the aircraft pitches up for about an 8000 FPM climb

I have/had same issue, although not as high as 8000 fpm.
It appears I had forgotten to arm CLB by pressing the altitude knob (like suggested above). After that take off's went OK.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, Emanuel Hagen said:

Make sure CLB is armed before takeoff. This can be accomplished by pushing the ALT knob.

If the mode does still not engage after takeoff you might have to press the knob again to engage it.

The theory is this one: Whenever the mode is not what you think it should be, or what suits the phase of flight: Change it. That's your responsibility as a pilot.

(though of course the correct mode should still engage automatically... that will be looked at).

I don't get it. Regadless if he armed the CLB mode or not, the aircraft shouldn't be able to achieve that kind of climb performance.

6 hours ago, NickTG said:

I don't get it. Regadless if he armed the CLB mode or not, the aircraft shouldn't be able to achieve that kind of climb performance.

Let me explain it for you: Looking at the screenshots you can see the aircraft has no vertical mode. So it pitches anywhere.

Then take a look at the speed trend vector.

The situation you see in the screenshots is a situation where the aircraft trades speed for altitude. The speed trend vector shows around -15kt in the next 10 seconds which is a significant reduction in speed. And that is why he gets the 8000fpm.

If he had a vertical mode engaged the aircraft would not do that. It would fly at a constant speed and therefore lower the nose to stop the speed from bleeding off.

The rate of climb would then be significantly lower than in the pictures. I can only guesstimate here, but I'd say at least 3000fpm to 4000fpm less.

And the then resulting 4000-5000fpm could be as expected for an A319.

I was able to make a flight out with a stable, normal climb. As I imagined, it was as simple as pushing the ALT knob before my takeoff roll. It is my understanding however that if you preflight correctly & dial an altitude into the glareshield, it should auto select that & capture it...?? Is that correct?

On 7/22/2018 at 6:58 AM, FadingWest307 said:

I was able to make a flight out with a stable, normal climb. As I imagined, it was as simple as pushing the ALT knob before my takeoff roll. It is my understanding however that if you preflight correctly & dial an altitude into the glareshield, it should auto select that & capture it...?? Is that correct?

Yes it is an anomaly I observed. In your FMGC if you have programmed your thrust reduction altitude/acceleration altitude and then in the FCU you key in the altitude which is higher then at least in A320 it does automatically switch to managed mode (you get the ball next to altitude and VS should be dash). Not sure if this is the way it works in A319 where you need to manually push the altitude knob for managed climb.

Archived