Setting the landing frequency (ILS)

Hi, 

Still new to this and having a great time with the a320, but I'm having a bit of an issue with knowing and setting the ILS frequency. When the standard ATC tells me what runway I'm landing at, I need to set the correct frequency and start preparing for landing. Can sometime either give me advice or tell me roughly where to look? 

I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Gaz

Thanks for getting back to me.

Watching the videos, they normally don't give examples of flying where they don't know (before takeoff) what the landing runway will be. So, before they leave, they enter the landing runway. I'm guessing though, that really that can't be done, because of winds at the destination? 

Perhaps the starting video where he enters the landing runway is still important - I'll check again. 

I have to admit, it has an autopilot that is taking some getting used to - to be expected I suppose! 

Thanks

Gaz

I believe it depends on what part of the world you are flying in. From what I have read in the past, in the US, flight crews are required to enter their most likely approach before departure. If conditions change mid-flight, then they will amend the approach. In Europe most flight crews wait until later in the flight to enter the approach info. Probably somewhere in the cruise phase, or early descent when the workload is low. Like I said, I'm not sure if this is the case. It may be the other way around, and also it may depend on company SOPs.

Thanks for that. I'm thinking of getting something that does real-time weather, so it's something I'll have to learn, but what you say makes sense to me.

Gaz

Archived