Eduard Gasull

Some simulation questions

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have noticed something I want to ask for:

 

I know DC-8 is focused on normal operations but there few basic things that are simulated in all default aircraft:

 

  • Reaching over speed for more than 1-2 minutes don´t active the crash on the sim (with crash set on)
  • Overpass the limits of G-force won't cause or activate the over G crash on the sim. (that means move the plane as a fighter)
  • Engine fire alarm won't detect if an engine is on fire even this alarm is simulated.

 

Are these things going to be updated or will keep as they are?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't realistic for the aircraft to break up just because you over speed it for a short time.  During testing. Douglas deliberately broke the sound barrier with a DC-8 before delivering it to an airline.  Quoting from a book on the DC-8:

 

The pushover was initiated at 52,090 feet and recovery
commenced at 42,000 feet. During the pushover, a
negative G force of 0.5 was held for IS seconds and the
dive angle maintained at I5 degrees. The aircraft was
trimmed so that a SO-pound push was required to maintain
the dive angle. The highest speed reached was Mach 1.012
(660.6 mph) at 41,088 feet, with a maximum true airspeed
of 662.5 mph achieved at 39,614 feet. Full recovery was
completed by the 36,000-foot level at Mach 0.95.
Maximum G-Ioading was 1.70 during pullout.

... Throughout the speed run, the engines were operated
at maximum takeoff thrust levels.

 

I wanted this to be possible in the sim and in fact you will be able to exceed Mach 1.0 in a dive from high altitude with takeoff thrust.

 

I'll think about how many Gs would be reasonable, or try to find some data for that. 

 

Engine fires are not simulated.  Testing the fire bell is part of the normal operation of the aircraft.  An engine catching fire is not. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, that should read "50 pound push".  For some reason I can't edit my posts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael2 said:

Engine fires are not simulated.  Testing the fire bell is part of the normal operation of the aircraft.  An engine catching fire is not. 

But I suppose an engine may fail if you operate it in a very wrong way, e.g., by staying over max manifold pressure etc.? 

 

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Michael2 said:

It isn't realistic for the aircraft to break up just because you over speed it for a short time.  During testing. Douglas deliberately broke the sound barrier with a DC-8 before delivering it to an airline.  Quoting from a book on the DC-8:

1

WOW didn´t now that, what a bird.

 

6 hours ago, Michael2 said:

 

I wanted this to be possible in the sim and in fact you will be able to exceed Mach 1.0 in a dive from high altitude with takeoff thrust.

1

Okay, that makes sense to me.

 

6 hours ago, Michael2 said:

Engine fires are not simulated.  Testing the fire bell is part of the normal operation of the aircraft.  An engine catching fire is not. 

 

 

I know that but I don't know if connect events like engine fire (on the sim) and fire alarm it's too much complicated but would be very nice to have it. Yes I´m not saying develop this plane training emergency skills, but if fire alarm is developed as part of normal ops, would be very nice detail.

6 hours ago, Michael2 said:

Sorry, that should read "50 pound push".  For some reason I can't edit my posts. 

Don't worry I make a lot of writing mistakes, I´m the king of that, aerosoft staff knows.

 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 6:05 AM, Eduard Gasull said:

I know that but I don't know if connect events like engine fire (on the sim) and fire alarm it's too much complicated but would be very nice to have it. Yes I´m not saying develop this plane training emergency skills, but if fire alarm is developed as part of normal ops, would be very nice detail.

 

 

I read where Chuck Yeager flew the chaseplane (an F-104) when the DC-8 broke the sound barrier.

 

As for fires -- if you want to, you can initiate that type of failure by shutting down an engine in flight -- and then hit the fire alarm on the FE panel.  I know it is not the same, but at least we have the alarm, and can still sim a failure ourselves so-to-speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.4.2018 at 12:05 PM, Eduard Gasull said:

 know that but I don't know if connect events like engine fire (on the sim) and fire alarm it's too much complicated but would be very nice to have it. Yes I´m not saying develop this plane training emergency skills, but if fire alarm is developed as part of normal ops, would be very nice detail.

 

The issue here is always where to start and where to stop. If you start adding the alarms in correct initial indications, like fire warning lights, etc. then people will expect the rest of the system to work, too.

Somebody will then always ask why the next step isn't simulated if the first one already is, etc.

Finding a good average is what counts here. Once you start on it the point where to stop is always very hard and at least some customers will be upset either way, regardless of what you do.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, Emanuel Hagen said:

 

The issue here is always where to start and where to stop. If you start adding the alarms in correct initial indications, like fire warning lights, etc. then people will expect the rest of the system to work, too.

Somebody will then always ask why the next step isn't simulated if the first one already is, etc.

Finding a good average is what counts here. Once you start on it the point where to stop is always very hard and at least some customers will be upset either way, regardless of what you do.

That true an i undertsand. I though it was a very small detail, but thinking that say you are totally right. Any way DC-8 as it is it’s a very strong product. For me the only one that i really hope and beg to see in the future updates is shared cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now