Question about Wind Data and PFPX using winds aloft.

Confused about how best to use wind data when planning.

Does PFPX plan for forecasted winds aloft when it makes its routes with its build in wind data or just current winds?  I assume it varies the route to find the most favorable wind.

PFPX weather provides forecast winds aloft but if I select Active Sky wind data it is only a snapshot of current winds.  Therefore, Is it best to use PFPX winds for better forecast in that case for more accurate results even though I'm flying with AS weather?  

Thanks

Hi,

PFPX will use wind forecasts for your selected timeframe in order to do performance calculation.

If you're flying AS in real time wx mode then you can just use the normal online weather of PFPX. As far as I know, PFPX and AS use slightly different providers, however, the weather forecasts are very similar. You shouldn't be able to see a difference between them. Also remember that the forecast of winds aloft in real life can be quite inaccurate so this factor just adds some more realism to it. 

The only reason to use AS weather in PFPX would be when you want to do a historic weather or similar in my opinion.

11 hours ago, IADLHR said:

herefore, Is it best to use PFPX winds for better forecast in that case for more accurate results even though I'm flying with AS weather?  

Yes, as you have noted PFPX online weather provides forecasting.

Archived