Dornier Do-27 VC Goes Crazy

Ian Mac

Hi Folks. I'm having serious problems with my recently purchased Do-27's virtual cockpit. On startup or RPM change the cockpit and panel graphics go wild; it seems to be an extreme exaggeration and corruption of the intended cabin vibrations. It's a very rapid effect and thus difficult to analyse, but my frame-freeze captures show the whole 3D cockpit view to be oscillating dramatically - variably 45d or or 85d clockwise, then back again, many times a second. The pilot's viewpoint seems also momentarily placed in and out of the left side of the cockpit as the view oscillates back and forth. The frequency of oscillation is maybe 5 per second, very roughly guessing. After a while the VC looks ready to fly, with just the intended vibration effect, but as soon as the throttles push engine RPM up for take-off, the graphics go wild again. In short, it's almost impossible to fly. I am attaching an instantaneous screen capture or two, but they can't show you the crazy action which actually occurs. Try to imagine your cockpit view flashing between the two pics shown below several times a second, chaotically, and you might have some idea of it.

I have seen old Forum references to a somewhat similar problem, and mention of an update to V1.0, but for V2.0 I can only find alternative textures. Am I missing something? Can anyone help? I'd love to beat this problem, because otherwise the Dornier seems just great. I can kind of fly the Do-27 with the 2D panel, but the moment I need a different cockpit view, it all goes crazy again.

Thanks for reading. Regards to all from Ian Mac, VH (Aus).

SYSTEM:  i7 Desktop with 16GB RAM, NVidia 2GB graphics card, Windows 10, SSD boot, 3TB WD Black HDD with FSX+Acceleration in dedicated partition on the HDD. FSX add-ons include various Aerosoft sceneries and aircraft, plus many Orb-x regions and airports, Global, Vectors etc. My Do-27 is a genuine Aerosoft Boxed copy, Version 2.0, purchased direct from the Aerosoft shop. 

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ian, I've flown the Do-27 a lot during my FSX times and never came across something like that and I also can not remember others rporting this.

As I do not have FSX anymore I cant check again. Only idea for now: are using any camera tool like EzDock or others?

Hi and thanks, Mopperle. Well, I don't have any camera tools that work with FSX except a small, completely separate old screen capture program, FS Screen. I'm pretty certain that is not causing this problem, as FS Screen has no links with FSX - it's a simple EXE program which is normally not running in the background. I only used it briefly to capture those examples of this wild behaviour. FS Screen does not offer any add-on cameras, etc., for FSX. 

Your question led me to think about any other software which could interfere with the Do-27 graphics, but I can't think of anything else. I don't think I have any unusual or suspicious software on my PC, but I will keep thinking about that possibility. Other than this special problem, FSX and the computer generally seem to be working normally.

Thanks, Mopperle, for taking the time and trouble to think about my problem. It's good that you have flown the Do-27 a lot, and didn't have this happen! 

Kind regards from Ian Mac.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ian, there is no update available for the Do-27.

What you might also try is to start with a fresh fsx.cfg. Dont use the one from the FSX root directory, but the one from C:\users\your_username\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, rename it to fsx_cfg.org,

restart FSX, it will create a new fsx.cfg, make only basicsettings in FSX (like graphic card resolution) and apply the HIGHMEMFIX.

This way you can check if any of your settings messed up the Do-27. If it didnt help you revert back to your original fsx.cfg

Mopperle - Hullo again. Thanks for your help and concern with this. I understand your suggestion, and will try that tomorrow (Aust time). I have to go to something else right now, but will let you know how the CFG experiment goes.

Thanks also for confirming that there is no further update for the Do-27. 

(By the way - we have Ospreys (Quebrantahuesos ?) above our coast and rivers near where I live. The local government makes tall nesting poles or perches for them.)

Kind regards to you, Mopperle, and any other readers. From Ian Mac.

PS - Mopperle, sorry - I forgot to say that my 'Config' utility for the Do-27, which is in the Digital Aviation folder within FSX, offers only a few settings: Instrument Resolution and Textures for the various models. Is this correct for the FSX version? I seem to recall that the FS2004 version also had settings for the cockpit vibration levels. Perhaps the fact that my FSX is not installed on the C: Drive has something to do with this?

Thanks, Mopperle. Must go now. Bye from Ian Mac.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The other options can be accessed from within FSX, when you have loaded the aircraft via "SHIFT+8", according to the manual. ;)

Hi Mopperle! With your help, my problem looks to have been improved, or even fixed. First, I had misunderstood how to configure the Do-27, and didn't realise that in-flight configuration via Sh+8 was needed to try to control the vibration factor. Well, I found that it helped a bit to minimise the settings, and turning them to OFF moreso - but there was still an annoying problem. So I tried re-building the FSX CFG file as you suggested, and that seems to have fixed the problem. Unfortunately, though, I can no longer set the maximum screen resolution allowed for FSX by my 16:10 display and graphics card. I don't know what's going on here, but although I believe I have the latest Nvidia drivers, I'll reload them and see how I go. Also, as FSX rebuilt itself, so to speak, I had to permit several related pieces of software which I've never seen before. I don't think they're malware; rather they're probably modules installed by other FS products. But I will check it all out.

Anyway, that's my problem, no-one else's. Thanks once again for your vital help, and apologies for missing the Sh+8 bit in the manual. Very bad form!

Kind regards from Ian Mac.

Archived