Odd Mouse scroll behavior

Hi, just installed the CRJ yesterday.  Love the plane.  I’ve noticed strange panning/Mouse scroll behavior I’ve not seen in other aircraft however.  I should state, I am using P3Dv4, and chase plane.  I’ve updated both to the latest versions.  First off, when I scroll the mouse wheel while in the cockpit, it zooms in and out without pressing any other keys.  “Mouse look” is not activated.  This becomes problematic when trying to use the scroll wheel to adjust knobs such as the hdg knob.  It zooms the view at the same time.  This happens with chase plane disabled as well as enabled.

The other issue I’ve noticed is when hovering the mouse over a display that has the ability to “pop out “ in a separate window (FMS for example), if I scroll the Mouse wheel 1 click, it activates the pop out.  Next scroll click closes the pop out, just the way it would when clicking the left mouse button.  None of my other planes exhibit this behavior.  I’ve experimented with PMDG 737, and it doesn’t do either of these things.  I’ve looked through forums, searched the web along with YouTube, and haven’t found any posts describing similar symptoms.  Perhaps I’ve missed some setting somewhere, but I can’t find anything.

sorry for the long post.  Any ideas??

So, tested again this evening.  The initial problem of scrolling the mouse wheel without pressing other keys causing the view to zoom in and out seems to have corrected itself.  The only issue I am left with is the 2d popups occurring with the Mouse scroll wheel when the cursor is over the click spot, such as on the PFD.  It seems to be a CRJ thing.  The scroll wheel will adjust any of the knobs, as it should.  It also activates the 2d panel as if you pressed the left mouse button while hovering over the click spot.  Is there a way to disable 2d click spots with mouse wheel scrolling?  If not, can 2d panels be disabled?  

No, the issue is that when scrolling the mouse wheel when the cursor is over a pop up, the pop up window activates.  It seems like the pop up is set to activate with either scroll wheel motion, or mouse click.  I have to believe this is by design. It becomes problematic when using the mouse to view around the cockpit while zooming. (Using Mouse look) If the cursor happens to go over a click spot while zooming in or out with the mouse wheel, the click spot will activate.

Say you are coming in for a landing, looking around by using the mouse, zooming in and out with the mousewheel as you go to see individual displays better, etc., the cursor happens to move over the PFD while you are zooming/panning, and the pop-up opens and blocks part of your view.

the question I guess is- can the pop up click spots be disabled for Mouse scroll wheel only?  I’d like to still be able to use pop ups, but it would be nice if they only activated with mouse button.  

• Developer

If I get it right, your mouse wheel is set to zoom in/out, correct? If that is the case, it's probably a Chaseplane thing. You should check the settings there and disable it. Nearly every add-on aircraft (and some of the default aircraft too) use the mouse wheel to control knobs.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe it is a Chaseplane thing, Hans.  I have mouse scrolling feature turned off there. I am using the P3D keyboard setting for panning with the mouse. Can't remember the setting name exactly. I'll check next time I am in the sim.  In other planes, as long as this key is pressed and held, the mouse icon in the sim changes to a larger "+" symbol (I think it is also red? not sure), and there is no effect on knobs, clickspots, etc. as I pan and zoom with the mouse. 

Mathijs,

The mouse wheel functionality is only disabled in other VC panels when the space bar is pressed and held. Once released, the mouse wheel functionality goes back to normal.  This is what I am looking for.  I just noticed someone discussing a similar issue caused by the same functionality in the CRJ.  His concern was related to the HUD popping up while panning/zooming with the mouse.  Same thing happens when you hover over any of the pop up gauges, or click spots in the sim.

Take a look at how this function works in the PMDG planes for example.  When you hold the space bar down, you are able to pan with the mouse and zoom in/out with the mouse wheel without affecting any of the click spots.  This is what I am referring to.

Perhaps I have something set up wrong.  Maybe a better way of asking is:  What is the proper way to pan-view and zoom by using the mouse without it causing click spots to activate accidentally?  (while still not losing mouse functionality when not panning)

Just found an old post on the feature - it is within P3D.  It is called "mouse look".  There is a momentary key (space bar) that can be used to enable mouse look while the space bar is held.  When enabled, you can pan and zoom with the mouse.  Can the scroll wheel "click spot" activation be disabled while mouse look is active?  This is what I was referring to and couldn't remember the name. 

• Aerosoft
On 1/19/2018 at 4:29 PM, billkirk888 said:

Perhaps I have something set up wrong.  Maybe a better way of asking is:  What is the proper way to pan-view and zoom by using the mouse without it causing click spots to activate accidentally?  (while still not losing mouse functionality when not panning)

Standard is to keep the spacebar pressed when you pan. But of course you are unable to interact with the cockpit when you use the mouse to look around. 

Archived