Anchorage Professional DME Location Errors

downscc

All three ILS in your scenery have the DME collocated with the GS; however, according to FAA NASD data the DME transmitters are actually collated with the ILS transmitter sheds generally located within a couple hundred feet of the ILS antenna.  This error creates an error of up to 2 nm when flying the ILS approach is seems unacceptable for a high quality product because the FAA NASD data is free and easily obtained on the FAA website.

• Developer

Normaly the DME is position at the GS Antenna, but you seams to be correct that this is different in PANC.

Can you try the AFCAD in the attached File, if it is correct for you.

PANC AFX with DME at ILS Position.zip

For Europe airports the Airport description of Eurocontrol will provide the exact Lat/Lon postions for the DME's, but for PANC I don't find this info, in what I have here.

3 hours ago, OPabst said:

Normaly the DME is position at the GS Antenna, but you seams to be correct that this is different in PANC.

For Europe airports the Airport description of Eurocontrol will provide the exact Lat/Lon postions for the DME's, but for PANC I don't find this info, in what I have here.

As I started to correct the navaid placement in an AFCAD I found that you guys didn't extend the runway!!?? What!

Runway 07R/25L has been 12,400 feet for a couple of years now, at least. This scenery still has the old 10,885 ft runway. The extension is west beyond the existing 07R threshold. This too is available at the FAA website, on all charts and even google earth.  This is a disappointment.

By the way, all US airports data is free and easy to find at the FAA NFDC website here: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/aero_data/

This data is updated every 58 days, includes everything such as runway lat/lon to within 0.0001 degree, lighting, navaids, marking, etc.  You should use this data for every US location you work with.

• Developer

07R RWY extension will come as a patch. We were focused mainly on the technical adaption of the scenery and my fault was to compare it with GE pictures which showed me no actual RWY extension but now (fancy: only on some computers) I can see the allreay finished extension in GEand of course at actual charts.

Hi downscc!

Fascinating: I cannot verify the extention of runway 07R with GE Pro... But the charts are clearly depicting 12.400 feet.

Can you tell me/us please where to find the DME data/postions inside your given URL? I cannot find this data - maybe needing new glasses?

Thanks a lot!

Bert

Please login to display this image.

That's right...

Best you can see that on Jeppesen charts as they show the DME-symbol close to the positions where the LOC transmitters has to be of the ILS equipped runways 07L, 07R and 15.

So it seems to be clear that the DME is colocated to that transmitters. At 07L there is a distance of 1,9 NM to the threshold, at 07R it counts 2,2 NM. For the 15 there is no indication of the DME transmitter on the FAA chart. Jeppesen shows it colocated to the position of the LOC as well. Both charts depict no DME distances. But this has to be a distance of 2.1 NM DME.

Best regards!

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Groner said:

Can you tell me/us please where to find the DME data/postions inside your given URL? I cannot find this data - maybe needing new glasses?

Sure, first time can be difficult. I've been using this data for decades so here we go.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/aero_data/ , is the National Flight Data Center Portal.  there are two forms of data. I use the detail data but first I will show you the overview data for PANC. This page should open at the Aeronautical Data/NFDC page.  If not, navigate to:

FAA Home > Air Traffic > Flight Information > Aeronautical Information Service > Aeronautical Data/NFDC

Click on Airport Data link, enter PANC into Lookup text box. The airport data page for PANC will open and there is a selection bar from which you can choose 07R/25L and obtain a page with summarized data on this runway.

I use the above summary data often, but when laying out an airport AF file I download the 28 Day NASR Subscription file, the zip file for 1 Feb 2018 is already up so you can select that.  Now you have a choice of either the entire file or parts of it.  For our purposes we need the APT and ILS parts, and first time you also want to download the Layout Data files for APT and ILS parts.  Now you have data files and the layout of the data so you can decode it.  For example, the ILS data will contain all data on an ILS by identification and include DME lat/lon and the APT file will include such things as elevation, airport center point, mag variation, etc.

Hope this helps.

I am sure (at least I hope) that AS/SimWings will correct  these flaws very soon in an update. On the other side, Navaid incorrectness should not happen in a "professional" product.

Harry

For sure they will correct this. Making mistakes is not the problem as it's human and not aoidable at all...

Not to fix mistakes is the problem but Sim-Wings cannot be accused for not doing this.

Best for now!

Bert

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 14.1.2018 at 9:13 PM, OPabst said:

On 15.1.2018 at 4:30 PM, JPL19 said:

If the DME AFCAD fix is deemed ok will you release one for the SODE version?

Thank you.

Hi, this is a SODE version, I made the same changes as Oliver had done before.

PANC_AFX-OP01-SODE.bgl

• Developer

Hi,

we have been very busy over the last week and weekend to manage the "Rwy-Extension" update and to fix the FTX SAK problems which showed up.
Expect a 1.10 Version of Anchorage professional very soon. See new RWY at the attached screenshot.

Btw: Anything changed in PAFA Fairbanks that we could could incidentally overlook for our Pro version? 

Thorsten

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Released.
Please download Anchorage Professional 1.10 at your shop account. Don´t forget to update SODE jetways as well,
if using them. new version for 1.10 at our support site: http://www.sim-wings.com/SUPPORT_SODE.htm

Changelog (compared to initial release 1.0):
1.02:
When using a mesh resolution of 1 m together with FTX SAK strange artefacts (mesh) were visible
close to RWY 14 of PANC.
Textures showing wrong runway numbers.
When using FTX SAK Lake Hood surface was uneven.
NavdataPro charts for PANC were missing.
1.10:
Now with runway 07R extension with change of PAPI, approach lights, runway lights and aerial picture
Reduced intensity of dynamic lights at international terminal
Better integration in FTX SAK terrain to solve elevation problems at Anchorage city and elsewhere
Correction of DME location for ILS approaches
Removed hard surface obstacles at Lake hood
Redesigned configtool

Archived