VOR Question DC8

Eduard Gasull

Today I was doing the NDB 36  of GCLA, at Tesel I was on 117.7 TFN with R270 to R269 with a correct radial lecture on HSI.  I started to prepare the approach and tuned 389 BX NDB (GCLA)  and then tuned TFS VOR on NAV 2 116.4 to get the reference, as ARACO (IAF OF NDB 36 GCLA)  is at D44 TFS and D24 of BV.  the HSI of NAV 2 was showing  NAV OFF ( No radial lecture) but it had a lecture(DME) of the distance from the present position to VOR  (the first weird thing I did not understand).  So I continue to R269 TFN from Tesel to ARACO 33 miles more (with no TFS reference), because is the distance of Araco from Tesel. Arriving at Araco I tuned 112.4 BV DME on NAV 1 and start turning to course 308 to proceed to intercept the ARC D16BV But HSI NAV 1 was NAV OFF no radial lecture, but it was reading the distance remaining (DME) (after having correct lectures on nav 1 with TFN VOR) So with Both HSI with no lecture, at this point I was "fishing" sharks in the moon, I wasn´t getting anything at all and proceed the APP as I could. (With successfully landing but a questionable approach) 

So my question is why I'm getting this NAV OFF on HSI (no radial indication), I don't understand what I doing wrong, what I was missing.  Is la PALMA in this case only DME?  ,Why I haven´t vor lectures on NAV 2  with TFS tunning on  wich its suppoesd its VOR DME, I was getting only lectures od DME but not the VOR

thanks for your time.

Please login to display this image.

its seems that i don´t understand Navdata pro charts legend. I found a document that @mopperle posted once https://www.ivao.aero/training/documentation/books/understand_lido_charts.pdf. for some ho has the same problem that i.  The main reason is that I thought that BV was VOR/DME and it's only a DME. What is still strange is that I didn't have VOR lecture of TFS on nav 2 because TFS its a VOR with no doubts and i was "close" to TFS

Archived