• Aerosoft

Check out the system requirements of the newly 64 bit Switzerland Professions from FlyLogic (we are reseller for that). 

Please login to display this image.

Note that it needs a 8Gb graphics card. Now this will be a shock to many users but it is something that we'll slowly will have to get used to. P3d V4.2 is a professional simulator at heart where the cost of the hardware is hardly something the developers have to think about.  But when you decide to switch cards (the moment the prices drop a bit) it is something you have to keep in mind. The whole new generation of GPU's will come with 6 or 8 gb of memory (not a moment too soon as many titles will benefit from it). 

We have been experimenting a bit with these cards and we see that the performance gains in some conditions is considerable. 

As always using the hardware that is advised by the developers (in this case P3D V4) will guarantee good performance. Anything below that will most likely work but will not be optimal.

I am wondering these days as I am looking for a new build, but what is mainly the technical differences between an 1080Ti of 850,- and (+)1150,- ?

Is it really needed to get into the (+)1050,- price range?

8 GB of video memory is a lot and I think most people can't afford to buy a video card with that much memory. Even 6 GB isn't much better.

I got a pretty good graphics card myself (Nvidia GeForce GTX 960), but it's only got 2 GB GDDR5 memory. I think that's about the average graphics card a simmer has these days, some people even got less. Those people will be disappointed because the add-on comes with far too high demands for them. Either they don't buy the add-on because they don't have the hardware for it, or they buy it and then complain it doesn't work as it should.

I know it sounds unnatural, but maybe it's an idea for a developer like this one to lower the quality of the product a bit so that it runs on lower hardware and therefor more people can enjoy it. I'd rather have an add-on of lower quality that works than one of higher quality that doesn't work. For me, upgrading my graphics card isn't an option yet for financial reasons and certainly not to one that is as expensive as this add-on requires. Why should I if it's good enough for everything else? Maybe in a few years I'll buy a new one and I'll be able to enjoy this add-on, but as it is now, sorry, the high graphics demands are reason to not buy it.

• Aerosoft

If you have a 2Gb graphics card you have the absolute minimum to run the sim according to Lockheed. Not the sim at moderate settings and not with a complex add-on. There are dozens of great add-ons created for the 32 bit sims and compiled for 64 bit that will most likely work.

If you use P3D V4 you use a product that has a advised graphics card with 8Gb+. Not us, but Lockheed. If you feel it should not be so vram demanding your first call should be to Lockheed. 

Well, if this is the bare minimum then I'm curious what there is to gain with more vram. It certainly doesn't feel like the bare minimum, it feels like a lot more. I'm running P3D v4 at reasonably high settings with a good number of add-ons (ORBX Global/Vector/OpenLC, Rex SkyForce 3D, PMDG 737NGX, a good number of quality add-on airports (Aerosoft, FlyTampa, etc) and it's all running pretty smooth. FPS are good, it's all loading fast, etc.

• Aerosoft

And all of those add-ons are basically 32 bit. None use new technology like RealLight, TrueGlass, VR based dynamic lights, Connected Flight Deck. 

Internally we see a lot of add-ons from our befriended developers that will be released in the second half of this year. All of those will be more demanding on vram. Just look at the amazing work that OrbX is doing for the Netherlands. That's dozens of gigabytes of scenery. If you think you can run that with high def airports and the newest aircraft in 2Gb of graphics memory you will be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20-4-2018 at 8:07 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

If you think you can run that with high def airports and the newest aircraft in 2Gb of graphics memory you will be disappointed.

Actually I have ORBX TrueEarth HD Netherlands installed and so far I'm not disappointed. Yesterday I took the PMDG 737NGX up for a test flight from Amsterdam (FlyTampa) to Maastricht (Aerosoft) and it works great. FPS are good, no problems at all.

I have P3D v4.2 with 90% of setting slider to the max, some little adjustment on Prepar3d.cfg, ORBX pack (Global+Vector+Europe LC), Mesh FS Global, REX 4 Enhanced, REX Skyforce 3D flying only addons scenery (ORBX, AS, Flytampa, etc) online on Ivao with AS16 wx.

Actually with TFDi 717 waiting for AS Busses.

Well, with my GTX 980ti 6GB I've stable 35Fps (locked at 36) on many scenery; only on particulary heavy scenery Fps drop to 20-25 (like EHAM Flytampa or LOWI ORBX). Same condition (nightand rainb with clouds)

Sometimes little lag on load texture (building) only when changing view.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the end I have decided to wait for purchasing a new GPU. I want to await the introduction of the new model/chip range (Either the 11XX or 2XXX series, whatever NVIDIA are going to name them).

Prices on the 10XX series is dropping quite well now, so if the blockchain market keeps slow and if there is any introduction of new NVIDIA gear in july/august (speculative) it might even drop further.

Archived