CRJ in bad weather / ActiveSky Settings

Hi,

I use ActiveSky for p3dv4, with the following settings (I've only downgraded the turbulencew effects)
- Maximum cloud turbulence: 50 (instead of 100)
- Turbulence effect scale: 50 (instead of 70)
- Maximum wind turbulence: 50 (instead of 100)
Regardless of this I was unabled to fly the CRJ last Friday.in bad weather conditions/
I tried yesterday again but no chance.
ActiveSky historical mode based on Friday 8, June 16h UTC.
EGJJ rwy 08 DIN2B departure.
After the right turn, passed 3000ft the aircraft is out of control.
What ActiveSky settings do you use to fly the CRJ?

Bonus questions :

- does the co-pilot wx radar work? The left side works perfectly but I'm not able to display something on the right side (using the right wx radar panel or the left one in xfr mode)

- what is the way to dim the opacity of the wx layer on the nd ?

Cheers

• Developer
vor 8 Stunden , blahhh sagte:

- does the co-pilot wx radar work?

No. I don't know if it changed in the meantime, but when I implemented the weather radar, ActiveSky only supported one, not two. Therefore both sides use the same weather bitmap.

vor 8 Stunden , blahhh sagte:

- what is the way to dim the opacity of the wx layer on the nd ?

There's no way to do that (no controls in the cockpit)

@blahhh just tried your flight with no issues mate. My settings differ only by the "Turbulence Scale Effect" where I have 70 (you 50). All other 2 settings are the same.

There were some clouds but they did not look as a building storm or bad weather at all!? Nothing shown on the WX either.

Want to see a video of the departure?

Regards,

Gerald

• Developer

Definately the weather effects generated by AS have an influence on generating accelerations that may exceed the g limits x safety factor.

I have dimmed down multiple entries in the AS configuration to avoid unrealistic (to my perception) effects. Default values in ( )

Under Wind options:

Turbulence effect scale =20 (70)

Maximum wind shear = 20 (50)

Enhance turbulence = OFF (off)

Wake turbulence strength =20 (50)

Maximum downdraft rate =245 (1000)

Maximum updraft rate =240 (1000)

I hope that helps!

I run a Turbulence Effect Scale of 30 presently.   I think the 70 default value is too high in general.

You may have had some wake turbulence bothering you -- I have seen it do that with the default value.  Probably a value similar to what Alex runs would be good to try.

@GEK_the_Reaper Oops my bad, it was 7pm UTC in the thunderstorm, not 4pm.

@Hans Hartmann Ahah, cockpit from the 80' ;-)

I tried with others planes (717 and NGX) and it was difficult also (perm stall in the 717). 
It's completely unrealistic, @metzgergva @Mace_RB Thanks I'll try your settings.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

• 1 month later...
  • Developer

Thanks for reporting back. I made a few flights with ActiveSky defaults and crash detection off in the meantime. With light to medium turbulences, the aircraft was really thrown around with up to 4g. That could probably happen if you fly right through solid magenta area, but not with dark or light green.

I run my turbulence settings at 30 percent maximum in ASP 4. Any more than that seems to cause problems in any complex add-on I fly, not just the CRJ.

I also strongly recommend turning off the setting “stress damages engines” in the  P3D realism settings menu. There have been several reports of inflight engine shutdowns after a turbulence encounter by users of add-on aircraft, including the FSL Airbus, TFDI 717 and PMDG, due to that setting being enabled.

Archived