Great addon!

theophile

Hi,

Let me state that I am very happy with the new DC8.It was indeed long overdue and missing in the latest flightsimulators.The flight model is a dream to fly and as far as I can tell,

after a couple of flights,most things work correctly.One issue that I had was that starting the engines was sometimes a problem.I finally found a solution to this by loading the DC8

after having loaded an aircraft with the batteries and the avionics power on and the fuel valves open.From then on, I was problem free.One other minor issue I had is that it is difficult

to find the clickspot to change the INS from manual to auto.Also sometimes the NAV sounds (VOR,ADF) cannot be silenced,even though the sound switches are off.But these are all

of course minor issues.The lighting is very well done,the ILS capture is spot on,but for me,the main thing is the great flight model.She flies like you would expect a DC8 to fly.

The venerable Paul Golding tried to make a DC8 a few years ago,but never managed to finish it.I think that this software is what he had in mind.

Thank you for a great product!

• Developer
8 hours ago, theophile said:

.Also sometimes the NAV sounds (VOR,ADF) cannot be silenced,even though the sound switches are off.

Does this happen consistently for you? I haven't been able to duplicate it. The DC8 loads with the switches for these sounds off.  If you changed to the DC8 from an aircraft that had them on, the switches and the variable might get out of sync so the switches stop working. 

Yes,it consistently happens.I just redownloaded and reinstalled the DC8.I start with a stock airplane with the nav sound switches off..I tried the P3D switches to shut of the nav sounds (ctrl& and ctrlé).Nothing works.

I have a more serious issue now.In midflight,the simulator crashes every time.I have no idea why.It must be due to the DC8.I also fly the MaddogX regularly and it never causes this issue.So,I guess something in the DC8 software

makes this happen.I still need to start the DC8 with a stock plane loaded first with batt on,avionics on and mixture full rich in order to be able to start the DC8.I tried to start it without these presettings and the DC8 would not 

start.Also,are there any failures preloaded in the DC8?Today I got a hydraulic pressure failure.My pumps where on,engines running.As I was lined up to takeoff,I put on the auxiliary pumps to get some pressure.I managed

to takeoff,but gear retraction was a problem.

Please don't get me wrong.I love this airplane.But these are maybe the usual v1.0 problems of a new product.I would be greatfull for any advice.

• Developer

How are you turning on the nav sounds?  It may be that if you use P3D key presses the switch and the variable get out of sync and the value gets stuck (I tried and got the value and switch out of sync, but not stuck).  If that's the case try again using only the switches on the audio panel at the back of the pedestal.

If I see there is a problem using key commands I will tweak the code to allow it, but it will take a while to get into an update.

With respect to P3D crashing mid flight, I would not say that it "must" be due to the DC8.   For example, I know there is a windows bug that on some systems (such as mine) that will cause P3D to crash a certain time after any aircraft is reloaded in the sim.  The next time you have a crash, if you are on windows 10, type event viewer in the search field at the left end of the task bar. Open the event viewer app and go to windows logs, application, and see what caused the crash. 

With respect to hydraulic failure, failures are not modelled.  I think twice, in hundreds hours of testing, I twice did something that messed up the hydraulics so that I couldn't fix it without reloading the aircraft. I can't duplicate it and never did find the cause. I may have spun the mouse wheel on one of the switches causing it to rapidly flick back and forth or something like that.  If it happens again, please report what led up to the hydraulics not working. 

Until we get every problem identified, the best way to go is to load the tutorial flight, change the aircraft to the livery you want to use and save it. Then load that flight and move to whatever airport you want using the P3D menu. Then use the loader to set you fuel and payload and you should be good to go. 

Thanks for the reply.I removed a weather radar that I had installed in the DC8 and now I have no more crashes.So now my only problem is the audio.I tried the audio shutoff keys on other P3D aircraft and they

work flawlessly.Only in the DC8 they do not work.

Other question:is there a way to save the INS data when saving a flight? I see that almost everything is saved except for the INS.Just wondering.

I still think this is the most wonderfull aircraft;And her flight model is second to none.You people really did a great job.

I started the sim with the tutorial as you suggested,and strangely now the NAV sounds CAN be shutoff.I do not understand why,but am gratefull.Now everything works.Thanks for

the help!

• Developer

Glad you got it working.  The ident sounds should go on and off if you only use the VC switches and not key commands. I'm working on a fix that will allow either key commands or use of the VC switches.

The INS state has code to save its state and is working well in my testing.  Everything is saved -- you should even be able to save in the middle of the alignment process. Can you point to something specific that leads you to think it's not saving and then loading?

• Developer

Glad you got it working.  The ident sounds should go on and off if you only use the VC switches and not key commands. I'm working on a fix that will allow either key commands or use of the VC switches.

The INS state has code to save its state and is working well in my testing.  Everything is saved -- you should even be able to save in the middle of the alignment process. Can you point to something specific that leads you to think it's not saving and then loading?

"Thanks for the reply. I removed a weather radar that I had installed in the DC8 and now I have no more crashes."

Curious what weather radar you installed.  I've been flying with Roland's Weather Radar and not experienced this.

• Developer

I don't whether FSUIPC auto saves will save all the custom variable data. But on a normal save using the P3D interface, all the INS state will be saved.

Archived