CRJ doesn't accept airports

Today I tried to set-up a flight from VCCG to VCBI and just got a "NOT FOUND" message for the departing airport (vice versa it didn't work too). I'm using up-to-date Navigraph data and checked them for faults without anything being obvious. Other smaller airports of Sri Lanka are showing similar problems. In comparison the same inputs made no problem in Aerosoft's Airbus series using the same data structure and actually the same data.

I got the idea that the CRJ might filter airports with shorter runways and changed the related data in VCCG.txt and Airports.txt to a higher value (5200 ft resp. 5215 ft) that should be sufficient at least for emergency operations (Airbus didn't care even for 3500 ft as before) as these values are reflecting the airport as it is shown by Google (even if there is a contradiction between official figures, Navigraph, and what Google shows). That's what I've build (standard textures only, background and LC not shown).

Please login to display this image.

However, nothing helped so far. Other airports seems to work (e.g. VCBI, VCRI, VCCV, VCCC), but not VCCK, VCCG, VCCS). Even a changed dataset like the following one didn't make it (in both mentioned files, of course):

A,VCCG,AMPARAI,7.336944,81.630278,159,11000,13000,6000,0
R,07,70,6000,151,0,0.000,0,7.334809,81.623718,159,3.00,50,1,0
R,25,250,6000,151,0,0.000,0,7.338509,81.632950,159,3.00,50,1,0

There are no approaches, parking information or other gimmicks. Any idea?

Well, it's listed as Military and is only 3600ft long, so maybe one or both of those things disqualifies VCCG. Contact Navigraph about it missing. Might help.

How many "volunteers" want to make this 3600ft take-off with you?

Jerry,

1. Regarding Wikipedia this airport knows dual-use (charter). However, it would be kinda crazy blending out airports that could help during emergency situations (even if Aerosoft's birds are hardened against any failures).
  2. Navigraph's data are okay as the same set works for Aerosoft's airbuses without any problem (the data format is identical as far as I can see, based on ARINC 424). And, I think I was clear that the airports in question are included in the dataset.
  3. I don't need volunteers on board, as the flight should take me empty to VCBI, a rather short hop, no need for extensive fuel as well. I just needed half of the runway length when taking off without any plan. 
  4. I wrote that I modified the airport, by using sat.-pictures as template, my runway has 5,115 ft available and I even manipulated the dataset, unfortunately without success.

Did you try to call this airport in your FMC?

14 hours ago, FlyingAxx said:

Did you try to call this airport in your FMC?

Like you all I got was "not found." I would go back to the source and ask Navigraph about it.

VCCG does exist in Aivlasoft's EFB, although there's no arrivals or departures listed.

Even knowing EFB, I don't have it myself and can't say whether and if so how it uses AI-flightplans. At the moment I did not implement AI traffic (and didn't intend doing so). According to my limited knowledge those airports just know civil charter traffic, but no scheduled connections at all. However, in real life civil airplanes are allowed when following a filed and accepted flight plan as far as I can see.

I'll play a bit with some data field the next days in order to understand better the whole file. Most of it is well understandable, but a few gaps are still there and those might explain a different behaviour of different aircraft using exactly the same data.

Okay, as it seems the CRJ filters runway lengths. Personally I would prefer a possibility having configuration possibility using such a function or not. As far as can recall, the old PMDG 744 had such a possibility for runways having a length of less than 3600 ft :excl:. I didn't find it during my first attempts because of a glitch in FSX I never saw before that might be rather interesting for developers.

On 12/4/2017 at 3:36 PM, JerryJet said:

I would go back to the source and ask Navigraph about it.

I did and edited my recent posting in a sense as described above. It's absolutely a "feature" of the CRJ. I case of emergency, you even can land big birds (if you're lucky) on quite short fields. The best example is a IL-62 touching down at Gollenberg (where Otto Lilienthal made his first flights and unfortunately finally died). It was a planned landing on a 900 m grass strip (downhill, allowing to escape) in order to transfer the bird to its final destination, serving as a museum. 

Here is a video (in German) - two attempts for trial before it happened:

And now somebody should explain why short fields are filtered out. If the answer is "the original CRJ does it" I would be surprised, but would accept it.

Archived