CTP with DC8

richboy2307

Hey guys,

Will be streaming the DC8 for Vatsim's CTP later today, giving us plenty of time to find bugs :P

More info about timings and where to watch here: https://www.twitch.tv/events/WO03VjRdTiyf3RrrNt6Q_A

Will also be giving away a copy of DC8 as a celebration of this amazing aircraft and my milestone of hitting 2K followers. Be sure to join in for a chance to win it (probably around 1700z UTC)

• Developer

I would help you out with the fuel calculation, but it's getting close to midnight my time and I've had the more than one celebratory post release beverages.  So all I can tell you is to look at the fuel planning chart and extrapolate using the cruise fuel burn charts. Then you need to add additional fuel because the planning chart assumes a lower initial weight than you will need. That's the hard part.

Haha no problems. I'm just assuming the worst case fuel burn and sort of interpolating off of that. I'll probably end up with way more fuel than I need, but best to err on the side of caution. Better than the alternative of having too little. :P

Anyways, :cheers_s: and see you on here soon with probably some bugs i'll find. Bound to find some after i've spent 10 hours in the thing flying it across an ocean :D

• Developer

Realistic air starts are on my "to do list" for an update, but in the meantime I believe the engines will re-start if you follow the same procedure as for a ground start.

• Developer

I've been watching this a little, but can't use the chat because I'm not on Facebook. 

The DME update has two distinct procedures.  First you enter the DME station data using an ID number (set with the little wheel) other than 0 -- figure 6 in the manual.  

Then you enable the update mode -- figure 7 in the manual.  You must follow every step for it to work.

You can bring up a pop-up (shift 4) to see if the update is working. 

A quick question regarding the DC-8 as I was following the stream yesterday: how can one prevent the AP of oscillating around the target FL. I've read a minute ago, that the v/s should be reduced to 500fpm a few thousand feet before reaching cruise level? I saw the oscillating yesterday in the stream and had the same problem before. So 500fpm a few k-ft before cruise lvl and then pitch-damper?

Cheers,

Pete

• Developer

There is a tendency to oscillate if you make a big change quickly in VS before going into the zero detent.  The retired pilot in the beta told us some oscillation was normal for these older autopilots.  Whatever weather engine you use + turbulence can contribute to.

If it gets out of hand like in the live stream (I saw that too) put the AP pitch knob into pitch damper mode and manually trim the stabiliser to achieve stable level flight before going back to VS mode and then get the VS wheel back in the zero detent.

Hey Michael,

Sorry for late replies, been taking a while to recuperate from that marathon of a flight lol. :P

On 15/04/2018 at 1:03 AM, Michael2 said:

The DME update has two distinct procedures.  First you enter the DME station data using an ID number (set with the little wheel) other than 0 -- figure 6 in the manual.  

Then you enable the update mode -- figure 7 in the manual.  You must follow every step for it to work.

Will try that in the future flights next weekend. I'm positive there is user error involved in it not working during the stream. I definitely need to spend more time with the INS manual :D

As for oscillations, I think I did command steep descents rather quickly, dialing VS down to -1500fpm~1800fpm within seconds. So I guess i'll be more careful and finesse it on future flights and get back to you if it still has oscillations.

As for the DME (it doing constant rotations through entire range of possible numbers when no station is tuned in), is that a bug only I am noticing or you are aware of it?

Secondly, the transponder being able to go to transponder codes 8 and 9 for each digit - bug or feature? ^_^

All in all though, i'm pleasantly surprised at both the quality and stability of this addon, so hats off to you and the beta team for that. Was a joy to fly in the little while I got to fly it (except for the fuel imbalance that I created :P ).

Can't wait to spend more time with the bird, and more hand flying next weekend.

• Developer
1 hour ago, richboy2307 said:

As for the DME (it doing constant rotations through entire range of possible numbers when no station is tuned in), is that a bug only I am noticing or you are aware of it?

The real one does that.  It's described in the manual (the real one and the Aerosoft one) and I have some video footage showing the behaviour. 

1 hour ago, richboy2307 said:

Secondly, the transponder being able to go to transponder codes 8 and 9 for each digit - bug or feature?

I didn't know they shouldn't do that.  Will put it on the list.

I watched some of your stream on and off.  I think I will need to implement proper air starts as it is too easy to shut down an engine by mistake if you play around with the tank selector levers (as you found out). BTW, for normal operations you should  not move the levers at all. Fuel transfer is done only with the pumps on (for the tanks you are transferring out of) and valve switches on the bottom of the panel open (for the tanks receiving fuel).  Anyhow, congratulations on making it down in one piece in spite of the misadventures with the fuel panel!

31 minutes ago, Michael2 said:

The real one does that.  It's described in the manual (the real one and the Aerosoft one) and I have some video footage showing the behaviour. 

Ah cool. The more you know.. 

31 minutes ago, Michael2 said:

I think I will need to implement proper air starts as it is too easy to shut down an engine by mistake if you play around with the tank selector levers (as you found out).

Yes please. I can see the logic behind it not being there, as engine failures are not modelled so to you it seemed like an unlikely situation, but yeah in the sim moving levers around the wrong way is way too easy :D

32 minutes ago, Michael2 said:

BTW, for normal operations you should  not move the levers at all. Fuel transfer is done only with the pumps on (for the tanks you are transferring out of) and valve switches on the bottom of the panel open (for the tanks receiving fuel). 

Yeah I tried that, but for some reason I couldn't get the fuel to transfer from #1 ALT to #1 MAIN (probably due to some user error), so I decided to change the #1 lever to ALT to directly have ENG1 feed via the ALT instead of through the MAIN. As for getting it back to MAIN, I used the scroll wheel up but instead it went down. Probably should have right clicked instead.

Would it be possible to add the direction of movement in the tool tips to help out? e.g. "Left Click: DOWN Right Click:UP" 

Archived