BVI Pilot: Controller Config for Airbus A321 with FSXSE

JLove

I originally posted my questions

here

.  The response I received stated In part:

As the product page clearly states you need a physical controller device with an axis for the throttle. You can't fly the Aerosoft Airbus with the keyboard. 

(This is why I wrote in my initial post:

" I am using the Airbus A321-211CFM along with Multi Crew Experience (MCE).  I was told by the developer of MCE that pitch, altitude, rate of descent/climb, etc., for the Airbus A321 cannot be controlled via the keyboard...That being the case, I am using an Xbox 360 controller since I can't afford a yolk at the moment, and FSXSSE sees the controller fine."  I wonder if he just missed that part.

Second part of responder's post:

Furthermore I strongly suggest to work yourself through the included step-by-step guide.

I have looked at the guide that he/she is referring to.  Obviously, that was my first stop before posting.  There are sections about controller configuration.  However, thise sections do not help me, as the writer of the guide chose not to write out textual instructions about settings.  Instead, he/she chose to use images.  As I am blind, those images are inaccessible to me.  I use a screen reader to access my computer.  It converts printed text into speech for me.  It does not, however, have the capability of reading or describing graphics to me.  The OCR (optical character recognition) feature included that is supposed to allow it to interpret some images does not always work well, and in many cases the feedback is jumbled or filled with mistakes, or it literally cannot recognize anything.  OCR is far from perfect, and in this particular case, it simply provides no feedback at all.  Here is an example of what my screen reader does give me:

"In FSX select “Settings”, then “Controls…”. We’ll look at the CALIBRATION tab first
Note that preferably the Null Zones should be set to minimum and Sensitivity set to Maximum.
Now click the CONTROL AXES tab. If you only have a single joystick with one throttle axis, the FSX controller menus should look like this:
85937"

So part of the manual is text that describes how to navigate to a given menu (which I already knew anyway), but in the actual menus, the places where I need text the most, are just images.  The random numbers that you see, "85893," and "85937," are how my screen reader is conveying the images to me.  In other words, I know it's an image, but that's all.  Again, the OCR feature provided no feedback, so even that attempt to decipher the image was unsuccessful.  Therefore, it was necessary to post to the forum to get some actual textual instructions.

Here's the thing:  Obviously, I'm not going to waste someone's time by posting an issue to a forum that I could have solved myself by reading a book or a manual.  That being the case, I was quite disappointed when the only response I got was essentially "You cannot use a keyboard," which I had already acknowledged in my original post, and "Read the book," which I would have obviously done prior to writing the post.  Add to that the fact that the thread was closed right after that, not giving me a chance to even respond, and my disappointment grew.  So I've decided to try again.  The link above will take you to my initial post with questions, as that is easier than copying the whole thing here.  I am hoping that this time I will receive instructional feedback that I can actually use.  I am not an idiot.  I have a fairly good grasp of the English language, and I have knowledge of computers (with certifications to prove it).  The point is, if I am provided textual, clear instructions, I can follow them.

If interested, you can find more information on the screen reader I am using

here

Archived