Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A318/A319/A320/A321/A330 Professional Preview (part 5)

Important Post
Normal Post
6 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Yes, we seen the same on many systems but a heavy impact on others. A lot of unknowns. 

I also have the 717 and after lots of time experimenting I was able to get acceptable performance with TG and RL with a lo spec system (4790k @ 4.6 overclock, GTX960 2gb @ 1300mhz boost). I believe the code may be particularly sensitive to AA (super sampling), than anything else. I run 4xmsaa, with fxaa on, aniso 16X at 1080p and 2k (2048) texture resolution. This gets me a smooth 25 fps under most circumstances.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, samwise7 said:

I also have the 717 and after lots of time experimenting I was able to get acceptable performance with TG and RL with a lo spec system (4790k @ 4.6 overclock, GTX960 2gb @ 1300mhz boost). I believe the code may be particularly sensitive to AA (super sampling), than anything else. I run 4xmsaa, with fxaa on, aniso 16X at 1080p and 2k (2048) texture resolution. This gets me a smooth 25 fps under most circumstances.  

FYI... that is not considered a low end system, with a graphics card upgrade it would be considered High End.  I'm presently running an i7-4770K at 4.56GHz with a GTX1080 and there isn't anything I can't run at average 30fps or greater... and I have my frames locked via Vsync at 30fps.  One thing though, I do use a 55 inch 4K but also have three other 23 monitors on the same card.

I consider upgrading about every 6 months, but honestly I just don't need to!

Best wishes.

• Upvote 2

vor 31 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

So in our bus you will see a lot of coffee early in the morning.

Is it possible to deactivate the cup of coffee function? I really like Aerosofts point of view of how to simulate the airbus but getting a simulated cup of coffee (why not getting myself a real one instead) is a bit over the top for me :D

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

One thing though, I do use a 55 inch 4K but also have three other 23 monitors on the same card.

I'm running a 34" Ultrawide with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 and think It's hot @ 55° 

What are you getting running all that off one card?

1 minute ago, Geddy_2112 said:

I'm running a 34" Ultrawide with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 and think It's hot @ 55° 

What are you getting running all that off one card?

With VSync on I get 30fps everyone with everything (payware airports, aircraft, etc.).  I also run a TON of flight sim software (ActiveSky, Navigraph Charts, Avilasoft EFB, Vpilot, Stream software, Stream Chat software Stream Monitoring software, Group Voice Server, Web Browser, Email,

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, samwise7 said:

Compared to the PMDG 737, I get lower frames with the 717, even if it's only cloudy and daytime. (Running i5 7500, 16GB RAM, GTX770)

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

So when we learned that a crew almost never finds an Airbus 'Cold and Dark' because ground crew almost always wake up aircraft after a nights sleep we decided that that feature was not seriously important. It's still there, it still works but we do not work on it. That comes a shock to simmers who believe that a pilots starts every day with a cold and dark cockpit, but is is how pilots work. As real as it is in reality, not as real as simmers are led to believe. And for a crew who got up at 0400 for a departure at 0710 the list of the most important fluids for the flight does not start with fuel, it starts with coffee. The captain will ask for some coffee and the fuel report. In that order. So in our bus you will see a lot of coffee early in the morning. EXACTLY as a real crew would see. A crew of two people, that's why our Connected Flight Deck is still so incredibly important. Flying a modern airliner on your own is just weird. Crew Management is a serious part of the training of a pilot. he would not ecven dream about flying alone. You should neither. It's as unrealistic as can be. 

So, to confirm, does that mean users won't be able to set the aircraft in "Cold and Dark"?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, europe.au said:

Compared to the PMDG 737, I get lower frames with the 717, even if it's only cloudy and daytime. (Running i5 7500, 16GB RAM, GTX770)

So, to confirm, does that mean users won't be able to set the aircraft in "Cold and Dark"?

Mathijs stated that the cold and dark feature is there, which implies that it is available if desired even though crew don't usually encounter it.

10 minutes ago, europe.au said:

It has been there since the first Airbus version and there is no reason to remove it ;) 

• Upvote 2

vor 13 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Hans Hartmann is helping with some stupid issues we were unable to solve.  He keeps sending me stuff like this: if (fabs(Volume - volume < 0.001f) && !initial) and asking me if I can see the glaring fault.

Ha, that's an easy one, should be:

if (fabs(Volume - volume) < 0.001f && !initial) 

Misplaced parentheses.

1 hour ago, jencas said:

Misplaced parentheses.

I thought program analysis tools detect such stupid mistakes. I tried clang-tidy, but it did not detect this. However, plain clang (the compiler) issues a warning for these lines, but gcc not. I assume that FS addons are compiled by Micorsoft's compiler, I did not try it yet. I think many of these bugs should be detected before testing using program analysis tools, and some of them are completely free.

