Step Descents

Sabretooth78

Is there a way to invoke a step descent without triggering the the MDCU PERF "DES" page?  I have a flight in progress where I was cruising at FL380 (mag. course 182) and descended to FL370, per RVSM, at a particular waypoint on my flight plan where the course changed to 178.  Now I was only about 40 NM short of my TOD, so perhaps I was too close to TOD (though the descent preparation alert chime hadn't sounded yet) and the system mistook it as the beginning of descent?

For what it's worth I figured something like that might happen so I entered the new cruise altitude into the MCDU before entering it on the MCP but it clearly didn't, at least in this case, make a difference.

• 2 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs
On 3/21/2018 at 3:34 AM, Sabretooth78 said:

Is there a way to invoke a step descent without triggering the the MDCU PERF "DES" page?  I have a flight in progress where I was cruising at FL380 (mag. course 182) and descended to FL370, per RVSM, at a particular waypoint on my flight plan where the course changed to 178.  Now I was only about 40 NM short of my TOD, so perhaps I was too close to TOD (though the descent preparation alert chime hadn't sounded yet) and the system mistook it as the beginning of descent?

For what it's worth I figured something like that might happen so I entered the new cruise altitude into the MCDU before entering it on the MCP but it clearly didn't, at least in this case, make a difference.

Hi, maybe a late answer, but STEP ALTS are not included in the current version. The new Prof version will support STEP ALTS.

Archived