CRJ-700 high nose pitch on departure

Hi all,

So I'm experiencing an issue where on takeoff, (only with the CRJ) my nose pitch is so high, I cannot activate the autopilot. As soon as I take my hand off of the yoke, I experience a sudden climb in pitch, nearly putting me in a stall. I'm not sure what to do. Fuel loaded via dave, so I'm nearly sure it's balanced (and not too heavy)

Any help is appreciated and I apologize if it's worded weirdly, it's sort of a weird issue haha.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

What is your loadout (screen shot of the CRJ Manager) and Trim Setting for Takeoff?

I'm writing from my phone so I apoligize, I'll have ti see when i get home as I'm away from my computer

Typically that occurs when either your loadout is so heavy in the rear of the aircraft that trim can't compensate (or it's tremendously difficult to compensate with trim) or you have excessive trim set on take off. 

If that happens when flying, the first thing to check/reduce is your trim.

There are two ways to trim an aircraft.  The QUALITATIVE approach is a "seat of the pants" method which is used when the pilot has manual control of the aircraft. In the situation you described, this is what you would use. You check your instruments to understand what is occurring, then you trim to bring the aircraft back in to the mid-range of the operational envelope (either straight and level or an acceptable rate of climb). Pilots flying small aircraft in flight almost always use the qualitative method of trimming their aircraft and it happens constantly throughout the flight.  If you have to push down on the yoke to maintain an acceptable rate of climb then either you're too heavy aft or you have too positive elevator trim set. You would compensate the same for both. Reduce/apply negative elevator trim until you no longer have to apply downward force on the yoke.

The QUANTITATIVE method is what is used prior to take off. This is a careful calculation of aircraft weight and balance (in our case the fuel, passengers, cargo, aircraft takeoff configuration and static trim) are taken into account to compute the correct takeoff trim.  This should be done before every takeoff, and you'd start this at the gate/stand and recompute should your takeoff configuration have to be changed (rare).  It's what keeps large aircraft from experiencing what you have been seeing, and keeps then safe.

The above is far from a complete explanation of trim calculation, but it should be enough to point you in the right direction. 

I hope this has been helpful.

FLY NAVY!

Best wishes.

1 hour ago, kwinber said:

Check the yaw damper

Welcome to the forums!

We appreciate your input, but in this case it wouldn't be Yaw (see http://howthingsfly.si.edu/flight-dynamics/roll-pitch-and-yaw) and it also wouldn't be any type of dampening that would cause this.

It's either the takeoff trim, or the weight and distribution.

Thanks again for joining in the discussion.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Load it right, trim that out. Your're the captain, hahaha.

Did you set TO trim to the given values given bei DAVE or the CRJ tool? Yes after TO it has to be retrimmt. Before activating AP you need a stable situation. I wonder what is expected, a plane pilot must to be active, this is not a 777 with  AP on at 500ft. 

I have tried many ways to manage the takeoff on the CRJ. The best and most stable is as follows,

1. Before take off set the TO Trim to the CRJ Manager number (the checklist helps here)
  2. Set HDG/NAV and SPD on in the A/P but not the A/P itself, set SPD to VT or better 180KIAS
  3. Slowly increase the throttles until TOGA
  4. Airborne reduce throttle to CLB and turn on the A/P and you should have a stable climb at 180kias initially
  5. Increase the SPD to 210 and 250 while retracting flaps etc.

It is all a little rushed but you should be in a stable climb...

Shez

Archived