assign airbus commands to encoders

ram123

Greetings fellow members,

For new year resolution, I have decided to make a cockpit control panel switch for myself.  I have been using the Linda module and fsupic registered for fsx se.

I just ran into a problem . I fly the aerosoft extended . I use the Linda module for button assignment for the aerosoft airbus.

For my home cockpit , I am planning to use potentiometer for setting the ALTITUDE , SPEED , HEADING VALUES . But the problem is the Linda module for the airbus extended contains the respective commands for button assignment only . But, as a potentiometer will be an axis assignment , I want to assign the setting for potentiometer. In fsupic axis assignment page , although there are various option available for changing the ALTITUDE and other values for fs standard aircraft , but  they don't work in airbus extended. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of programming to create my own files. Can you please provide a solution to the problem which will enable me to assign the altitude speed heading of the airbus extended to the potentiometer using axis assignment page , or if you have more better option please do advise.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Good day,

update: i was suggested to use rotary encoder instead of a potentiometer .

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, ram123 said:

update: i was suggested to use rotary encoder instead of a potentiometer .

The problem with a potentiometer is, that is has a min and a max value. Meaning you can't turn it endlessly in both directions. You need something that allows you to turn it endlessly in any direction and just gives you triggers (including the direction of turning). 

Get yourself the latest copy of LINDA and the Airbus LINDA module. The module includes an "actions.lua" file. That includes quite a lot of ready o use LUA functions that come quite handy here:

AB_SPD_plus 
AB_SPD_plusfast 
AB_SPD_minus 
AB_SPD_minusfast 

AB_HDG_plus 
AB_HDG_plusfast 
AB_HDG_minus 
AB_HDG_minusfast 

AB_ALT_plus 
AB_ALT_plusfast 
AB_ALT_minus 
AB_ALT_minusfast 

AB_VS_plus 
AB_VS_plusfast 
AB_VS_minus 
AB_VS_minusfast 

How do you want to do the switch between the managed and selected modes of each of these knobs?

Greetings,

Happy new year.

I am already using linda module and airbus extended linda file for my thrustmaster hotas button assignment. They work great.

Correct me if i am wrong on below.

The rotary encoder will be an axis assignment and not a button assignment. Linda is designed  to work with buttons , but not axes. FSUPIC has ability to assign controls to axis based items . But there are not commands (programs) of airbus extended which can be used by fsupic for axis control assignment. for the encoder..pl advise on this.

42 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

How do you want to do the switch between the managed and selected modes of each of these knobs?

i will use the SPDT switch connected to leobodnar circuit and linda module to achive this.

• Deputy Sheriffs

As far as I understand encoders, they usually have 3 pins, 1x in, 2x out. When turning the encoder it gives an impulse on one of the out pins for every reached detent. Each turning direction has it own out pin.

So in fact they are switches which give you pulses which you can then connect with either one of the above "plus" or a "minus" functions.

Tom is correct. A rotary encoder is a switch. A potentiometer (Variable resistor) must be used for axis's only. Ther are no axis's for what your trying to do. Encoder for knobs, Pot's for axis's. Axis require variable resistance. Ie. You cannot assign a Rotary encoder to an axis. You cannot assign a potentiometer to a switch closer. That simple.

Just now, Tom A320 said:

As far as I understand encoders, they usually have 3 pins, 1x in, 2x out. When turning the encoder it gives an impulse on one of the out pins for every reached detent. Each turning direction has it own out pin.

So in fact they are switches which give you pulses which you can then connect with either one of the above "plus" or a "minus" functions.

Just now, Torkermax123 said:

Tom is correct. A rotary encoder is a switch. A potentiometer (Variable resistor) must be used for axis's only. Ther are no axis's for what your trying to do. Encoder for knobs, Pot's for axis's. Axis require variable resistance. Ie. You cannot assign a Rotary encoder to an axis. You cannot assign a potentiometer to a switch closer. That simple.

OK guys. i got the point. Then things are easy  meaning, I can use linda module to assign controls for the airbus to the rotary encoder.

That solves the problem.

Many thanks guys for prompt assistance.

Its rewarding, building these modules on your own. Many good websites for info. I have a degree n Electrical engineering and still had to do much research. The hardware wasn't so complicated it was the interfacing software for the sim. Thanks to brilliant programmers of FSUIPC and Linda to make it "Talk". AB MCDUI are a little more complicated as they use Multiple function switch/encoders to change modes but it can be done.

Just now, Tom A320 said:

Please let us know about your final result (I want to see pictures ;))

Definitely i shall post the pictures once ready . 

Just now, Torkermax123 said:

Its rewarding, building these modules on your own. Many good websites for info. I have a degree n Electrical engineering and still had to do much research. The hardware wasn't so complicated it was the interfacing software for the sim. Thanks to brilliant programmers of FSUIPC and Linda to make it "Talk"

Indeed its rewarding and the joy you get when one operates the panel built by oneself................................

Now, when your all done and it's working and you turn the heading knob, or any rotary and it moves too slow, your going to ask "How do I speed it up?". When you find out . let me know. In Xplane, someone wrote a lua script to make rotaries increase/decrease faster with the speed of the knob rotation. IN FS, iv'e yet to see a solution.

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, Torkermax123 said:

Now, when your all done and it's working and you turn the heading knob, or any rotary and it moves too slow, your going to ask "How do I speed it up?". When you find out . let me know. In Xplane, someone wrote a lua script to make rotaries increase/decrease faster with the speed of the knob rotation. IN FS, iv'e yet to see a solution.

hi,

Do you have any idea if leobodnar 64-BBI card was recognized by linda module? 

Archived