Incorrect pneumatic readings when starting engines

Mongoose McMoose

Please login to display this image.

Couldn't get the engines to start from Cold & Dark, had to use DAVE to set "Ready for Taxi" mode, then started up the engines, and these were the displayed pneumatic settings. APU valve closed but pressure flowing. 

There seems to be a problem with the APU bleed valve logic.

• Aerosoft

Mmmm there must be more wrong because the 'Ready for taxi' mode has the engines running. 

If you had to start them from that mode it seems logical that a lot of parameters are not correct. Of course not being able to start the engines also points out to problems. I think the APLU bleed logic problem just shows that things are messed up.

Ah, forgive me, I had to "Ready for Taxi", then shut down the engines, enter flight plan information, and then start the engines. 

However, I am able to start engines with BLEED SOURCE set to BOTH ENGINES, which seems incorrect - surely the BLEED SOURCE should be set to APU for both engine start and PACK operation?

7 minutes ago, Mongoose McMoose said:

Ah, forgive me, I had to "Ready for Taxi", then shut down the engines, enter flight plan information, and then start the engines. 

However, I am able to start engines with BLEED SOURCE set to BOTH ENGINES, which seems incorrect - surely the BLEED SOURCE should be set to APU for both engine start and PACK operation?

Bleed source selector should remain on BOTH ENGINES unless directed by a checklist. As long as the bleed valves switch is in AUTO it will determine what source to use automatically.

I don't think the bleed logic is simulated  correctly. The APU always has bleed priority on the ground in auto mode when it is on (unless anti ice is turned on). There is another post that goes over the correct logic but not sure if they intend to simulate in future updates

There is a post back on oct23 that explains what is wrong and how it should work but I'll go over it again how the auto mode works

on the ground 

1.  APU and engines off: all bleeds closed

2. APU on engines off: both PRSOV closed ISOL valve open and APU LCV open, pack valves open

3.  APU on engine start pushed: APU LCV remains open, isol valve remains opens, pack valves close, ATS (air turbine start) valve opens then closes at started cutout. 

4. APU on and R or L or both engines on: Both engine PRSOV valves remained closed, APU LCV open, ISOL valve open. 

5. APU on and L or R or both engines on and anti ice turned on ( cowl and or wings): APU LCV closes, ISOL valve closes, Operating engine/s PRSOV opens    Then anti ice valve/s opens. If single engine taxi only the operating side cowl and or wing anti ice valve will open. 

6 APU turned off L or R engine on:  APU LCV closes, isol valve opens operating engine PRSOV opens secured engine PRSOV remains closed. 

7 APU off L engine on R engine off and R start pushed: L PRSOV is open R PRSOV closed, pack valves close, isol valve open R ATS opens then closes at starter cut out. Once R engine is on line isol valve closes, R PRSOV opens and pack valves open. As APU was already off the LCV was already closed

8.  Take off with APU on both engines running anti ice off: Both engine PRSOV closed, APU LCV open, isol open. Then at Weight off wheels, thrust less then TOGA and flaps less then or equal to 20 the APU LCV closes then isol closes then both engine PRSOV open. 

9. In the air if you turn the APU on: Both engine PRSOV open, APU LCV closed, isol closed, then once gear comes down or flaps greater then 20 the both Engine PRSOV close, APU LCV opens, isol valve opens

i think this covers all scenarios. In short on the ground the APU always has priority over engine bleed air and can never supply the manifold at the same time as the engine bleed air nor can the APU supply air for the anti-ice. Also the 700/900 regulates to 45 psi in the manifold not 30psi like the 200. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, the logic of the ECS is no quite correct.  I was flying a single engine operation at 18,000' and got this logic  (see attachment). I think below 24,000'. the APU should power the right pack.  Also, this same logic shows up withjust the left engine powering the left pack, but not the right pack.

Please login to display this image.

Archived