De Havilland Tiger Moth DH.82

Perhaps the single most obvious omission in the fleet of aircraft offered for X-Plane is the ubiquitous De Havilland Tiger Moth DH.82, designed and built in the UK and Common Wealth countries.  It was used by a large number of other countries as well. This phenomenal open cockpit biplane first built in 1931 was the primary trainer for the RAF, Canadian, Australian, and South African air forces before and during WWII.  Approximately  8,868 were built.  It continues today with over 250 Tiger Moths still in operation.

The Tiger Moth was offered as a popular X-Plane add-on for early versions but is no longer produced.  Just Flight offered an excellent Tiger Moth add on for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and FSX but it is no longer produced either.

With the advent of VR for  X-Plane, the thrill of experiencing flight in an open cockpit airplane for X-Plane 11 would offer to the Flight Sim community one of the most extraordinary and exhilarating flight experiences one can have.  The ability with VR to see all around you, up - sideways - and down is just made for flight in an open cockpit biplane.  The Tiger Moth with its unique forward mounted and swept back upper wing offered unequalled visibility from the cockpit.  Doing a loop or a barrel roll in a Tiger Moth is an experience to be treasured!  (I know.  I used to own one!)

TheTigerMoth, it is said, “is easy to fly”, making it an excellent primary trainer for new pilots, but also “difficult to fly well” challenging for intermediate pilots.  But, what a joy it is to fly!

There are literally thousand of ex Tiger Moth pilots out here, many now aging who would give their right arm to fly one again.  I hope some innovative individual or Company will produce a new X-Plane version for this exceptional aircraft.

Please login to display this image.

Archived