Aspen appearance

Dear support team,

I've just purchased and installed Aspen for xplane 11.  It does not look at all like in this promoting video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-mnmE3--xU

My photo real texture is just around the Airport up to 100m beyond the runway.  Beyond that very short limit, it is regular Xplane texture so not at all the 19 000 km² of ortho photo as per indicated in the description of the product. What s wrong?

I ve followed the instructions as per the manual:  since I have UHD Mesh V4 installed, I've just unzip the AS_KASE-ASPEN-HDMESHV4 zip file in my custom scenery so that I can find now 2 subfolders: 

Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Airport

Aerosoft - KASE Aspen - Mesh HDv4

My ini file is just exactely how it should like so I know that everything is correctly declared.

The other file that it was possible to download from x-plane.org/store was a file name “AS_KASE-ASPEN-ORTHOMESH-REQUIRED-FILES.zip" that I have not downloaded since this one contains the mesh file that I already have (UHD Mesh V4) and the size of this file (i.e. 6 Gigs) effectively correspond to the UHD Mesh V4 file that I already have.

Am I right or does the “AS_KASE-ASPEN-ORTHOMESH-REQUIRED-FILES.zip" contain ortho photo scenery as well explaining why I don't see it yet?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Stéphane

• Deputy Sheriffs
46 minutes ago, stephane130281 said:

Is there a way to have a faster answer?

TBH, you open your topic at 8 o'clock yesterday evening and working hours start earliest at 8 o'clock here in the morning. So please be a bit patient.

Or you call support during the working hours at
+49 (0) 29 55 - 76 03 -10
Lu-Ve, 09:00 - 13:00 h, 14:00 - 17:00h (UTC+01:00)

or you open a support ticket at support@aerosoft.

As I do n ot use XPlane, I cant help, sorry.

• Administrator

Hello Stéphane,

there is a difference between the HD Mesh V4 and the UHD Mesh V4. 

Do you only have installed the UHD mesh V4?

If there are problems, please send the Log.txt file as an attachement to us here and may be some screenshots...

So we better can check the problem...

Here you find some infos from the developer for the correct installation.

Greets Heinz

Solved...  Aerosoft does not know the diffetence between ortho photo and mesh.

The manual states:  if you do have HD mesh already installed...go with the small zip file.  But by doing so, one misses all the orthophoto scenery because this latter is contained in the bigger file only.

Whether you have or not the HD mesh, one should always go with the biggest file because this is where the ortho photo scenery is.

To Aerosoft: A mesh is a file that contains elevation data points in order for xplane to better render elevation points of the terrain,  it is nothing to do with satellite photos. Therefore by instructing the customer to go with the small file if one has a hd mesh already installed, one misses the main beautiful aspect of this scenery:  the orthophoto textures in ZL17!

An ortho or orthophoto file is based on satellite photos in order to render a photo real scenery in xplane.

Cheers

Stephane

2 hours ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

Hello Stéphane,

there is a difference between the HD Mesh V4 and the UHD Mesh V4. 

Do you only have installed the UHD mesh V4?

If there are problems, please send the Log.txt file as an attachement to us here and may be some screenshots...

So we better can check the problem...

Here you find some infos from the developer for the correct installation.

Greets Heinz

By the way, on x-plane.org store,  there is no optional files.

• Administrator

Hello Stephane,

I think, the developers (Stairport Sceneries) knows what they doing.

As the Developer said , with the first installation, (AS_KASE-ASPEN-HDMESHV4.zip) you don't have Orthophotos.

It is for users who don't want Orthophotos.

See here.

The mesh in X-Plane 11 (and 10) is a little bit more than only "elevation data". There are also Landclass data and many more included in the Mesh.

Please look here for more infos about the X-Plane mesh. Its from AlpilotX,

Link

But this we don't have to discuss here in the Aspen Topic. May be its an idea for a new Topic if you want.

The X-Plane Org shop is a independent shop. We (Aerosoft) don't have access to the databases.

I think the best way is to contact the Org Shop for the Optional files....

Greets Heinz

I don t know why people do not read what I wrote:

I SAID:  the manual clearly mentions that if you have your own MESH, then use the small file.

They should then say:  If you dont want to use orthophoto (or satellite photo scenery),  use the small file.

The mesh comes with everything that you want except orthophoto.

People like me who are used to utilize both mesh and orthophoto can be confused because the manual does not use the correct term.

Once again: a MESH is not an ORTHOPHOTO file!!!!!!

Proof with some screenshot of the manual...I rigorously followed the manual...I have HD mesh V4 so I installed the small file.  It does not say that by installing the small file, one will not have the satellite photo scenery.

Just modify the manual then.  Eventually I don t care since I figured it out by myself.  But you will most likely have the question asked quite often then.

PS: I don t want to be arrogant but in a sentence,  each word is important.  I did not say that forum say if you dont want ortho, install file xxx...I said that the MANUAL states if you have hd mesh V4...use the small file.

Please login to display this image.

On 13.6.2018 at 20:21, stephane130281 sagte:

But you will most likely have the question asked quite often then.

Thanks by pointing out these wording issues. To be honest, though, you're the first one who asked this kind of question and we had no other complaints about the appearence or missing photo textures.

When we write in our manuals "if you have HD mesh installed", we assume that you read it as "if you have HD mesh installed for the scenery tiles affected by this scenery", because you can either use HD mesh OR you can use photo scenery at a scenery tile, but not both at the same time.

If you have installed HD mesh v4 and photo scenery for the same tile on your computer, X-Plane will only load one of these -- the one that has higher priority in your scenery_packs.ini. Contrary to what you say, in X-Plane a photo scenery is combined with mesh data. If you have used Ortho4XP for creating a photo scenery for Colorado, or downloaded one from the Internet, your photo scenery already includes the elevation data (the mesh). So having HD mesh v4 installed for the same region (the same tile) is in fact a waste of disk space.

Good point with the mesh included in the orthophoto.  Should have said that orthophoto necessarily includes a mesh (and actually when building ortho4xp scenery,  I point the uhd mesh folder so that the overlay is accurately placed) but a mesh does not necessarily includes orthophoto.

Actually in my case I had the HD Mesh v4 installed but no orthophoto scenery by ortho4xp for the Colorado.  So when I bought Aspen,  I wanted it to look like the video so with the photo scenery.  By following the procedure as per the manual,  I ended up by installing the airport without the photo scenery which is what I did not expect to happen.

Actually for higher clarity,  you should re edit the manual and add what is published on the forum link posted above which makes more sense to me and is very clear on what one should expect. Thanks for the reply and have a good week end.

Archived