fuel consumption

Buffalobill

Hi I wonder if anyone can help, is the reserve fuel counted in with the trip fuel or is it separate  when its asked for useable fuel for weight purposes. I want to load manually the fuel but don't no the rules on reserve fuel. when u have finished a trip and want to find out how much u have used do u take the fuel, left away from the total trip fuel or from the trip fuel plus the reserves.to find out the fuel used, hope that's clear enough if not I can explain again.

Reserve fuel differs by the different states. The US FAA for example got different rules than the european EASA.

In the EU there is 5% contingency fuel added on top of the trip fuel, or a minimum or 5 minutes, whichever is more. This can be lowered to 3% is a suitable enroute alternate is choosen.

Then you need to carry 30 minutes of fuel enabling to hold 1.500ft above the destination airport and of course the alternate fuel including fuel for one missed approach at your destination.

If you want to know how much you used best check the fuel used indicators in your engine instruments. They are the only reliable source.

Of course you could also substract the fuel remaining from the total fuel you took with you, but this would include probably losses due to leakage, etc.

The above text is only valid for EASA regulations and jet aircraft. With Prop it is different.

I believe what EMI is talking about is regulations and airline policies for a required fuel reserve.  As far as the fuel calculation goes it is a separate entry and on most modern airliners it is often a separate entry into the FMS.

SimBrief provides an ability to calculate fuel and to add a fuel reserve - and it will then provide you with documentation for the flight (including fuel figures) tailored to many different airline formats.  I've been so busy over the past few years that I've not had an opporunity to learn PFPX but it may well do the same for you.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Best wishes.

Archived