Trondheim - FPS Issue on Dynamic Light P3D4.1

Tobias94

Hey guys!

I am still pretty much appreciating @Jo Erlend Trondheim scenery :) However I noticed some serious FPS issues with Dynamic Lighting on this specific scenery. These problems only occour at night and only when I have a look on the terminal area. Trondheim is the only airport where I have such FPS problems with the dyn. light.

My scenery version is 1.02, P3D v4.1.

System: Intel i5-3570K @4Ghz, 16GB RAM, 6GB MSI NVIDIA GTX1060 Gaming X, Windows 10

18 minutes ago, f.skywalker said:

Turn your Grafik Settings in the night to 2xSSAA

This helps

Frank from EDDM

Mh...unfortunately I didn't use SSAA either...I already only had 8xMSAA active. I also doesn't do any change when I switch to another AA setting or even if I switch it off. I still get the FPS problems then.

vor 21 Minuten, f.skywalker sagte:

Turn your Grafik Settings in the night to 2xSSAA

vor 18 Minuten, Tobias94 sagte:

Thanks Frank, will try that one.

It won't help much!

Any SSAA mode in P3D4 will still affect FPS with dynamic lighting on and performance will suffer. A known issue in P3D4. You need to set the slider to 8x or 4x MSAA. Do not use SSAA at night, especially because the 1060 is not the strongest video card. I have a 1080 TI GTX, and have a night setting for night flights using 8x MSAA and one for day flights using 2 x SSAA.

Maybe if the new Volta comes out this year, users can use SSAA modes wit lots of dynamic lights.

3 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

It won't help much!

Any SSAA mode in P3D4 will still affect FPS with dynamic lighting on and performance will suffer. A known issue in P3D4. You need to set the slider to 8x or 4x MSAA. Do not use SSAA at night, especially because the 1060 is not the strongest video card. I have a 1080 TI GTX, and have a night setting for night flights using 8x MSAA and one for day flights using 2 x SSAA.

Maybe if the new Volta comes out this year, users can use SSAA modes wit lots of dynamic lights.

Already using 8xMSAA, but as wrote above, there is no change on any of the AA settings for me. I can turn AA completely off, but still got the same FPS problems. The only way these drops stop, is turning off Dynamic light :(

I see, our posts overlapped since we posted at the same time....

Have you tried to delete your shaders cache to see whether it helps with dynamic lighting?

You find it at  Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D V4►  Shaders

You can delete it. It needs some time to rebuild if you start the sim.

35 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

I see, our posts overlapped since we posted at the same time....

Have you tried to delete your shaders cache to see whether it helps with dynamic lighting?

You find it at  Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D V4►  Shaders

No change unfortunately :(

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Dynamic lights are calculated all the time and thus depend heavily on your GPU. In P3D v4 they will never be fast due to the rendering system.

Then, why is Trondheim the only scenery in which I experience such FPS drops and stutters with Dynamic Light specifically? 

Also my GPU is bored during flightsim. The GPU workload is only at about 45-50%, checked with GPU-Z.

Again, this problem only appears when the Terminal is within the field of view and only in Trondheim. No problems with Oslo, any German Airport, London, etc...

Pretty unsattisfying... :(:unsure:

Locked 30FPS during taxi when the Terminal and the dynamic flood lights are out of sight - and a drop to 10-15FPS during approach and all situations where the Terminal and the flood lights are in sight... :(

So, if the GPU would be the issue or bottleneck, TRD wouldn't be the only airport where problems occur.

EDIT: That should be clear, but these drops of course only at night/dawn when the the dyn. Light is active. During the day, everything is fine and smooth.

11 hours ago, Tobias94 said:

Pretty unsattisfying... :(:unsure:

Locked 30FPS during taxi when the Terminal and the dynamic flood lights are out of sight - and a drop to 10-15FPS during approach and all situations where the Terminal and the flood lights are in sight... :(

So, if the GPU would be the issue or bottleneck, TRD wouldn't be the only airport where problems occur.

EDIT: That should be clear, but these drops of course only at night/dawn when the the dyn. Light is active. During the day, everything is fine and smooth.

Hello Tobias . Have you try to turn off Shadows ?

When I fly during , dawn , dusk or night I turn them off and everything is ok !

Mike

13 hours ago, michalis said:

Hello Tobias . Have you try to turn off Shadows ?

When I fly during , dawn , dusk or night I turn them off and everything is ok !

Mike

It is an issue specifically related to the Dynamic Light in Trondheim. Shadows don't change anything.

The performance increase only happens when I tick off the Dynamic Light in the P3D settings.

It is quite similar for me, to the issue sceneries like Stuttgart had in the beginning. With Dynamic Light 10-15 FPS, without everything is fine.

• Developer

Hi @Tobias94, try and replace the old fx files for Trondheim with the ones included in this zip, let me know if this improves the performance.

Extract the zip file and copy the three .fx files into "...\Prepar3D v4\Effects". (Remember to make a backup of the old files just in case.)

Trondheim - dynamic lights 13.02.2018.7z

21 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

Hi @Tobias94, try and replace the old fx files for Trondheim with the ones included in this zip, let me know if this improves the performance.

Extract the zip file and copy the three .fx files into "...\Prepar3D v4\Effects". (Remember to make a backup of the old files just in case.)

Trondheim - dynamic lights 13.02.2018.7z

Thanks @Jo Erlend! I will try it tomorrow :)

Archived