TOPCAT - Disappointed it's been abandoned by its author

I'm using PFPX for my Pilatus PC-12 flight planning so having created an aircraft profile for it I was keen to do the same for TOPCAT so the fuel and payload could be loaded directly into the aircraft. This saves a fair amount of time from doing it manually.

But in order to create a new aircraft in TOPCAT it has to be based on a template and the PC-12 is not listed. These template files are encoded so cannot be created manually. Essentially TOPCAT is useless for me for the PC-12.

I don't understand why no-one else could pick this utility up if the owner no longer has any interest in it. It is very good at what it does but unless you fly an aircraft that uses one of the supplied templates it's no use whatsoever. If TOPCAT really is dead are there any alternative programs that can move data from PFPX into P3D?

Hi Richard,

A licence (including a commercial one) for TOPCAT is still on sale here. http://www.flightsimsoft.com/pricing/

But no support forum after it was hacked and so far, no response from its author @FlightSimSoft.com. Some form of statement might be in order. How can you sell something when there's no support? The PC12 is not exactly a complicated aircraft.

I wonder if there is a freeware utility that can load payload and fuel?

Hi Ray,

I'm not knowledgeable re GA, but know of nothing, outside particular aircraft models, that will help you, I'm afraid.

Christian appears to have become overwhelmed by real-world aviation workloads over recent years and, much as we do receive occasional statements tending towards new releases, little happens. It's such a pity because both TOPCAT and PFPX offer very valuable functions but have never got beyond supporting a small subset of aircraft, and then not entirely accurately. Still, I believe that I have had my moneys worth long ago!

I would agree that it's not 'proper' to keep offering for sale two products with zero support.

Regards, Richard 

Why zero support? What prevents you from using the contact form on the developers website?

http://flightsimsoft.com/support/

There is no obligation to provide support through a forum, you have to provide one way to get support. A contact form on the website complies with this requirement, therefore there is nothing wrong I could see here.

Hi Stephen,

Nothing stops use as advertised. That's not my point.

However unreasonable I expect that, until a product has its support withdrawn, that there will be some evidence of ongoing development/support.

I am not complaining, just showing my disappointment at not seeing a rounded-out product.

• Deputy Sheriffs

And with the support ticket being raised at FlightSimSoft we can close this topic.

It still is the PFPX and not a TOPCAT support forum.

I'm sorry to disappoint you here Ray, but this is the Aerosoft forum and not the TOPCAT forum.

We are not related to TOPCAT, nor we will ever be.

We do not feel it to be appropriate to discuss a matter between you and FlightSimSoft publicly in our forums.

I will close this topic here.

If the developers wish to make a statement they will find their way to contact you and discuss it with you.

• Emi locked this topic

Archived