Sign in to follow this  
DavidA

A couple of lightning related questions

Recommended Posts

Having just got back into the lightning after a break I’ve got a few questions.

 

Firstly have all three models got the same avionics now.  I know that at one point the ADF didn’t work in the F3 but seems to work in the other variants?   Secondly did the F3 VSI get redone or is just a matter of changing the background scale to match the needle?  Finally some recommendations scenery that works well with the Lightning’s and is there an AI package (I’ve noticed some models over at mil ai works) but I’m assuming the come without flight plans.

 

 

all the best

 

 

 

 

David 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidA said:

Having just got back into the lightning after a break I’ve got a few questions.

 

Firstly have all three models got the same avionics now.  I know that at one point the ADF didn’t work in the F3 but seems to work in the other variants?   Secondly did the F3 VSI get redone or is just a matter of changing the background scale to match the needle?  Finally some recommendations scenery that works well with the Lightning’s and is there an AI package (I’ve noticed some models over at mil ai works) but I’m assuming the come without flight plans.

 

 

all the best

 

 

 

 

David 

Hi there,

 

I can't quote on the ADF/VSI question, but for the scenery question it would be helpful to know which sim you're using.

 

Assuming FSX, you'd need Team SDB's RAF Binbrook (payware). For AI, you'll need John Young's FSX AI Lightnings. Over at flightsim.com you can find this:  fs2004raflightningai.zip which has flight plans you can convert to FSX/P3D using AIFP.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I hadn’t thought of that!!!!  I’m using FSX gold edition at the moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do convert the flightplans to FSX, please take a moment to decompile them and save the plans. You'll probably have to check the aircraft titles against those in the aircraft list.

I seem to remember that there are differences between the FS9 and FSX aircraft lists as supplied.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DavidA said:

  Finally some recommendations scenery that works well with the Lightning’s and is there an AI package (I’ve noticed some models over at mil ai works) but I’m assuming the come without flight plans.

 

 

 

There's also this freeware if Binbrook by Ted Andrews, it's a really good model and is on par with SDB's scenery plus its free! But follow Dave's advice and download John Young's AI Lightning and convert the aircraft in the scenery using AIFP.

 

Cameron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are three products from Team SDB with Lightnings:  Binbrook, Wattisham and Leconfield.  All have ai Lightnings, and John Young's aircraft are a must have.

 

--WH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember who but somewhere on here even used the actual Aerosoft Lightning as his AI traffic and said that it didn't hit the FPS too much.. Hate to try it with my graphics card though <_<

 

C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DavidA said:

Firstly have all three models got the same avionics now.  I know that at one point the ADF didn’t work in the F3 but seems to work in the other variants?   Secondly did the F3 VSI get redone or is just a matter of changing the background scale to match the needle?

  Hi Dave

 It looks like you have the info on scenery , so I'll address the avionics.

I'm sure  the VSI for the F3 was sorted at the time ( with the Tackpac upgrade? ) it's been a while so I don't fully recall,.  but there is no upgrade to include the ADF. ( I made a number of changes to coding for the F6, so to alter and recompile the F3 could screw other things up )

  Cheers

 Dave R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

There are three products from Team SDB with Lightnings:  Binbrook, Wattisham and Leconfield.  All have ai Lightnings, and John Young's aircraft are a must have.

 

--WH

The Leconfield from Team SDB does not have much in the way of AI traffic. Like their newer Coltishall, it has very many static aircraft and no usable parking spots.

The above shot of Leconfield is shown after my own modifications to allow AI. I'm using Leconfield as a satellite of Binbrook.

My Wattisham has F4s.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RAF Wattisham Phantom era scenery by ACG has got to be one of the best scenery addons I've ever seen and its freeware so can it get any better?? Over at the MAIW forum there's been an ongoing project for a couple of months by the original designer to convert the ACG RAF Gutersloh from FS2004 to FSX and P3D. It's been delayed because of the various clashes that appear seeing as the FS2004 version was bloody brilliant but he's working his way through the checklist. Should be good once its released and it'll be nice to fly the F.2As to their old home.. You'll just have to rewrite history a bit so that the Lightnings were operating alongside the Harrier GR3s..

 

C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

The Leconfield from Team SDB does not have much in the way of AI traffic. Like their newer Coltishall, it has very many static aircraft and no usable parking spots.

The above shot of Leconfield is shown after my own modifications to allow AI. I'm using Leconfield as a satellite of Binbrook.

My Wattisham has F4s.

 

Dave

 

True, but the ai traffic can be modified::
 

Quote

If you would like to replace all of the static Lightnings with Mike Pearson's AI versions we have provided alternate files to remove the statics and provide parking spots. These files can be found in a subfolder named "Alt. AI files" under the main "Addon ScenerySDB RAF Leconfield" folder. Full download and installation instructions are contained in the comprehensive user notes

Per the sales page on Leconfield at FSPilotShop.

--WH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, WarHorse47 said:

True, but the ai traffic can be modified::
 

Per the sales page on Leconfield at FSPilotShop.

--WH

Absolutely - with their own Lightnings which are not a patch on John Young's offerings.

If you try to use John's ones you'll find that the parking spots provided are not wide enough to display them - with one exception. You certainly won't get any other aircraft in there.

 

You'll need to change every parking spot to be at least 7 metres in width, for a start.

There are other issues, too.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the replies.  I have another question for wingman5.  On the T5 variant I’ve managed to get the engine started and taxy out without any pilots in the cockpit and the engine intake cover on.  What am I doing wrong?  

 

Also so and I’m guessing I know the answer to this would David H be able to share any of his modding skills on here (or would that break lots of copyright rules etc).

 

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DavidA said:

Also so and I’m guessing I know the answer to this would David H be able to share any of his modding skills on here (or would that break lots of copyright rules etc).

 

David

It's a commercial product, so I can't share the mods. Sorry.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a feeling you might say that.  Not to worry I’m working on my own set of mods as I type!!  I’ve got everything to work but I’m having trouble matching up the John Young’s repaints with his fs9 flightplans. I see what you mean about having to decompile them.  I’m a bit out of my depth with this one can anyone help me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DavidA said:

 On the T5 variant I’ve managed to get the engine started and taxy out without any pilots in the cockpit and the engine intake cover on.  What am I doing wrong?  

  You must have the scramjet-drone variant ! ;)

    I can't say exactly what you did wrong...... but you must have tried very hard !  I presume you did a control + E start or slewed to height ?

even then, had you turned on the battery  it wouldn't happen....  I think you may even have taxied out with the brakes on ?

   I realise that not everyone will want to go through the full cockpit drill.... so it's always best to select-all on before going for an autostart.

 Cheers

 

 Dave R

   

 

      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DavidA said:

I had a feeling you might say that.  Not to worry I’m working on my own set of mods as I type!!  I’ve got everything to work but I’m having trouble matching up the John Young’s repaints with his fs9 flightplans. I see what you mean about having to decompile them.  I’m a bit out of my depth with this one can anyone help me?

This I can do.

 

What you have to check is that each aircraft title line is reflected in the 'aircraft' list -- so:

each [fltsim.x] entry has the line "title = ZZZ", such as: "title = JY Lightning LTF F6 XR726 AI"

 

In the aircraft file, there should be: AC#7,506,"JY Lightning LTF F6 XR726 AI"

 

See how they match? You've got to make sure that all yours do the same. Some won't match, and you'll either have to substitute one that isn't used elsewhere or delete that aircraft from the list.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have traffic (well 11 sqdn at least).  I'm going to get some of the 5 Sqdn machines working next week.  I'm the mean time I've tried to add John Youngs Victor AI pack to the tankers section of tac pack.  I haven't had much luck, I've posted over at VRS site but help hasn't been too useful.  Do any of you have a step by step guide to setting it up?

 

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me again.

 

Start off by making sure that the Victor is in the aircraft folder. Then, run the FSX TacPack Manager.

Now, select 'Tankers' from along the top. A drop-down list appears in the 'Available Aircraft' pane.

Expand the menu and select "Handley Page AI" in the list. You will then see a list of all the possible aircraft titles. You'll have to be careful here, because the whole of the title line isn't visible and you need to select one of the aircraft on the list that uses the 'K2_hoses' model.

For the sake of argument, select the first one in the list. At the bottom of the window, select "Copy to Tankers". The aircraft now appears in the 'Tanker Presets' section, and you can make changes here.

 

When you're done, select "Save". The tanker will now appear in your usable tankers list.

 

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     You are not restricted to tankers either... put any aircraft in there and it provides you with a target to play with.

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this