SimStarterNG v1.6.7 - sun not appearing in P3D v3.4

Ray Proudfoot

I have been frustrated by a problem of the sun not appearing in P3D v3.4. If I delete the suneffect.cfg and repair client and content MSIs it does then reappear.

I saved a flight this morning with the sun visible but when I loaded that flight via SimStarterNG the sun was not visible. Loading P3D manually outside of SimStarterNG and then loading that saved flight also showed a missing sun. But prior to loading P3D via SimStarterNG the sun did appear when P3D was launched manually and that saved flight was loaded.

I have discounted AS16 as being responsible as the sun disappears without it being loaded. I'm convinced the problem lies in SimStarterNG but mystified how it could be happening.

Can I provide any logs that might throw some light on the problem? And is it possible a file has been corrupted causing the sun to not appear? I have posted the contents of my suneffect.cfg to the Lockheed-Martin P3D forum and it's been confirmed it's fine.

Any help much appreciated.

This problem is definitely linked to SimStarterNG. This is what I did to prove it.

• Repaired Content.msi and deleted suneffect.cfg
  • Loaded a saved flight with clear skies. Sun visible.
  • Launched SimStarterNG with a new profile. Screenshots attached showing settings.
  • The first time P3D was loaded the sun was visible.
  • Exited P3D and changed SimStarterNG Saved Flight to a different one. Result? Sun not visible.
  • Exited P3D, edited Prepar3D.cfg to load suntest flight. Result? No sun.

The suneffect.cfg has not been modified in the last 14 minutes during which time P3D has launched, closed, launched and closed again. So it's not the contents of that file that are the problem. It's been cleared as okay on the LM P3D forum. It's something that SimStarterNG is changing when it launches. But what?

The Run Manager is launching executables that have no bearing on the visuals in P3D.

Please login to display this image.

I can create the problem.

Load P3D with suntest as startup flight.after having repaired contents.msi and deleted suneffect.cfg. Result? Sun is visible.

Exit P3D and load suntest as startup in SimStarter. Result? No sun visible.

Exit P3D. Close SimStarter and repair contents.msi and delete suneffect.cfg.

Start P3D with same flight. Sun visible.

I have generated a Debug Pack and will forward it when requested.

• Developer

Hi Ray,

sorry, confirmed bug. It's a file encoding problem that just affects P3Dv3.4. The suneffect.cfg will be transformed from UTF8 to UNICODE. PREPAR3D can't read it any more and that causes the missing sun.

To fix it:

1. Download and replace "SIMstarter NG.exe" > Don't start SIMstarter NG!
  2. Download "sunEffect.cfg" and replace "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v3\sunEffect.cfg"
  3. Delete "*_sunEffect.cfg" files in "C:\Aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\data\userprofiles\P3Dv3\"
  4. Start SIMstarter NG > Open "Simulator Configuration Manager" and save all "Sim ConfigSets"
  5. Run a normal profile

To double check if everything should be normal you can validate the file encoding of "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v3\sunEffect.cfg".

It must be UTF8 for P3Dv3. I use "Notepad++". It's a powerful editor which could although transform it from UNICODE to UTF8.

Please report back. I would like to deploy this version.

Downloads:

<FILES REMOVED. FIX included in Version 1.6.8>

Hi Peter,

Happy to report the sun is back. I loaded a few saved flights and also tested for current conditions. All passed with flying colours. Confirmed too that suneffect.cfg is UTF8 via NotePad++.

Thanks very much for the quick fix. :)

Archived