Milviz Wx Radar

Blaze_1969

Any chance we could get a mod to the VC allowing the integration of the Milviz Wx radar? It looks like it would be an excellent fit and having a functional radar would be icing on an already impressive effort. I've really been enjoying this aircraft; well done!

• Developer

Once the 32 bit version and the cargo fuselage is out, I can give the radar some thought.  I would like to have it see the weather.  

That's seriously good news, thanks very much for the consideration! Looking forward to the cargo version too, my Air Hauler2 Company has three DC-8's working South America right now. I've been touting it's praise on their forum as well. 

The Milviz unit is sort of a turn key solution but recognize not everyone has it, sort of like but probably not as popular as the Flight one Garmins for GA aircraft. I already have the Milviz unit working as a 2D pop-up but would really look good nestled into the virtual cockpit.

19 hours ago, Blaze_1969 said:

Any chance we could get a mod to the VC allowing the integration of the Milviz Wx radar? It looks like it would be an excellent fit and having a functional radar would be icing on an already impressive effort. I've really been enjoying this aircraft; well done!

There is also the Roland 64-bit radar gauge.  Have you heard of it?

I haven't had time to work on integration into the VC.

Triflyman,

Thanks so much for posting your placement data, I used it to get my Milviz radar to display on the DC8 scope. Since I know the lua offsets for its controls I can map it to hardware and have a working unit...Great Job!

On 5/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, triflyman said:

Attached is my placement data for Roland's 64-bit Radar Gauge in the panel.  Note I have commented out the default gauge information in VCockpit03 and VCockpit04.  Than just need to add the Roland's Gauge, as shown, in VCockpit03.

Rolands Radar in Aerosoft DC-8 50.pdf

Have you confirmed that this works?

I copied the gauge dll to my P3D\Gauges dir as the gauge's instructions say...I then made those changes to the panel.cfg and have a black gauge --  I will have to re-check my cfg file and see what is going on.

It's possible that since this add-on is installed outside the standard P3D folder structure, that I will have to explicitly define the path to Roland's gauge in the cfg file.  That or move it somewhere within the DC-8's folder structure.

6 hours ago, triflyman said:

My works and I have the aircraft outside of the default P3D folder.  My P3D Gauges folder is in the default position.

Same here, but no go.

Hello. For the Roland radar I prefer 0,-60,340, 340 in order to get the scale text and have weather centered.

[VCockpit03]
size_mm=340,340
pixel_size=340,340
texture=$DC8_Radar
window_size_ratio=1
//gauge00=Radar!DC8_Radar, 0,0,340,340
//gauge01=ASC!MAIN, 0,0, 10, 10, 0*
gauge00=RolasnRadar!ORadGauge, 0,-60,340, 340, sweep|beam|icing

[VCockpit04]
size_mm=340,340
pixel_size=340,340
texture=$Sweep
window_size_ratio=1
//gauge00=Radar!DC8_Radar_Sweep, 0,0,340,340

Works like a charm. just srcoll over the "-" hand over the gauge ti turn it ON.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:54 AM, QWJavelin said:

This is important.  For those reading this, *there are no controls/dials/switches visible with the current implementation of this gauge*

You must guess as to the location of the on/off button to turn on the radar gauge.  It will be an invisible off/idle/Test/Radar switch, located on the left-hand side of the gauge's window.  Move the mouse over this area (your mouse cursor may change to a '+' or '-'), and use the mouse wheel (do not click -- clicking does nothing) to switch the radar between off/idle/test/radar modes.    Then, there are invisible tilt/range/gain buttons, located at roughly the 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock areas of the gauge.

This is important, because you, like me, may think the gauge isn't loading, when in fact, it is. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 5:54 AM, QWJavelin said:

Hello. For the Roland radar I prefer 0,-60,340, 340 in order to get the scale text and have weather centered.

[VCockpit03]
size_mm=340,340
pixel_size=340,340
texture=$DC8_Radar
window_size_ratio=1
//gauge00=Radar!DC8_Radar, 0,0,340,340
//gauge01=ASC!MAIN, 0,0, 10, 10, 0*
gauge00=RolasnRadar!ORadGauge, 0,-60,340, 340, sweep|beam|icing

[VCockpit04]
size_mm=340,340
pixel_size=340,340
texture=$Sweep
window_size_ratio=1
//gauge00=Radar!DC8_Radar_Sweep, 0,0,340,340

Further comments on the above....

If you comment out the ASC!MAIN gauge line, you will not get any .asc (aircraft state) save file with your saved flights.  My Roland Radar seems to be working just fine with that gauge loaded, so I see no reason to comment it out, at least in my testing so far.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:44 PM, Blaze_1969 said:

That's seriously good news, thanks very much for the consideration! Looking forward to the cargo version too, my Air Hauler2 Company has three DC-8's working South America right now. I've been touting it's praise on their forum as well. 

The Milviz unit is sort of a turn key solution but recognize not everyone has it, sort of like but probably not as popular as the Flight one Garmins for GA aircraft. I already have the Milviz unit working as a 2D pop-up but would really look good nestled into the virtual cockpit.

can i join that air hauler company?

• Developer

The ASC gauge saves and loads panel states, nothing else.  If you want to be able to save flights, leave it working. 

Archived