I don’t really want to criticize your project because I think you’re doing a great job. But I also don’t know where this thing is going... you said that this Airbus will be more focused on systems and their functions, and then you say that you’ll not work on the “cold and dark” state just because a pilot never finds an airplane in that state (and I don’t think so... I know a lot of pilots and most of them starts with the aircraft completely turned off) but you’ll concentrate on modelling more coffee cups in the morning because pilots usually drink it?...

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

14 hours ago, bene. said:

Is it possible to deactivate the cup of coffee function? I really like Aerosofts point of view of how to simulate the airbus but getting a simulated cup of coffee (why not getting myself a real one instead) is a bit over the top for me :D

Sure, don't extend the tray table and all those animations will not show.

But do note that pilots almost without exception fly in cruise with the tray table extended.

• Upvote 3

vor 1 minute, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Sure, don't extend the tray table and all those animations will not show.

But do note that pilots almost without exception fly in cruise with the tray table extended.

Thank You!

2 minutes ago, bene. said:

Thank You!

Just for my curiosity, is there a reason you prefer the flightdeck to look 'pristine'? 

It's a (small) place where two work for hours on end. We asked our befriended pilots to make some photos of the flight deck as they use it. These show often a huge mess, from Mac Donald wrappers via magazines to laptops, cameras etc etc. We have a large collection of flight decks that are almost comically full of 'stuff'. As this is how a flight deck looks in reality we feel it should be part of the simulation. As I said if you prefer a simulation product that focuses only on systems this is not for you, if you want to experience flying an airline, this will work.

It's not on the 'Leaving the cockpit' checklist but there should be something there that makes sure pilots clean up after themselves!

• Upvote 3

vor 21 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Just for my curiosity, is there a reason you prefer the flightdeck to look 'pristine'? 

It's a (small) place where two work for hours on end. We asked our befriended pilots to make some photos of the flight deck as they use it. These show often a huge mess, from Mac Donald wrappers via magazines to laptops, cameras etc etc. We have a large collection of flight decks that are almost comically full of 'stuff'. As this is how a flight deck looks in reality we feel it should be part of the simulation. As I said if you prefer a simulation product that focuses only on systems this is not for you, if you want to experience flying an airline, this will work.

It's not on the 'Leaving the cockpit' checklist but there should be something there that makes sure pilots clean up after themselves!

It's hard to explain - I think everyone has different things in flight simulation which are making the experience (or the feeling) as realistic as it gets - (Caution: philiosphical :D)  I understand if someone says I want to see the wingtip from the cockpit even if that is not the case in real life but if this makes flight simulation more realistic/enjoyable for this particular person why not - there are probably hundreds of things which are important for some people where others say this is totally unrealistic/ not important. Personally I really like it if the cockpit looks used like you do it but on the other hand I try to make my PC environment as "cockpitish" as It gets, that means I already have a cup of coffee on my desk, airport charts on my tablet and on a good day even the printed weather forecast for my flight plan - so if I have all these things also simulated they are too much and makes it feel a bit unrealistic for myself. But you provide a solution by simply deactivating it if I don't want it, thats great and thank you for that!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, pegasus said:

Sorry, I have to strongly disagree with you on this. I work at a legacy airline and can tell you that 95% of the time when I have the early shift, I find a cold and dark cockpit. This is simply due to the fact that even big airlines these days don't have their own qualified mechanics at all airports where the aircraft stays overnight. And even at the homebase pilots will find their aircraft in a cold and dark state, not only early morning but also when having to change the aircraft during the day. 

Regarding the discussion about the coffee cup: some pilots don't drink coffee.

So if Mathijs said is still possible to start from cold and dark, what are you complain for? The cup of coffe is a funny detail, a small detail that brings live to cockpit. I would understant the complains if no cold and dark was possible, but Mathijs say it: you can still start from cold and dark.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I like to do different things on different flights.  I usually prefer short turns, but if I have a little extra time and it's an early morning flight I'll do the cold & dark just to keep it fresh.  Choices are good (just as long as you don't have too many choices).  A few years ago I was on a midnight flight (actually an E190) and we were told we were going to have to sit at the gate an extra 15 minutes because there was some system fault and the only way to solve it was to actually "reboot" the airplane.  That was fun.

I would also rather chew on a piece of asphalt than drink coffee, but I have no problem with virtual coffee cups - keep 'em coming!

Good to hear that some of the focus is slowly shifting back to the A330 - that's a very promising sign.  Meanwhile, it's just the A32x and the QW 757 keeping FSX alive on my PC, but I'm in no hurry.  I have plenty to keep me occupied; probably too much actually.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2