Simwings Library Scenery placement P3DV4

meccadom

I'm beginning to see the power under the hood as I explore this amazing product.  I am curious about scenery placement as I develop my profiles and the scenery managers within those profiles.  For example, I recently installed Aerosoft Malaga v1.04 which was developed by SimWings and a "simwings_lib" was added.  Where is the logical placement of this scenery entry and could there also be additional "simwings_lib" entries when other programs by Simwings are installed?

Dom

• Developer

Some installer (don't now Simwings in detail) does not set the <Layer>INDEX</Layer> at the add-on.xml. This will cause that the Scenery will be placed at the very top of the scenery list.

But you can move the index with SIMstarter NG > SceneryManager. Does that answer your question?

• Developer

The Layer in the xml is only needed, if a Layer is requested for a Addon, like to be lower the another Part of the Addon or it should be within the layers of the default Layers of the scenery library.

Normally a Airport Addon scenery needs not to be at a defined layer, only above all defaults or area related addons (like Orbx,UT or something like this)

A Library Entry, like Simwings_LIB, Flytampa or UK2000 Libs can be placed anywhere in the layer even on the top and above the addons used the Lib.

In a LIB Addon Area entry only includes Library Objects, no placements which could need layer orders (for example to exclude addon objects).

A lib Object only needs to be active somewhere, so the Placement used in a Addon can find the objects via the GUID.

The User or Simstarter could not know, which addon will use the Library (not every Simwings Addon use the LIB), so it is hard to define in which Profile it should be active or not. I think the best is to keep this Entry always active, as they not effect anything regarding Memory usage or Performance, as long as no addon is active and use the Objects of the LIBs.

• Developer
vor 3 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

The Layer in the xml is only needed, if a Layer is requested for a Addon, like to be lower the another Part of the Addon or it should be within the layers of the default Layers of the scenery library. [...]

Good point.

Thanks to both Pete and Oliver.  As usual, a clear and precise answer.

For Pete: To follow up, I am not completely satisfied with the logic and method I used to set up various config sets and profiles. I reviewed the video you produced and can see some changes I would make.  Can I safely delete all except the master profile and try again?  I think the answer would be yes but I wanted your confirmation before I do something stupid.

Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived