Problem with the landing lights

Sar71

Hi,

I have a problem with the taxi, landing, wing and ground flood lights. When turned on the light beam on the ground is either barely or not visible at all:

Please login to display this image.

It looks not even close to what we saw in the preview thread. The manual says that one can either use P3D's dynamic lights or another light technology. My problem is that the two taxi and landing light switches always move simultaneously. So I'm unable to turn on only the left one to use dynamic lights. So I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks and greetings
Tim  

• Developer

The lights are bright and working correctly at my end, so we should be able to get it right on your system as well.  First, to use the v.4 dynamic lights you need dynamic lights turned on.

Then, inside the VC, both the nose lights and the wing lights have two switches that move together. For each pair, if you click on the left switch, you get the v.4 dynamic lights.  If you click on the right switch you get the other type without the FPS hit. 

The ground flood is dynamic lighting only, so you need dynamic lighting on in the options to use it. 

If the runway is a very dark black, the lights can be hard to see except on the white markings. Its hard to make black look lighter. 

Hello Michael,

thanks a lot for the quick reply! 

Dynamic lighting is activated in the options and it works well with the default and other addon aircrafts that use these lights. But when I use the left switch to turn on the taxi and landing lights I see no lights at all. Which is a pity as it looks excellent in your picture.

Greetings
Tim

• Developer

Can you tell me if the dome light and FE flood lights work?  They are also v.4 dynamic lights.

It may be that the sim can't find your effects folder.  Can you look at this screen shot and see if your set up and add-on.xml is different than mine?

Here is how it looks on my PC:

I'm relatively new to P3Dv4 and have not much experience with installing addons outside the FS main directory...but I guess the fact that I have two add-on.xml files could be the reason for this problem?

Greetings

Tim

• Developer

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is an installation path issue.  Aerosoft made the installers and I think Aerosoft is going to have to address this.

In the meantime you could try to replicate my folder set up and addon.xml.  Both of you have a different set up from what I have. 

My version was set up manually. I don't have an installer version yet. 

• Aerosoft

I looked at the installer but I can't see where the error could be (with the new system it is not even installing, it's just copying to the disk). As it works with all users except two there has to be a local aspect. Something must be non standard on these two systems.

In wich folder i supouse to install DC8 because but default with the new installers, the ask me to put in programs X86 folder. And thats weird but is the folder where is actually installed. It need to be diferent?

vor 10 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

I looked at the installer but I can't see where the error could be (with the new system it is not even installing, it's just copying to the disk). As it works with all users except two there has to be a local aspect. Something must be non standard on these two systems.

I guess my error was that I did not install the DC-8 in the "...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" but created an Aerosoft folder within that folder and installed the DC-8 into "...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Aerosoft". The installer then installed the DC-8 into that Aerosoft folder but obviously also created a DC-8 folder in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons main directory.

vor 18 Stunden , Michael2 sagte:

In the meantime you could try to replicate my folder set up and addon.xml.  Both of you have a different set up from what I have. 

That's what I did but without luck. The landing and taxi lights are still not visible. Is there anything else that I could check?

Btw. is it possible to install the DC-8 directly into the P3Dv4 Simobjects folder? I just tried it and moved the DC-8 folder into the "C:\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes" folder but P3Dv4 crashes when I load the DC-8.

Greetings

Tim

• Aerosoft
5 minutes ago, Sar71 said:

I guess my error was that I did not install the DC-8 in the "...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" but created an Aerosoft folder within that folder and installed the DC-8 into "...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Aerosoft". The installer then installed the DC-8 into that Aerosoft folder but obviously also created a DC-8 folder in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons main directory.

That's what I did but without luck. The landing and taxi lights are still not visible. Is there anything else that I could check?

Btw. is it possible to install the DC-8 directly into the P3Dv4 Simobjects folder? I just tried it and moved the DC-8 folder into the "C:\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes" folder but P3Dv4 crashes when I load the DC-8.

Greetings

Tim

I suggest first trying to drop the DC8 folder in the standard C/USER/Documents/P3DV4-ADDONS  folder.

1 minute ago, Sar71 said:

Greetings

Tim

But you need to fist set NOUSE LIGHTS TO OFF. Then Landing lights (extend and on) to ON and the NOUSE LIGHTS TO LAND. I will going to upload a video. Other way does not work.

• Developer

You will have noticed that the both the nose and landing lights each have two switches that move together. The left switch for each pair will turn on the P3D v4 dynamic lights (which don't seem to work on your installation).  The right switch for each pair will operate an alternative lighting system which doesn't need dynamic lights turned on the sim settings.  It's a little too dark in the video to see which switches you are using, but I think what we see here is that the lights work only if the right switch is used.

Can you do one thing for me so I can rule out one possible cause?  I'm not sure the sim is seeing the effects folder in your install.  If that is the case it won't see the scenario folder either.  Can you tell me in you see the tutorial flight in your scenario or saved flight view where you load a scenario?

It's called "Aerosoft DC8 Tutorial Flight".  Like in the screenshot:

Archived