Range for A321

Good evening,

just a question on the A321’s range. After doing a search, I’ve found that it’s around 3700 miles. Now, I know this isn’t with a full load. I tried a flight this morning from KLAX to CYUL - just less than 2300 miles. When I use the load manager, it shows that the only way I can make this flight is if I cap the flight at 80 passengers (about a 1/4 of its capacity). If I added more passengers, I’d max out on fuel. 

Ive noticed in this form that there are tweaks that can be made to add an aux fuel tank. Is this something that is actually done in real life?

With this in mind, is the A321 better suited for short haul flights? 

Thank you,

Colin

I used to send A321s in a high density layout (220 seats) from the UK to Egypt with a full load, which was around 19t payload. The average flight was 5hrs at a distance of 2300nm

mataus

Range values from the internet are never really reliable.
First of all: We don't know for which payload they are (most are not given for full payload), then we don't know whether it's for any airline specific modifications, like additionally installed fuel tanks, etc.

3700NM sounds quite much much for a fully loaded standard A321.

With additional tanks that range might be possible, but still not with full payload which will get you into MTOW restrictions.

Archived